Means to Have TJ surgery

TonySoprano

12 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

I mean I can easily see this as another excuse not to spend money. 

Lol, that is some next level conspiracy thinking. There is no way a player voluntarily goes under the knife and misses a year (plus) without medical necessity verified by multiple doctors. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, that is some next level conspiracy thinking. There is no way a player voluntarily goes under the knife and misses a year (plus) without medical necessity verified by multiple doctors. 

huh? I mean a Means surgery will be another excuse used this offseason to not sign any free agents next year. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Agreed. Isn’t he a FA after next year? Why not try to lock him up given the circumstances?

Well I agree with this sentiment, but I don't know if the Orioles are going to want to spend money on a player coming off a serious injury.

In fact as other posters are speculating this might be used as an excuse to not sign free agents in advance of the 2023 season. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well I agree with this sentiment, but I don't know if the Orioles are going to want to spend money on a player coming off a serious injury.

In fact as other posters are speculating this might be used as an excuse to not sign free agents in advance of the 2023 season. 

Of course, because they don’t want to spend any money. This is the guy you try to lock up with a team friendly deal given the risks and history with Baltimore. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Of course, because they don’t want to spend any money. This is the guy you try to lock up with a team friendly deal given the risks and history with Baltimore. 

It would also buy some goodwill with the fanbase. I'd rather see money spent on John Means instead of signing the next Ubaldo Jimenez. 

If you are rebuilding, risks must be taken because players get hurt no matter what.  It would have been a risk trading him last year or the year before, but that may have turned out well.  It would be a risk to sign him to a long term deal now but this is when you get a bargain that he is right now. 
If not, then you see where he fits in to the squad after rehab .. maybe Grayrod and D Hall and others have stepped up and he can add to a rotation to win or be dealt for other needs.