Trey Mancini 2022

Frobby

I know Santander hit the game winning homer, but let’s give Trey Mancini some credit for the 10-pitch at bat that preceded it.  It’s probably not a coincidence that Santander got a cookie on the very first pitch he saw.

Trey’s BA is up to .292 now.  

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

In May (two days remaining), Trey is hitting .358/.440/.442.   Could inch over .300 on the season with a good day today.   

For some reason, the extra base hits have been pretty few and far between.  The new LF dimensions have definitely affected him — .025 ISO at home, .139 on the road.   But he’s getting on base at a pretty prodigious clip.   

• 2 weeks later...

With his homer last night, Mancini’s slash line stands at .303/.374/.448, for an .822 OPS, 138 OPS+.   Since May 1, he’s hit .352/.434/.528.   Notably, he’s been hitting for a lot more power lately, with 3 doubles and 3 homers in six June games.

From Roch’s article about Mancini today:

“I have greatly enjoyed these first couple months to the season and this group. I think it’s been really exciting to actually see the tide start to turn here, the team get closer, a lot of guys getting experience and prove that they are going to be here for a while. And I really wanted to be part of that, whether I’m here or not in the future.

“I wanted to at least be a big part of the tide turning. That’s been really important to me, and for that to be the case, I knew that I needed to be the best version of myself possible, and I’ve really tried to make that my MO this year.”

“I think I’m more proud of how I’ve gone about staying more even keel and being more concerned with the process than the results, especially early on. I’ve been tested a lot with it this year with a lot of the rough luck, especially maybe in the power department, but at the same time I think I’ve done a good job of just powering through, staying the course and not worrying about any of the things I can’t control. That’s something I always wanted to get better at and was never able to, and this is the first year that I can say that I’ve done a pretty good job of that. And I want and hope to continue doing that. I think if I do, the results should keep going pretty well, and it all kind of blends together, my performance and the way that I treat the process of everything.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mancini-i-wanted-to-at-least-be-a-big-part-of-the-tide-turning

One other think about Mancini: though his bad luck turned around considerably after April, he’s still below his “expected” numbers based on quality of contact:

BA .303, xBA .322

SLG .448, xSLG .580

wOBA .361, xWOBA .409

His strikeout rate this year is 17.6%, by far the lowest of his career and dropped from 23.2% last year.   All in all, he just seems poised to have a very good season.   

So what is the best case scenario for us in terms of what to do with Trey between now and August 2nd?

Is it more likely that we will move him for significant prospects by the deadline?  Or more likely his mutual option gets exercised for 2023?

Just now, Aglets said:

So what is the best case scenario for us in terms of what to do with Trey between now and August 2nd?

Is it more likely that we will move him for significant prospects by the deadline?  Or more likely his mutual option gets exercised for 2023?

If you are Mancini why would you exercise that option?

You don't think he can do better than 1/10?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you are Mancini why would you exercise that option?

You don't think he can do better than 1/10?

I personally think he can do better than that.     Now that I answered your question.......curious for your answer to mine.    What do you think the best case scenario for us is?

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I personally think he can do better than that.     Now that I answered your question.......curious for your answer to mine.    What do you think the best case scenario for us is?

They trade him for actual value.

I like Trey but I don't like the odds of a long term deal to a RH 1B/DH over the age of 30 working out.

The tone of Roch's articles on Mancini always make it sound like he's going to be traded. I guess they do kind of need room for Stowers but Mancini is really helping the offense this year. Tied with Hays for the team lead at 138 OPS+.