Rougned Odor 2022

OsFanSinceThe80s

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

By the way, he never should have swung at that ankle-high pitch today, and was lucky that Choi botched it.  Odor practically fell over backwards after golfing at that ball.

https://www.mlb.com/video/rougned-odor-reaches-on-a-ground-ball-to-first-baseman-ji-man-choi-offici?t=walk-offs

Eh. 2 strikes with the winning run on third he should be swinging at just about anything he can put into play.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Eh. 2 strikes with the winning run on third he should be swinging at just about anything he can make put into play.

Agreed. I really like Rougned Odor and was probably the only one that liked the signing. He's a great teammate and has come through for his team and I'm very proud to have him in an Orioles uniform. Every time he comes to the plate I want him to succeed so badly (probably as much as any of you guys), but I really like the guy. I don't know, maybe I got that feeling from him socking Jose Bautista in the face. I need to Google to see if anyone has changed his jersey to an Orioles uniform when he did that. Would be great. 😂

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

By the way, he never should have swung at that ankle-high pitch today, and was lucky that Choi botched it.  Odor practically fell over backwards after golfing at that ball.

https://www.mlb.com/video/rougned-odor-reaches-on-a-ground-ball-to-first-baseman-ji-man-choi-offici?t=walk-offs

I was glad we won and also that Choi is the one who bothced it.  He's exactly the player we would love if he was on our team but is so frustrating to watch hit against us.  Man he can spoil counts.  And somehow always gets the close pitches.  

33 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I was glad we won and also that Choi is the one who bothced it.  He's exactly the player we would love if he was on our team but is so frustrating to watch hit against us.  Man he can spoil counts.  And somehow always gets the close pitches.  

Completely agree about Choi!!! He's so frustrating to pitch to, I hate it. But I also totally want him on my team. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Choi botched it because he swung at that pitch.  That ball was top spun like nothing I’ve ever seen before, it stuck to the ground like Velcro.  

With that said, he had no business swing at that pitch lol 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm not sure he gets Rutschman even if he gloves it cleanly. Adley was pretty far down the line.

i don't know why so many folks complain about Odor. He is doing what he has done for the last 3 or 4 years. Now I don't really know why the Orioles wanted th at but it's not like this guy has fallen off a cliff or something in Baltimore. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, vab said:

i don't know why so many folks complain about Odor. He is doing what he has done for the last 3 or 4 years. Now I don't really know why the Orioles wanted th at but it's not like this guy has fallen off a cliff or something in Baltimore. 

It's because we don't really know why the Orioles wanted that either. He was terrible in spring and got off to a terrible start. He's been much better of late and has a .723 OPS in May compared to his .523 in April. I'm no longer as Anti-Odor as I was particularly as I don't think he's blocking anyone per se, though I would prefer Urias at 2B everyday to see if he can get going. That said, even with the improved offense and a cumulative 85 OPS+ now, he's still got a -0.3 WAR per Baseball Reference. Mateo and Urias (despite offensive struggles) are at least in the positive, as is Nevin. Now that Rutschman is here and the lineup is a bit deeper, he's somehow a bit less offensive in the lineup now that he's down in the 7 or 8 spot instead of batting 5th. 

15 hours ago, Pickles said:

Eh. 2 strikes with the winning run on third he should be swinging at just about anything he can put into play.

I thought Odor committed to swing early, and was trying to foul that pitch off, just get the bat on it. I was surprised it stayed fair.

As soon as I saw that Adley was running, my thought was "Choi throws home. Rutschman slides. Collision at the plate with Zunino. Rutschman isn't getting up. They're carrying him off the field. It looks bad." I guess I'm a bit fatalistic, at least as far as the Orioles are concerned. 

Sort-of related thought. If I were the manager of an MLB team, I would spend days, maybe a full week, in spring training trying to identify as many guys as possible who can bunt or seem capable of learning how to bunt, give them intensive instruction in ST on bunting (or pulling the bat back) on every kind of pitch, and have them practice regularly during the season. The lower run environment, and especially the automatic runner in extra innings, have increased the number of situations in which a not-for-a-base-hit has value whether or not the bunter has any speed. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I thought Odor committed to swing early, and was trying to foul that pitch off, just get the bat on it. I was surprised it stayed fair.

As soon as I saw that Adley was running, my thought was "Choi throws home. Rutschman slides. Collision at the plate with Zunino. Rutschman isn't getting up. They're carrying him off the field. It looks bad." I guess I'm a bit fatalistic, at least as far as the Orioles are concerned. 

Sort-of related thought. If I were the manager of an MLB team, I would spend days, maybe a full week, in spring training trying to identify as many guys as possible who can bunt or seem capable of learning how to bunt, give them intensive instruction in ST on bunting (or pulling the bat back) on every kind of pitch, and have them practice regularly during the season. The lower run environment, and especially the automatic runner in extra innings, have increased the number of situations in which a not-for-a-base-hit has value whether or not the bunter has any speed. 

Agreed, Knight is a funky pitcher with a killer changeup. Sometime your timing is going to be messed up and you are going to be out in front while it drops out of the zone. That looked like a pretty good pitch. 

I think the blocking the plate rule is a very underrated change that has massively cut down on one of the most dangerous situations in sports. Still high potential for bad things to happen on that play. 

I think it would have been a very difficult play with no time to set himself for an accurate throw. Best chance might have been to flip it straight from the glove in the direction of the catcher. 

Despite having some big moments this week, he's still the first or second guy I would get rid of on this roster (Owings probably has him beat).  Just an unproductive out waiting to happen.  Not good defensively although he turns the double play well. 

This hot week probably buys him another two months on the roster, unfortunately.  

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Despite having some big moments this week, he's still the first or second guy I would get rid of on this roster (Owings probably has him beat).  Just an unproductive out waiting to happen.  Not good defensively although he turns the double play well. 

This hot week probably buys him another two months on the roster, unfortunately.  

I doubt the Orioles would jettison Owings and Odor off the team at the same time. So with Odor now contributing, why not bring up Richie Martin or another player to take Owings spot on the roster.