Collin Burns 2022

RZNJ

6th round pick in 2021.  He didn't how much in his debut but he's certainly doing a nice job in A+ his year.

He's playing mostly SS (12 games with 0 errors) and 2B (4 games with 0 errors)

He's batting .378 in 45 AB's with 3 walks, only 6 strikeouts, with 5 stolen bases in 6 tries.   Not much power with 4 doubles of his 17 hits.

Still, you have a guy with what looks like a reliable glove in the middle IF who also looks to have a better bad than I thought he did.   Probably a utility IF profile but looks pretty good so far.

• 2 weeks later...
44 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Only seen a few throws to first from him, but none needed to be rifled. Does he have the arm to stick at short?

I wasn't wowed by his arm.  But maybe it was because Mayo has a cannon, and Burns' arm just didn't wow in comparison.  He's got good speed and have had a polished approach to the ball fielding.  I think he has some upside.  The game I went to, only Rutschman made more consistent quality contact.

• Upvote 1

.400+ BABIP fueled, but saw today at .346 he's leading the Sally in batting.

Here's the Ironbirds by OPS, with Cowser-Mayo 7th/8th.    Those two guys triple-slash kind of highlight OPS as a crude tool, as wRC on the same page gives it to Cowser and his OBP 117-97.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=14&stats=bat&qual=y&type=1&team=48&season=2022&seasonEnd=2022&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=11,1

It feels like the Prieto skip to AAA might be the opening move as I picture Gunnar and Westburg's plans more set in stone.