The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

If our "Wow offer" is in place, it must be a "Wow, are you serious?" offer.

Angelos: We'll give you 7/150 AND... I'll be your lawyer and offer you a 10% discount. How does that sound? I'll even throw in a bottle of lotion I put on my face. Looks great doesn't it?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely no reason why Angelos shouldn't go 185 he is paying for the savior of his franchise and really the survival of the Baltimore Orioles. Can't put a price tag on that.

He does not see it that way. He is the same guy when asked what he attributes the down turn of the Orioes to, said a run of bad luck.

Not totally against a cap either, but I agree. Teams like the Royals are struggling to pay 30 million or whatever. Having a cap isn't gonna help them.

Salary cap plus more revenue sharing? (although the owners and players would never agree to this!)

Completely disagree about the 20m plus comment. The way contracts keep ballooning like this, Markakis is easily on pace to be in that territory. If AJ Burnett is getting almost 17m right now, all Nick needs to do is put together 3 seasons where he continues to improve, and he will be the marquee offensive player on the market.

Obviously the reason to extend is to avoid the risk of injury. But that's a risk many players have taken before and it has paid off. Nick doesn't have a history of injury to be paranoid about either.

Elite maybe 20 million plus....Markakis is not elite, very good, but not elite. The Yankee signings are knee jerk to not making the playoffs. Red Sox have to react to Yankees. Both react to Tampa Bay. The only teams that are inflating the market are the Red Sox and Yankees, everyone else is stepping back.

Hey Moose you mind if I PM you something I came up with over in another thread and see what you think? I am seriously thinking about writing up a letter to all owners as well as the MLBPA and the commish's office.

Don't send it to the Sux, Spankees, Cubs, Angels, or Dodgers! Or the MLBPA for that matter they wont do squat.

That would be the "flexibility" of the offer, right? We better hope Tex didn't just use PA to up the price.

Tex's family certainly won't be getting the owner's booth if he signs with the Sux.

I wouldn't want to be the Teixeira's in Maryland if Tex does sign with the Sux...

Lets all pretend this is true for a second, and think:

Scott Boras is going to let the Red Sox brass come in and sign Tex without contacting the Orioles to raise the contract. Let alone the fact that the reported deal is 184 million, which just ain't true.

Not totally against a cap either, but I agree. Teams like the Royals are struggling to pay 30 million or whatever. Having a cap isn't gonna help them.
There's a certain argument to creating leagues using economic criteria but there are too many arguments against it. But I won't argue against the sentiment that prompts it.

Lets all pretend this is true for a second, and think:

Scott Boras is going to let the Red Sox brass come in and sign Tex without contacting the Orioles to raise the contract. Let alone the fact that the reported deal is 184 million, which just ain't true.

How is the deal not true?

Tex's family certainly won't be getting the owner's booth if he signs with the Sux.

I wouldn't want to be the Teixeira's in Maryland if Tex does sign with the Sux...

Really Jtrea

Really.

This is over the top.

Whats going to happen to his family?

NOTHING like it should. Because Tex signs in Boston you wouldnt want to be his family.

You need to step away from the keyboard and stop posting this nonsense.

I'm beginning to think that not signing Teixeira would be the smarter long-term move. Is he a player worth typing up $180-$200 million? I don't think so. The Orioles have so many holes to fill that I would not want them to sign Teixeira if his contract would, in any way, limit the ability of the club to fill their holes in the next couple of years. Right now the Orioles don't have a long-term SS, 2B, or 3B, and they have one proven legitimate starter. One.

Anyway, I've gone from being enthusiastic about getting Teixeira to feeling agnostic. I will be happy if he plays for Baltimore, but I could also easily foresee a scenario where missing out on him will not hurt the club in the long run. Right now the offers being thrown at him are reaching A-Rod level, and he's simply not that quality of player. If this was Albert Pujols that would be different, but he's a level beneath Pujols.

Salary cap plus more revenue sharing? (although the owners and players would never agree to this!)

Yeah, it's a nice thought but it'd never happen.

Hey Moose you mind if I PM you something I came up with over in another thread and see what you think? I am seriously thinking about writing up a letter to all owners as well as the MLBPA and the commish's office.

PM me whenever you want dude, you sure as hell don't need my permission.

Archived