The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

If Onley says 4 or 5 more days then it will probably be 4 or 5 more hours before we have our guy:D . I really think Tex wants this done now, he doesn't want to have this over his head for the holidays. Plus him and his wife need to be able to buy O's stuff for their kids.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which I don't really believe, either. Or you could believe Peter Gammons, who two days ago said this would be resolved in 48 hours.

This is just another example of taking everything you hear with a grain of salt.

I'm so sick and tired of all the BS coming from ESPN on this matter... they know everything about nothing and they should be embarresed about what they are reporting.

There story changes every 24 hours and normally it is totally diffrent from the previous days report.

150mil isn't cheap, it's called being realistic, Tex doesn't deserve anything higher the 20mil IMO. Even when PA tries to do something right people will always find a way to take a shot at him.

The market is the market. I am sure when you bought your house (or car) you would have liked to have gotten it for cheaper. But if you weren't willing to pay what others are willing to pay, then you are cheap.

I have defended Angelos repeatedly on this Board and can understand the justification for not completely selling out to Tex. That being said, there have been numerous times where he has chastised others for paying what the market bore (e.g. Mussina, Oswalt, etc...) At a certain point it is fair to wonder if he is just too cheap to pony up the money (though he did try to with Konerko).

Which I don't really believe, either. Or you could believe Peter Gammons, who two days ago said this would be resolved in 48 hours.

This is just another example of taking everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Textbook ESPN.

Report every angle and you have to be right eventually.

In my opinion, this will be done before Christmas so Boras can start holding teams up for Manny.

Latest word here is that Teixeira is about to have one hell of a gift under his tree this year, as the battle for his services appears to be coming down to the Red Sox, Nationals and Angels, with the Orioles likely to be on the outside looking in. In addition, the Red Sox have stated that they wont go past eight years on a deal, so that might mean that the Nationals and Angels are the finalists, since it clearly appears that as a Scott Boras client, all that matters is how many zeros are on a check.

As for Tex, is he worth those multi-millions? We'll wait to really break down his performance over his career until the deal is consummated, but we'll leave you with this for now:

Teixeira has hit at least .306-30-105 with a .960 OPS the past two seasons, and he is the only man in baseball that can make that claim.

-Ray Flowers, RotoTimes

Come on O's fans - being a pessimist is a waste of time (with regards to Tex signing and life in general)!

I really believe the O's can pull this off. (If not, life goes on and there will be new opportunities in the future)

Who's with me ? :gallden:

Not signing Tex is not Orioles Armaggedon. Regardless if they sign him or not, I am as optimistic about this organization as I have been in many many years. We are headed in a good direction. If we don't land Tex it will be disappointing sure but not the end of the Orioles world. (Maybe the end of the OH world)

Well that would play into what you deem the value of the car you are bidding on is, but that is subjective. Also important are opportunity costs of committing $160 or more million to one player.

While I would love to sign Tex, I don't think that if we don't we are doomed forever.

Well if you look at BATNA's:

Orioles BATNA: Sign Millar, and have a hole to fill at 1B in future years

Teix/Boras: Tex signs with Boston/NY for massive money and has a great career.

Seems their BATNA is a bit stronger.

Well he is a horrible person but man the guy is good at what he does.

Please give me one example of what makes Scott Boras a "horrible person." I mean something not related to the tough stances he takes for his clients - remembering that he's doing his job, getting the best possible deal for his players.

Has he been convicted of any crimes that I don't know about; been accused of being a pedophile or kicking his dog more often than Miguel Tejada or Ramon Martinez?

Come on O's fans - being a pessimist is a waste of time (with regards to Tex signing and life in general)!

I really believe the O's can pull this off. (If not, life goes on and there will be new opportunities in the future)

Who's with me ? :gallden:

If Tex goes the the Red Sox, let's all just think about the 2011 playoffs when the O's knock-out the Sox en route to a World Series Championship. :D (Just think happy thoughts)

Archived