The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

As I have said from the beginning...this all will come back to one person...Peter Angelos.

Boston isn't going to get into a bidding war..They are going to put a high offer on the table and Tex can either take it or leave it. They have a limit.

So, when that limit is reached, it is up to PA to beat that...If he does, Tex will be on Oriole...If not, Tex won't be.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 7/$150M offer is just the ante.

Putting that offer up gets us a seat at the table with the other players.

It isn't "cheap", it isn't "the lowest offer", it isn't anything more than the ante.

AM & PGA now get to play the game.

I don't believe for a second that AM or PGA thought 7/150 would "get it done".

But you don't get a chance to make the winning bid unless you're sitting at the table with the other players.

The O's are now sitting at the table and playing their cards (albeit close to the vest), which is the best place we can be until the game is over.

I hope AM is holding Pocket Aces!

Come on O's fans - being a pessimist is a waste of time (with regards to Tex signing and life in general)!

I really believe the O's can pull this off. (If not, life goes on and there will be new opportunities in the future)

Who's with me ? :gallden:

Amen. Maybe we can go get somebody that can actually get somebody out. I mean 10-8 games are fun to watch, but, if you want to compete in this division you must have pitching. Even the yankees finally realize that.

just watched sportscenter and olney says this can go another 4 or 5 days

Teixeira said a long time ago that he wants this wrapped up before Christmas. For those keeping track CHRISTMAS IS IN 4-5 DAYS. Olney is just parroting old information just to keep himself relevant. I will not listen to Buster Olney; ESPN reports things that make itself look good, not to report "news", and I think that bias makes ESPN a liability when it comes to getting information.

Not signing Tex is not Orioles Armaggedon. Regardless if they sign him or not, I am as optimistic about this organization as I have been in many many years. We are headed in a good direction. If we don't land Tex it will be disappointing sure but not the end of the Orioles world. (Maybe the end of the OH world)

Maybe so, but how are we going to be able to retain any talent we may develop if we continue to be ineffective in the free agent market.

Textbook ESPN.

Report every angle and you have to be right eventually.

In my opinion, this will be done before Christmas so Boras can start holding teams up for Manny.

I honestly don't think it's just Boras holding this up. The Yankees have probably contacted him and Tex saying they have intrest. And they know as long as the Sox, Angels and O's are all tied up fighting for him they won't be going as hard after other free agents that could strengthen they're teams. So they are being very methodical knowing Boras and Tex are going to wait and see what they want to offer. I think the O's will make another final offer, but past occurences tell me Angelos still won't offer enough to lure Tex to Baltimore.

Yankees haven't really performed in several years, as far as a World Series goes.

Philadelphia is a large market and just won the world series, don't think they get much attention. I dunno there are a lot of things about ESPn that bugs me. Like when TO sneezes, they run it as breaking news all day. It just seems like they are wrong so often, in the interest of trying to be "first". Like announcing Furcal to the braves. ESPN is like those annoying 13 year olds who write "FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in the comments section of an article.

The issue is that ESPN shows stuff that sells ads. People watch TV when something about TO comes up. Unfortunately, most people don't care what the Orioles do or don't do. Running a story about how the Orioles are rebuilding doesn't sell ads. Big market teams and good teams sell ads.

The fans caused this. IMO, there are very few true baseball fans. There are many more INSERT_TEAM_NAME_HERE fans. If their team is out of it, they're done with it. I couldn't tell you how many times I read on a contender's forum that since their team was out, they had no interest watching the World Series. Why? That's a sad state. The biggest series of the year and you're not watching it because your team didn't make it? Give me a break. Someone needs to take your baseball fan card away from you.

I hate the Yankees and the Red Sox as much as the next guy, but you couldn't pay me to not watch the World Series. I buy MLB EI every year just because I like seeing all of the teams. I know I can already get all of the Os games I want, but I just like the game in general.

Also, it makes me upset to read comments on MLBTradeRumors that some small/bad team shouldn't get XYZ big free agent because they're bad. They're bad so they shouldn't get a chance to improve? Having so many bad teams is a black eye on MLB's face. We should want teams to improve. We should want as many respectable teams as possible. That would be good for the game. Having so many games actually count at the end of the year would be great.

I guess I'm bitter.

Well if you look at BATNA's:

Orioles BATNA: Sign Millar, and have a hole to fill at 1B in future years

Teix/Boras: Tex signs with Boston/NY for massive money and has a great career.

Seems their BATNA is a bit stronger.

I get that there is this overall feeling that Tex is a must have and we can play out scenarios all day if you like but all I am saying is that I trust AM to do what is in the O's best interest. If he deems that going over our current bid (which by the way he as already said he would) would not be worth it then I am willing to say that it is due to smart decision making not frugality.

I honestly don't think it's just Boras holding this up. The Yankees have probably contacted him and Tex saying they have intrest. And they know as long as the Sox, Angels and O's are all tied up fighting for him they won't be going as hard after other free agents that could strengthen they're teams. So they are being very methodical knowing Boras and Tex are going to wait and see what they want to offer. I think the O's will make another final offer, but past occurences tell me Angelos still won't offer enough to lure Tex to Baltimore.

I was unclear.

By holding up, I meant "armed robbery" not delaying things.

Boras moves slow but its in his best interests to get Tex signed so he can start fleecing teams for Manny.

As I have said from the beginning...this all will come back to one person...Peter Angelos.

Boston isn't going to get into a bidding war..They are going to put a high offer on the table and Tex can either take it or leave it. They have a limit.

So, when that limit is reached, it is up to PA to beat that...If he does, Tex will be on Oriole...If not, Tex won't be.

Exactly. Boston is not careless and willing to overpay like the Yankees. It all comes down to if PA wants to pull the trigger or not. If he does then Tex will be an Oriole.

Please give me one example of what makes Scott Boras a "horrible person." I mean something not related to the tough stances he takes for his clients - remembering that he's doing his job, getting the best possible deal for his players.

Has he been convicted of any crimes that I don't know about; been accused of being a pedophile or kicking his dog more often than Miguel Tejada or Ramon Martinez?

Ok, maybe a horrible person is a strong. I am just guessing that he is not someone I would want to be pals with (unless of course he is buying)

Archived