The Teixeira Watch: Part V - AM says the O's "have flexibility" on Tex

Jagwar

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He'd be part of the package. And it wouldn't have to be Smoak.

Markakis and Roberts for ACab, Laporta, Mills, Miller and Hodges

That's just an example...

That's different from what I thought you were saying. That being said, I am not trading Markakis unless we can not sign him to an extension and we have a lot of time for that. Like Sports Guy, however, I think we will sign him to an extension regardless of whether we sign Teixeira.

Given our situation...yes. By the time this team is ready to compete Guthrie will be past his prime. I could care less that it will cost us some wins while we rebuild.

Guthrie is 30 but its not like he is a 30 year old who has been a workhorse pitcher for the last 10 years. The dude has a relatively young/fresh arm, a lot of pitchers pitch way into their 40's. There is no reason to think Guth will not be pitching at this level for the next 5 or so years, which would fit into the window in which everyone feels we will begin to be competitive.

I no longer believe that the Orioles have not increased the original offer at this point. I do believe that AM has every reason to keep it quiet. These guys... their sources are not talking.

Any one know whats going on over at the Sox board and the Angels board?

I think it being this quiet today is a good thing for us. Just have a strange feeling about it.....I hope:pray:

Lend me a little of that feeling because I'm losing hope as this drags out... only could mean Boras is trying to get the Yankees to bite. If the Yanks block the Sox from getting Tex... they really win.

Guthrie is 30 but its not like he is a 30 year old who has been a workhorse pitcher for the last 10 years. The dude has a relatively young/fresh arm, a lot of pitchers pitch way into their 40's. There is no reason to think Guth will not be pitching at this level for the next 5 or so years, which would fit into the window in which everyone feels we will begin to be competitive.

Maybe, but I typically don't expect 30 year old pitchers to to get better as they age...it happens, but I believe Guthrie has hit his ceiling and will play at this level for a couple more years....then slowly decline. By the time we are a contender he'll be a 3 or 4 starter...I'd personally rather take a chance on stud like Smoak.

Maybe, but I typically don't expect 30 year old pitchers to to get better as they age...it happens, but I believe Guthrie has hit his ceiling and will play at this level for a couple more years....then slowly decline. By the time we are a contender he'll be a 3 or 4 starter...I'd personally rather take a chance on stud like Smoak.

That would be very reasonable thinking. Ballplayers peak 27-29 and usually maintain through 31 or 32 before a noticable decline begins. Guthrie came up to the majors later in life (relatively speaking) so he should be able to stay on the "older" end of that scale.

I really like Guthrie and am glad he fired Scott Boras as his agent.

That would be very reasonable thinking. Ballplayers peak 27-29 and usually maintain through 31 or 32 before a noticable decline begins. Guthrie came up to the majors later in life (relatively speaking) so he should be able to stay on the "older" end of that scale.

I really like Guthrie and am glad he fired Scott Boras as his agent.

That was awesome that he told Boras to take a walk. Heard he did it face to face too...right in Boras' Vegas hotel room. I wonder what his motivation was?

Personally I think it would take more than Guthrie to obtain Smoak, my initial comment was aimed towards someone saying Markakis and Guth for a Smoak like player, which I think would be absolutely ridiculous.

That was awesome that he told Boras to take a walk. Heard he did it face to face too...right in Boras' Vegas hotel room. I wonder what his motivation was?

I think he said it made sense for his personal and professional outlook. Glad he got rid of that scum.

That's why he's one of my absolute favorite O's.

In JTrea's defense, I saw Smoak in college and he is the real deal. That said, I think Matusz was the right pick.

I am well aware of Smoak's NCAA numbers.

There were a lot of guys who tore the cover off the ball in college. Just because they do that doesn't mean they'll translate to professional ball.

Chris Burke, Tennessee .435/.537/.815

Mike Aubrey, Tulane .420/.505/.733

Brian Anderson, AZ .366/.425/.668

Rickie Weeks, Southern .500/.619/.987

John-Ford Griffin, Florida State .450/.542/.797

Jake Gautreau, Tulane .355/.435/.659

Gabe Gross, Auburn .327/.469/.644

There are lots of examples of guys who absolutely raked in college but hit the wall in professional baseball.

Personally I think it would take more than Guthrie to obtain Smoak, my initial comment was aimed towards someone saying Markakis and Guth for a Smoak like player, which I think would be absolutely ridiculous.

Yeah I probably wouldn't offer Markakis up for Smoak unless he showed no interest in ever signing an extension.

They would most likely want another player like one of our stud pitching prospects to go along with Guthrie in order to get Smoak. I wouldn't do that deal...but if they offer up Guthrie for Smoak straight up...I sign that quick before they had a chance to change their mind.

Archived