Trezza: the talent wave is coming

Frobby

Obviously, the farm system rank will drop for a bit. But smart drafting, player development, and a talent pipeline from the Caribbean nations and Asia should hopefully keep us in the top half.

Ideally, you're winning at the MLB level and you have a T10 farm system. That's how you achieve sustained success.

Signed,
Captain Obvious

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..I don’t think they are being overrated but I also agree with CoC.  Everyone wants to act like a top farm system means we are winning long term.  Ask the Phillies about that.  

There is a lot to be hopeful about and I have been one of the few on here who wants them to spend now and look to win now and long term because I do believe in the talent.

But the constant worrying about farm system rankings has reached a very high annoyance level.  It means nothing other than we have talent and some of that talent is either trying to stay healthy or just perform at a rate worthy of a promotion.  

Yeah obviously nothing is guaranteed... I definitely feel more confident in this regime's ability to sustain a little better than any in recent memory. 

• Upvote 1

Hopefully they are able to make some impactful trades sometime  soon that will require getting rid of some high-end talent.  That will negatively impact the rankings significantly  but positively impact the MLB roster which is the entire goal (or at least should be). 

Gives me PTSD of "The Calvary."

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

But the constant worrying about farm system rankings has reached a very high annoyance level.  It means nothing other than we have talent and some of that talent is either trying to stay healthy or just perform at a rate worthy of a promotion.  

It is getting obnoxious.  But when that's all you've got to look forward to, it's not surprising that it's what everyone wants to focus on.

• Upvote 2

Addition by subtraction fun.

Through 28 games the Chirinos-Bemboom catching opener has compiled -0.5 WAR, pacing towards perhaps a -3.0 WAR season from the position if there is any kind of tricep setback.

I guess if you believe Adley begins as a 3.0 WAR/650 type player, next homestand he might represent a 6-win upgrade for the onfield team.   

Rutschman-Rodriguez 90th percentile type outcomes unseating Bemboom-Watkins at their most fanciful might increase the roster's true talent level 15-20 wins before we get to if the tool of money can do anything for the 2023 team. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Question... once Adley, GRod and Hall are promoted (with Bradish already there), what impact will that have on the ranking of the farm system?

Well, obviously it's very early in the season and guys can still right the ship or break out, but out of our top 10 prospects not covered above, only Gunnar Henderson has solidified himself as a top 100 prospect in baseball. Mayo is holding his own in Single A while Cowser has struggled. Westburg has been in awful slump for weeks now, and Stowers has slumped after a hot start. Norby has been doing ok in Aberdeen.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well this is assuming we aren't being overrated, which is certainly possible.

i have to agree a bit here. The system as whole is not exactly tearing it up. As I explained in a previous spot, the Top 10 guys outside of Rutschman, Rodriguez and Hall are not exactly lighting it up in the early going outside of Gunnar. 

There's nobody but Prieto (who pulled a hamstring) who was really banging on that top 10 door who will still be in the rankings next year. Obviously whoever we draft first overall in July will get a top 1-3 spot depending on who is still eligible.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, obviously it's very early in the season and guys can still right the ship or break out, but out of our top 10 prospects not covered above, only Gunnar Henderson has solidified himself as a top 100 prospect in baseball. Mayo is holding his own in Single A while Cowser has struggled. Westburg has been in awful slump for weeks now, and Stowers has slumped after a hot start. Norby has been doing ok in Aberdeen.

But most people told me we had to keep 2B and/or SS open for Westburg...

This is why you never stop trying to acquire talent and going into this year with Odor/Mateo/Urias/ Gutierrez was asanine. If the prospect aren't ready to contribute now you go into next year with the same holes.

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

But most people told me we had to keep 2B and/or SS open for Westburg...

This is why you never stop trying to acquire talent and going into this year with Odor/Mateo/Urias/ Gutierrez was asanine. If the prospect aren't ready to contribute now you go into next year with the same holes.

I wouldn't count Westburg out. Lots of talent there, but just really scuffling. i do think you leave 3B open for Henderson or Mayo though.

15 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..I don’t think they are being overrated but I also agree with CoC.  Everyone wants to act like a top farm system means we are winning long term.  Ask the Phillies about that.  

There is a lot to be hopeful about and I have been one of the few on here who wants them to spend now and look to win now and long term because I do believe in the talent.

🎯🎯🎯

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Literally no one is doing that but feel free to push that narrative.  SMH

Relax. It was a jokey throwaway post, I'm not pushing any narrative. It's 8:30 in the morning man. I haven't even had my breakfast yet and you're peeing in my cornflakes already.