• WPA: 12th
  • HR rate: 11th
  • Hard hit%: 13th
  • Barrel%: 16th
  • Exit velocity: 22nd
  • xwOBA: 29th
  • whiff%: 7th
  • weak contact%: 12th

Definitely a mixed bag here.  On one hand, the K rate sucks.  OTOH, the whiff% would indicate that the K rate should get better.  The BB rate has been very good and what we are getting from Tyler Wells is a big help there.  The HR rate will go up but can they keep other stats the same or get better?

• Upvote 4

I wonder if the lower K-rate is just a product of them throwing more strikes early in the count and/or the catchers setting up in the middle of the plate. I don't have a problem with inducing contact, and that checks out with the amount of double plays we're turning. Allowing more hits here and there, but inducing more contact for outs. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I wonder if the lower K-rate is just a product of them throwing more strikes early in the count and/or the catchers setting up in the middle of the plate. I don't have a problem with inducing contact, and that checks out with the amount of double plays we're turning. Allowing more hits here and there, but inducing more contact for outs. 

I like it more when they induce swings and misses.  A lot more risk in inducing contact.

I’d say the pitching hasn’t been awful.  That’s a big step up.  There are a few signs in your numbers that there could be tougher times ahead.  I pretty much expect that.  But when you look at how putrid our pitching has been the last several years, just being somewhat below average would be a huge improvement.   

It’s impossible to measure the mental aspect from the ballpark fences being moved back. Are the pitchers more aggressive this year? 

I think they are overachieving but that said clearly better than last year. Grayson will at some point take over in the Watkins spot of the rotation. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’d say the pitching hasn’t been awful.  That’s a big step up.  There are a few signs in your numbers that there could be tougher times ahead.  I pretty much expect that.  But when you look at how putrid our pitching has been the last several years, just being somewhat below average would be a huge improvement.   

Agreed.  I think many on the site are overrating the pitching.  Its funny, when you look at the Mateo thread, people are pointing that his offense is almost average because offense is down yet when they talk about pitching, all they talk about is how great they have been.  The consistency, or lack there of, is amusing.

That said, there are positive signs and while I don't think it will keep up, they should be improved and that doesn't take into account what is coming up..at least hopefully coming up, from the minors.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I like it more when they induce swings and misses.  A lot more risk in inducing contact.

Sure. But you have to like the improvement from guys like Akin with this new approach. The lack of walk-related implosions has been nice. 

And I think the Ks are still there enough so that it isn't too imbalanced. Take Akin last night: 2.2 IP, 2 BB, 4 Ks. 9 Ks for the evening against a team that doesn't strikeout too much. 

I'd be more concerned if our pitchers were known as a bunch of iffy stuff guys. But we have strikeout-capable pitchers and guys with great stuff. 

Last year we were 2nd to last in K's but 8th in BB. I wonder if Elias has looked at our organization and decided we're just never going to be a big K/9 team and that is part of moving the wall out. Either way, I love, love, love the improvement in throwing strikes. I know it is more complicated but if teams value OBP with hitters they should value pitchers who throw strikes. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Last year we were 2nd to last in K's but 8th in BB. I wonder if Elias has looked at our organization and decided we're just never going to be a big K/9 team and that is part of moving the wall out. Either way, I love, love, love the improvement in throwing strikes. I know it is more complicated but if teams value OBP with hitters they should value pitchers who throw strikes. 

I truly hope he's not that stupid.  (and I don't think he is...getting Ks and missing bats is extremely important)

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I truly hope he's not that stupid.

I think it's more likely he thought, "hopefully we develop/acquire strikeout pitchers, and also, let's move the wall back because that can't hurt". Obviously, he would like to have both things. 

Is the pitching good? No. Is it bad? Also no. Is that a huge step in the right direction? Yes.

I mostly like the bullpen (though the key is to avoid overworking them so they fall apart in the second half). Zimmermann and Bradish give me hope for future starters. Lyles will regress a bit as will Watkins (he's already up to a 5.19 ERA) and I still don't know what to think of Wells as a starter, but he's certainly a Major League pitcher in some regard. 

The pitching has been okay. It will regress without supplementing it. Thankfully we have Rodriguez and Hall on the way along with Vespi. Is that enough to stop a regression? Probably not, but at least the pitching is (and should remain) a significant step up from the disastrous pitching of last year. 

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I truly hope he's not that stupid.  (and I don't think he is...getting Ks and missing bats is extremely important)

Lol, I wasn't suggesting we never develop strikeout pitchers, just looking at the current level of pitching talent in the system.

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Lol, I wasn't suggesting we never develop strikeout pitchers, just looking at the current level of pitching talent in the system.

You mean the level that says we have lots of high strike out guys headlined by Hall and GRod?

You think he will make, literally, a ballpark altering decision because of a few MiL/ML pitchers we currently have, many of which will not be contributors when this team is a contender?