Kumar reappears

On 6/19/2022 at 3:53 PM, waroriole said:

If Rocker doesn’t sign after this draft is he subject to the draft next year? Is there a point he gets free agency?

I am curious about this too, however as far as I know if a team selects you in the draft and you don't sign, you need to reenter the draft the next year and don't become a FA until you enter the draft and go through unselected. 

The draft rules have changed some recently, but I think of the Matt Harrington debacle, where he was drafted 5 times and never signed and went through the draft again and became a FA because of no selection. However at that point no one really wanted him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Harrington

• Upvote 1

Just as a thought exercise, I suppose it is conceivable that if he's collaborating with the Orioles on medical imaging, his next few turns of ~90 pitches each are of requisite quality and his number is very attractive...     That said, similar opportunity there a year ago (number probably much firmer then) and Cowser was the choice.

Some of the fun of 2 weeks from tonight...more at 33-42-67...will be seeing if any sooner rather than later pitchers are selected.

Even more so than Brooks Lee, Rocker might be the Announcing Presence with Authority to the decade's competition style choice.    Nothing about him vs. Jones or the other top candidates as ballplayers, just a referendum on just how good Elias is feeling on his Gunnar-boosted, Kjerstad-cautious-optimism core.

It was a collosal failure of the Mets to not sign Kumar.  The Mets owner is worth $15 billion.  They could have at least made Kumar a 1/2 price offer around $3 million.  If Kumar becomes a middle of rotation starter, it is a huge loss for them.  Even the Mets run out of money when signing players at 30-40 million+ per year.  The Dodgers gave the O's Diaz who cost them $31 million instead of giving the O's a better prospect.  Do you think the Dodgers were worried about that $31 million?

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It was a collosal failure of the Mets to not sign Kumar.  The Mets owner is worth $15 billion.  They could have at least made Kumar a 1/2 price offer around $3 million.  If Kumar becomes a middle of rotation starter, it is a huge loss for them.  Even the Mets run out of money when signing players at 30-40 million+ per year.  The Dodgers gave the O's Diaz who cost them $31 million instead of giving the O's a better prospect.  Do you think the Dodgers were worried about that $31 million?

It would have been a colossal failure if they hadn't gotten the pick back.

It isn't about the money, it's about spending a pick on a guy that failed your physical.

Think where the Astros would be if they had followed your logic and signed Aiken.

57 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Meh.  It was last September and he’s throwing well now.  Sounds like it was a minor procedure.  I’m sure it has some impact to where any team sees his value.  But it’s pretty close to full transparency.  Rank him appropriately but I wouldn’t just completely disregard him.  I would have no issues with him at #33 or later.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't about the money, it's about spending a pick on a guy that failed your physical.

Think where the Astros would be if they had followed your logic and signed Aiken.

Each case is different. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's probably worth it if you can sign a guy at half price.  About half of the top college pitching prospects have already had Tommy John or another major surgery, so according to you, no team should sign them. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Wouldn't reading that make you feel better about him?  Minor scope not involved labrum or rotator cuff. 

He had shoulder surgery already.  Run for the hills.  

It seems to have worked for right now…but I have my doubts long term.  Shoulders are really tough to overcome.  

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He had shoulder surgery already.  Run for the hills.  

It seems to have worked for right now…but I have my doubts long term.  Shoulders are really tough to overcome.  

We don't have all of the information.  Boras calls it minor surgery.  Doubtful the Mets don't sign him if that's the whole story.  Still for someone who wants upside you wouldn't consider him for #33 if he's there?  It depends on the medicals. I certainly wouldn't close the book on him based on what's out there so far.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It's probably worth it if you can sign a guy at half price.  About half of the top college pitching prospects have already had Tommy John or another major surgery, so according to you, no team should sign them. 

I didn't say that 

Would Aiken at half price been a good deal?

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

We don't have all of the information.  Boras calls it minor surgery.  Doubtful the Mets don't sign him if that's the whole story.  Still for someone who wants upside you wouldn't consider him for #33 if he's there?  It depends on the medicals. I certainly wouldn't close the book on him based on what's out there so far.

I would rather get one of the pitchers who has had TJ surgery.

I had a lot of doubts about Rocker anyway but this is icing on the cake for me.

Now, if he was there with our third or 4th pick, sure I would take the gamble but he won’t be.

• Like 1