Kumar reappears

55 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

This is a really good point and not something I had thought of before. It makes me wonder about the inner workings of Boras Corp. Obviously Boras is the face and is part of the negotiations for the huge money deals, but he has hundreds of clients so has to have a huge amount of reps that fall under him. I wonder how that works, like lets say Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins are both represented by BorasCorp (I have no idea if they are), and they both want to approach the Orioles about a potential extension around the same time...is there inner-Boras-office communication about that or is more like brokers working for the same firm but really working for themselves...

Don't mean to derail the thread, but just thought you brought up a really interesting perspective I hadn't considered before. Thanks!

I think the rules generally are pretty loose.  For example, let’s say the Yankees are looking for an ace starter and the same agency represents the top two starters on the market.   You can see how that gets very tricky.   

I am sure the clients probably sign a document saying that they know the agency represents many players and they waive any conflict of interest arising from such representations.   That still doesn’t help much when the Yankees say, “we’re offering Client A 7/$245 mm, you’ve got 24 hours to accept it, or we’re offering it to Client B.”

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CharmCityHokie said:

This is a really good point and not something I had thought of before. It makes me wonder about the inner workings of Boras Corp. Obviously Boras is the face and is part of the negotiations for the huge money deals, but he has hundreds of clients so has to have a huge amount of reps that fall under him. I wonder how that works, like lets say Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins are both represented by BorasCorp (I have no idea if they are), and they both want to approach the Orioles about a potential extension around the same time...is there inner-Boras-office communication about that or is more like brokers working for the same firm but really working for themselves...

Don't mean to derail the thread, but just thought you brought up a really interesting perspective I hadn't considered before. Thanks!

In the past, Boras and I assume his employees, have put the needs/demands of his top clients first.  He will press teams on signing his highest ranked free agent before doing much for a lower free agent.  Let's say there are 3 potential landing spots for a SS who wants a $300 million deal, and 10 potential landing spots for a SS who wants a $50 million deal, Boras is not going to take one of those $300 mill slots away by signing the $50 mill deal early.  I assume the same would work in the draft.  I'm not sure how it would work if there were 2 equal free agents or draft prospects.  I assume Boras would demand the max for both.  In the case of the draft prospects, he would be demanding slot value.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the rules generally are pretty loose.  For example, let’s say the Yankees are looking for an ace starter and the same agency represents the top two starters on the market.   You can see how that gets very tricky.   

I am sure the clients probably sign a document saying that they know the agency represents many players and they waive any conflict of interest arising from such representations.   That still doesn’t help much when the Yankees say, “we’re offering Client A 7/$245 mm, you’ve got 24 hours to accept it, or we’re offering it to Client B.”

Boras is the master of headgames.  He's done the "mystery team" more times than we can count and rarely got burned.  I'm sure the O's got saddled w/ Davis' $162 million contract over a "mystery team"

According to Jim Callis and Sam Dykstra on their podcast, Kumar had shoulder surgery in September 2021. Apparently, it was of a more minor nature, a scope. Though they did point out there is no such thing as minor shoulder surgery. They said the news came out Saturday night and they have released the records. Interesting. I don’t think he makes it to 33. 

I think he may well get to 33. Due to his risk and teams not wanting to miss on their first pick, he just makes more sense as a team's second pick.

If he doesn't make it to 33 it would make sense for him to go to a contender that plans to use him in the pen this year.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

I think he will get to 33. Due to his risk and teams not wanting to miss on their first pick, he just makes more sense as a team's second pick.

If he doesn't make it to 33 it would make sense for him to go to a contender that plans to use him in the pen this year.

Exactly what I think will happen. 

Immediate help with the chance of a big payoff down the road.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Exactly what I think will happen. 

Immediate help with the chance of a big payoff down the road.

That way even if he ends up blowing out his arm, the team that drafted him can say that they at least got something out of the pick.

Given that the median 20th to 30th pick ends up with a negative rWAR anyway, I can see that making sense.

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I think he may well get to 33. Due to his risk and teams not wanting to miss on their first pick, he just makes more sense as a team's second pick.

So he makes double sense for the Orioles. Second pick and a contender……

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Two things.   Teams picking mid 1st are going to want him because the odds on their picks being anything special are slim.   However, the problem is that Boras is going to want as close to the 6M signing bonus from last year as he can get so he's probably floating a number to teams so they know they have to go overslot to get him.  How much leverage does Kumar/Boras have to pull that move?   I don't know but it's possible he could slide to a team like the Orioles who have the extra money to go way overslot.    So, do teams picking mid 1st round mortgage their draft to sign Kumar?   Do they offer him slot and say take it or leave it?     I don't think he gets to 33.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Two things.   Teams picking mid 1st are going to want him because the odds on their picks being anything special are slim.   However, the problem is that Boras is going to want as close to the 6M signing bonus from last year as he can get so he's probably floating a number to teams so they know they have to go overslot to get him.  How much leverage does Kumar/Boras have to pull that move?   I don't know but it's possible he could slide to a team like the Orioles who have the extra money to go way overslot.    So, do teams picking mid 1st round mortgage their draft to sign Kumar?   Do they offer him slot and say take it or leave it?     I don't think he gets to 33.

Very excited to find out. But I would be somewhat surprised if he goes before 20 or so. And I would be doubly surprised if he goes significantly overslot given that he has absolutely no leverage whatsoever. He will be 23 to start next season, is he going to pitch a whole year in an independent league? That $6M is gone, no use thinking about it at this point.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Very excited to find out. But I would be somewhat surprised if he goes before 20 or so. And I would be doubly surprised if he goes significantly overslot given that he has absolutely no leverage whatsoever. He will be 23 to start next season, is he going to pitch a whole year in an independent league? That $6M is gone, no use thinking about it at this point.

I will be very surprised if Kumar signs for slot if he goes after pick 10.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I will be very surprised if Kumar signs for slot if he goes after pick 10.

If a team goes overslot for him, they are morons.  Murph is right..he has zero leverage. He has an iffy injury history at best and entered last years draft with question marks.  

Is he going to go back to the Indy leagues if he doesn’t get enough money?  Is he that stupid?