Kumar reappears

40 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't say that 

Would Aiken at half price been a good deal?

The draft is the best way for small and medium market teams to add premium talent.  So if you punt on the pick you have in a certain year, you have already f'ed up.  The Astros got lucky and made it up, but I wouldn't advise it as a plan of action.  Would the O's refusing to sign Jones as the #1 pick be a wise course of action?  Of course not.  Do things in baseball and life sometimes work out after you f@#k up?  Yes!  But that doesn't mean you did the right thing.  If Kumar is healthy now, the Mets passed up a chance to draft one of the best college arms in recent history.   The kind of arm the Mets are happy to pay $40 mill/yr for if Kumar realizes his potential.  I can't see any way that can be viewed as a success.  Could Kumar fail?  Of course, so could any top pitcher in the draft or any player for that matter. 

23 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Even more so than Brooks Lee, Rocker might be the Announcing Presence with Authority to the decade's competition style choice.    

Kumar and GRod were in same HS class as Carter Stewart who went 1:8 in 2018 to Atlanta but didn't sign. Went JuCo for a year and in May 2019 signed with Fukuoka SoftBank (6 yrs/$7M). I think I remember him having a FA opt out after year 5 to avoid posting but can't find that now. Could be an off the wall FA in the 2023 off season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The draft is the best way for small and medium market teams to add premium talent.  So if you punt on the pick you have in a certain year, you have already f'ed up.  The Astros got lucky and made it up, but I wouldn't advise it as a plan of action.  Would the O's refusing to sign Jones as the #1 pick be a wise course of action?  Of course not.  Do things in baseball and life sometimes work out after you f@#k up?  Yes!  But that doesn't mean you did the right thing.  If Kumar is healthy now, the Mets passed up a chance to draft one of the best college arms in recent history.   The kind of arm the Mets are happy to pay $40 mill/yr for if Kumar realizes his potential.  I can't see any way that can be viewed as a success.  Could Kumar fail?  Of course, so could any top pitcher in the draft or any player for that matter. 

Not sure why you go from success right to collosal failure.

Seems to me like some middle ground should exist.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Pretty sure Matt Holliday had Boras as his agent.  Doesn’t mean his son will of course but still.

Either way, Boras means nothing here.

It must be very tricky for an, ahem, advisor to be, ahem, advising two players both in consideration for the no. 1 pick in the draft.  Player 1 wants to the top pick but is only willing to take $500 kess than slot.   Player 2 wants to be the top pick but is willing to take $1 mm less than slot.  Advising player 2 to give a million dollar discount jeopardizes player 1’s chance of being no. 1.   Seems a bit delicate to me.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

Kumar and GRod were in same HS class as Carter Stewart who went 1:8 in 2018 to Atlanta but didn't sign. Went JuCo for a year and in May 2019 signed with Fukuoka SoftBank (6 yrs/$7M). I think I remember him having a FA opt out after year 5 to avoid posting but can't find that now. Could be an off the wall FA in the 2023 off season. 

He’s a good kid, too. I endorse this post!

He had a wrist issue of some kind, IIRC. If he is healthy, I would love to take a shot at him. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It must be very tricky for an, ahem, advisor to be, ahem, advising two players both in consideration for the no. 1 pick in the draft.  Player 1 wants to the top pick but is only willing to take $500 kess than slot.   Player 2 wants to be the top pick but is willing to take $1 mm less than slot.  Advising player 2 to give a million dollar discount jeopardizes player 1’s chance of being no. 1.   Seems a bit delicate to me.   

Great point. I never really thought about that. I would imagine that both Matt Holliday and Andruw Jones know the games played by agents. I bet they are involved more than the average player parent. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure why you go from success right to collosal failure.

Seems to me like some middle ground should exist.

The Astros got lucky.  I don't think they would say that what they did is a good idea.  I'm sure that Elias would agree.  I think Kumar has been unjustly maligned and some people are hoping for his failure.  I think the Mets will regret not signing him.  I guess we'll find out soon.

24 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The Astros got lucky.  I don't think they would say that what they did is a good idea.  I'm sure that Elias would agree.  I think Kumar has been unjustly maligned and some people are hoping for his failure.  I think the Mets will regret not signing him.  I guess we'll find out soon.

Once again:

Colossal Failure------    ------    ------    ------    ------    ------    ------    ------    Success

And yes the Atros got lucky, Aiken could have agreed to the lowered deal.

I of course agree that a draft pick today is worth more than a draft pick next year.  But if the results of a physical change the cost/value analysis enough you have to be ready to step away and take the pick.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Any guesses on where Kumar lands? Much much rather have Dylan Lesko, if the Os go underslot, I’d be inclined to go with him, better than another corner OFer or 2nd baseman. 

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Nats.  I know everyone is saying the middle to bottom of 1st round, but I think a team is going to take a chance when they see his arm is back.

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the Nats.  I know everyone is saying the middle to bottom of 1st round, but I think a team is going to take a chance when they see his arm is back.

No way Nats take him at 5. With the Orioles, someone great will fall and Rizzo will capitalize. 

22 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

They were just talking about him on MLB network saying that if he goes in the back half of the first round to a contender he could end up in someone’s bullpen this year.  

Makes sense.  If he is truly healthy, you could argue that he doesn’t need MiL time at all.

On 7/3/2022 at 1:59 PM, Frobby said:

This is a really good point and not something I had thought of before. It makes me wonder about the inner workings of Boras Corp. Obviously Boras is the face and is part of the negotiations for the huge money deals, but he has hundreds of clients so has to have a huge amount of reps that fall under him. I wonder how that works, like lets say Austin Hays and Cedric Mullins are both represented by BorasCorp (I have no idea if they are), and they both want to approach the Orioles about a potential extension around the same time...is there inner-Boras-office communication about that or is more like brokers working for the same firm but really working for themselves...

Don't mean to derail the thread, but just thought you brought up a really interesting perspective I hadn't considered before. Thanks!