Mike Elias On the Verge

wildcard

6 hours ago, oldfan said:

After Adley, Bradish, GRod and Hall, who do you think is the 5th prospect Elias thinks could be brought up? At the time he might have figured Westburg.

Maybe Stowers  since he spent time in AAA in 2021.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I appreciate that Bob asked the question about not spending now but the answer was bs and would have loved to have heard a follow up to it.

What follow up question would you have wanted asked?

45 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe Stowers  since he spent time in AAA in 2021.

I’m thinking Stowers is up after the trade deadline. So if he’s saying 5 of our top 10 will graduate, that would be AR, GR, Stowers, Bradish, and one of Hall/Vavra. 

The 40 man has a lot of players that could easily be DFAd after this season. We’re not in a crunch at the moment. 

This recent stretch has shown me we’re a year behind where I thought we would be. Especially with the Means injury. Our best case scenario now is to hope that Mancini, Santander, and Lyles, are all playing really well and bring back some unexpectedly good returns. 

1 minute ago, Jagwar said:

What follow up question would you have wanted asked?

Something along the lines of, the team recent spent 170M on the ML payroll and did have some money into the other aspects of things (albeit not as much as we do now), so why not spend more on the ML product when the team has shown they can?

His answer was that they treating everything as one budget.  Payroll, international signings, technology, the DR complex, etc…that’s bullish!t to begin with but let’s even say go with that nonsense.  Those things only cost so much money.  It’s not like you are paying scouts millions of dollars.  You aren’t spend anything close to that 170M level when your team payroll is and has been next to nothing.

So they are definitely leaving a lot of money on the table and they definitely can spend more.  I would have liked to have seen that point pressed.

I think the interview was fine and I know those guys are excited to get it and rightfully so.  But it was a lot of ass kissing and softball type questions.  They aren’t going to press him because they want him and others on again and I get that.  It makes sense but still, I would have liked to have seen a little more there on that aspect of things.

7 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Love this:

Mike:  Yes, I do.   The way the Rule 5 Draft is set up we can't keep all these guys.  I can see a time when we package two or three of these prospects for a starting pitcher.

Strongly dislike draft comments, take Jones.

Two months before the draft, what did you expect him to say? Things can change very quickly. Major injuries, circumstances off the field, pop up players, etc… can all happen. What if Jones suddenly comes down with, say Myocarditis before the draft? Do you advocate taking him #1 if you think he’ll miss a year, or maybe never play again? 

Look, there is absolutely no reason to say what you are going to do right now, if they actually even know yet. Bargaining position for Jones would only be strengthened if you go out and tell the world that you are taking him.

We, as fans, want to know everything. Some think we are entitled to it. We are not. GM’s are well paid to tell us almost nothing, until something actually happens. There are very good reasons for it. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Something along the lines of, the team recent spent 170M on the ML payroll and did have some money into the other aspects of things (albeit not as much as we do now), so why not spend more on the ML product when the team has shown they can?

His answer was that they treating everything as one budget.  Payroll, international signings, technology, the DR complex, etc…that’s bullish!t to begin with but let’s even say go with that nonsense.  Those things only cost so much money.  It’s not like you are paying scouts millions of dollars.  You aren’t spend anything close to that 170M level when your team payroll is and has been next to nothing.

So they are definitely leaving a lot of money on the table and they definitely can spend more.  I would have liked to have seen that point pressed.

I think the interview was fine and I know those guys are excited to get it and rightfully so.  But it was a lot of ass kissing and softball type questions.  They aren’t going to press him because they want him and others on again and I get that.  It makes sense but still, I would have liked to have seen a little more there on that aspect of things.

The reason DD spent the money you mentioned was because they were in a competitive cycle. They robbed the entire organization of assets to support the ML team. Thus, the mess that Elias inherited and the awful teams we have had to endure.

Budgets have a lot more to them than what you make it sound like. For instance, what does it cost to provide housing for all minor league players? Maybe around $2-3 million for the season? Picking high in the draft and extra picks have this draft budget at what, $17 million? These things add up. 

He could have spent a bit more, sure. That is not the model they developed. They stuck to their plan, and it looks like we are just about to come out of those dark days. A few recent injuries and the lineup is awful again. But the Orioles are not cellar dwellers anymore. Not contenders, lol, but not at the bottom either. 

15 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

The reason DD spent the money you mentioned was because they were in a competitive cycle. They robbed the entire organization of assets to support the ML team. Thus, the mess that Elias inherited and the awful teams we have had to endure.

Budgets have a lot more to them than what you make it sound like. For instance, what does it cost to provide housing for all minor league players? Maybe around $2-3 million for the season? Picking high in the draft and extra picks have this draft budget at what, $17 million? These things add up. 

He could have spent a bit more, sure. That is not the model they developed. They stuck to their plan, and it looks like we are just about to come out of those dark days. A few recent injuries and the lineup is awful again. But the Orioles are not cellar dwellers anymore. Not contenders, lol, but not at the bottom either. 

The team makes plenty of money.  Even if you want to argue that operating business expenses are all under one umbrella, which I don’t think they have ever done before and I question whether other teams do, they still have spent that money in the past.

The new money is more in the analytics, scouting, tech and international side of things..that’s not $100+M.  That’s the “cheap stuff”.

The Orioles are simply not spending more because ownership doesn’t want to.  They can dress it up, put a fancy rebuilding title on it and sell the fans on the overall plan but the bottom line is that ownership is choosing to be cheap with the ML product.

14 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I believe Hall, GR, and Stowers were all drafted by DD. So were Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Mancini, and Means. Santander in the rule 5. Etc….

Who has Elias really added with all the top picks?  AR, Gunnar, Mayo, Kjerstad, and Westburg. 

Pretty sure DD would’ve drafted AR or Witt. 

19 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I believe Hall, GR, and Stowers were all drafted by DD. So were Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins, Mancini, and Means. Santander in the rule 5. Etc….

Who has Elias really added with all the top picks?  AR, Gunnar, Mayo, Kjerstad, and Westburg. 

Pretty sure DD would’ve drafted AR or Witt. 

Elias drafted Stowers.

• Upvote 1