Teixeira Watch: Part VII- Owner Says Sox Are Out

adjones10

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good post! I tend to agree with the majority of your statements. I'm sure they could swing the 'hometown' label to DC, seeing as how Severna Park is about 30miles away....technically not Baltimore either(I realize i'm splitting hairs here:) Also agree about the Lerners not willing to take gambles - however, I think you underestimate the Northern VA baseball fan's - the area has grown incredibly since the Senators were here. There is much more youth baseball in Nova than there is in MD - furthermore, if they win they will attract many new fans because of the size of their market. I think we will see Jordan Zimmerman this year and Detwiller the next year, so FA pitching will most likely be on the top of their list next year...they will have Olsen, Zimmerman, Detwiller, and FA FA....could be a very good team.

One thing you are forgetting about the DC/NoVA market is many people that live there aren't from there and most likely have affiliations with their own hometown teams. Many people who live in DC aren't from DC, unlike the Baltimore metro area.

Good grief. As far as i am concerned Nats fans can come on this board all they want. That goes for the fans of any team. If they are polite and have respect for others. But from some of the things i have been reading some of the O's fans need a lesson in having respect for others. Geez

One thing you are forgetting about the DC/NoVA market is many people that live there aren't from there and most likely have affiliations with their own hometown teams. Many people who live in DC aren't from DC, unlike the Baltimore metro area.

Exactly. There is more of a connection between the team and the city in Baltimore. It is not that way in Washington, and I do not know if it will ever be, due to the reason you cited. There will always be a lot of fans of other teams in the DC area because that is their hometown.

Good, actually glad to hear that… that is the max I've wanted the O's to offer… and I believe we will.

Equal contracts offered between DC and Baltimore, I like our chances.

When someone responds by saying he is not worth it blah blah blah… He does not have to be the elite of the elite to justify that salary from the O's.

It only has to make sense to this organization here and now, which it does.

A 28 year old gold glove switch hitting 1stbaseman, with a 917 career OPS from Baltimore, with no known character flaws is as ideal a FA as you could ever sign.

He is the perfect piece to add to the players you want to build around, and will give you a core of players that will have the opportunity to contend annually.

Lastly, you are worth what someone will pay you.... If DC will pay him $25M per over 8 years, that is what he is worth...

Three points. The idea that a player is worth what some "fool" will pay is preposterous. Was Barry Zito worth $100 million? The Giants determined that he was worth it to them but they were fools. We don't have to follow that model.

Second, the idea that we should add a little bit more and then a little more after that and it's ok is just not how you run an effective business. You determine the value of the asset and what you can afford to pay and you stick to it. None of us really knows what the Orioles can afford to pay but they most certainly have drawn a line and should stick to it.

Last, Tex is not the idea free agent as some would suggest. He plays first base -- a position where we should be able to find a good stick for cheap and where we could sign Adam Dunn (admittedly not as good but not that far off) for probably 1/4 of the cost. I'd much rather see us invest $150 million in other areas of need.

By this logic the Redskins shouldn't have much of a following, either.

Getting ridiculous? Do you mean that it wasn't already?

It has been crazy since it started! After Sundays joke of Tex at the Ravens game and now last night with Boston, I am done with this. I will wait for the announcement that it is over and see Tex in a uniform for 2009 and beyond!

Please wake me when this nightmare is over! It has to be one, cause in this time of economic crisis, I can't understand how any team can pay that much money to anyone when everything else is so bad!

Archived