Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

How often did he ambush first pitch fastballs in the minors? It feels like every  count he has 2 strikes on him. 

I've never seen a batter hit on more two strike counts than Rutschman. It's almost like every at bat, even in the minors. The guy can start 0-2 and end up 3-2 though. He's usually a tough at bat but he's not much on Ambushing pitches early very often. He looks for his pitch and if it's not there early, he doesn't swing even if they are strikes.

He's very confident hitting with two strikes, but in the majors, he's going to find pitchers don't make as many mistakes and he'll need to hit pitch that may not perfect and they may come earlier in an at bat.

This will be part of his learning process.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

When is it acceptable to start freaking out about his offense?   Or have we started down that path already?

After our experience with Matt Wieters, I'll always be freaked out, but I always try to remind myself that Matt Wieters is one case study in millions, and that I shouldn't allow it to bias too much my judgment with Adley. 

That said, of course it enters into the realm of possibility that Adley never becomes a good major league hitter. And if that happens he never really becomes a good or very valuable major league player. But then you just have to remind yourself that he is the #1 prospect in all of baseball and the #1 prospect in all of baseball usually has a better career than Matt Wieters did. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Look who we are talking about.  One of the top prospects in baseball.

I think you've got it backwards.  It seems only logical that one of the top prospects in baseball should come up and hit right away and that you should be preaching patience towards lesser prospects who would only need more time to figure it out.

Rutschman doesn't qualify only playing 10 games so far, but right now he would lead the AL in pitches per plate appearance with 4.48 P/PA over Aaron Judge who is averaging 4.32 P/PA.

This is a good sign as Rutschman should get more aggressive at the plate as he eases into facing MLB pitching. If Rutschman was just hacking away and struggling then I'd be more concerned. 

(I'm aware we're still well within the small sample size realm.)

https://www.mlb.com/player/adley-rutschman-668939

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/mlb/getleaders.asp?rank=039

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Right..a guy you would think would be better early on.  You go overboard over Travis Driskill having a few good early starts.  

What the heck are you talking about.  I don't think I ever said anything about Driskill. Get your facts straight and don't posting lies.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think you've got it backwards.  It seems only logical that one of the top prospects in baseball should come up and hit right away and that you should be preaching patience towards lesser prospects who would only need more time to figure it out.

Very warped logic.

• Haha 1