Adley is in the Show!

Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gotta say, Adley looked pretty awful at the plate last night, three strikeouts and a routine grounder to 2B.   The highlight of his night was hitting a foul ball to RF that completely cleared the stands.   But it was way foul.  He actually got a fan reaction from that, but otherwise he didn’t look good last night.  

Well the check swing wasn’t a swing.

Funny that you are seeing a few fans on Twitter talking about how he is overmatched and should be in the minors

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Gotta say, Adley looked pretty awful at the plate last night, three strikeouts and a routine grounder to 2B.   The highlight of his night was hitting a foul ball to RF that completely cleared the stands.   But it was way foul.  He actually got a fan reaction from that, but otherwise he didn’t look good last night.  

Too funny. The hyping was way overboard but he is struggling like most of the so called elite prospects at the beginning. Witt doing better but dosen't walk yet and many strikeouts. Rodriguez also hitting but with many strikeouts and a little better walk rate.Torkelson walks more but average and power have not shown up yet. BA finally got over  .200 yesterday. Adley is 3 years older then Witt and Rodriguez and 2 years over Torkelson. People were saying online Adley should give up switch hitting like Mullins because one scout said he seeing was slow from the left side. Give him time, he may just be a good hitter but maybe outstanding. We shall see what happens to all four of the so called elite prospects. Based on history,one will be elite,two will be decent and one will.fail due to injuries or never adjust to the majors 

5 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

The only consolation for Adley is when Cal Ripkin in his first taste of big leagues he came up in September and played every game and he hit .067 for his first season.

Having the screen name oriolediehard and then spelling RipkEn’s name wrong just doesn’t add up.  

• Haha 1

Not that I think he's overmatched but even if he is, how is going back to the minors going to solve the issue?

He has to learn how to adjust to major league pitching.  The best way to do that is by facing major league pitching.

If the scouting reports were all wrong and he just doesn't have it more time in the minors isn't going to change that fact.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not that I think he's overmatched but even if he is, how is going back to the minors going to solve the issue?

He has to learn how to adjust to major league pitching.  The best way to do that is by facing major league pitching.

If the scouting reports were all wrong and he just doesn't have it more time in the minors isn't going to change that fact.

This is overly simplistic.   We’ve certainly seen cases of players who were brought up prematurely, struggled, went back to the minors and worked on their game some more, then came back up and succeeded.  

That said, I don’t think anyone rational is suggesting we should do that with Rutschman.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

This is overly simplistic.   We’ve certainly seen cases of players who were brought up prematurely, struggled, went back to the minors and worked on their game some more, then came back up and succeeded.  

That said, I don’t think anyone rational is suggesting we should do that with Rutschman.   

And we don't know, can't know, if the same couldn't have been possible if they had stayed in the majors.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well the check swing wasn’t a swing.

Funny that you are seeing a few fans on Twitter talking about how he is overmatched and should be in the minors

I don't listen to 105.7 The Fan anymore, but I can only imagine some of the hot takes coming in on Adley from the callers due to his slow start offensively. 

I think Adley will be fine, but there's always a chance he isn't as good as expected. It's way too early to make the determination after 10 games played into a career. (I know cue Captain Obvious.) 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Were those guys rated at the best prospect for a number of years, an advanced age , the first pick and played at a high level college program?

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Were those guys rated at the best prospect for a number of years, an advanced age , the first pick and played at a high level college program?

My point very obviously wasn’t about Adley.   It was about a generalized statement that I felt was overly simplistic.   

I think most teams, when they call up a top prospect, are going to give him a ton of rope.   That is how I expect the O’s to treat Rutschman.  We can all think of examples of top prospects who struggled out of the gate for a few months, then adjusted. 

Mike Trout (not a college guy, I know) is a fairly rare example of a top prospect who struggled initially in the majors and got sent back down.   He had a .572 OPS in his 20-game debut, got sent down, then had a .768 run over the last 6 weeks of the season.  Even so, the Angels started him in the minors in 2012.   He got called up 20 games into the season and was the superstar he’d been expected to be.   

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My point very obviously wasn’t about Adley.   It was about a generalized statement that I felt was overly simplistic.   

I think most teams, when they call up a top prospect, are going to give him a ton of rope.   That is how I expect the O’s to treat Rutschman.  We can all think of examples of top prospects who struggled out of the gate for a few months, then adjusted. 

Mike Trout (not a college guy, I know) is a fairly rare example of a top prospect who struggled initially in the majors and got sent back down.   He had a .572 OPS in his 20-game debut, got sent down, then had a .768 run over the last 6 weeks of the season.  Even so, the Angels started him in the minors in 2012.   He got called up 20 games into the season and was the superstar he’d been expected to be.   

He was also age 19/20 when that happened, Adley is 24 lol

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But my point was very obviously about Adley.

It wasn't a generalized statement.

I don't think that, for instance, Creed Williems should be learning in the majors.