Exciting times

catjuggler

2 hours ago, catjuggler said:

Thursday....walk off homer  vs. Yanks

Friday.....walk of homer vs. Ray

Saturday....Adley arrives

Most excited i've been in years

I meant to post this thought in the game thread last night, not sure I did: The last couple of days have been a welcome reminder for me about how much I love baseball and why. For me, the Orioles don't have to be great -- a good thing, since otherwise I'd probably have quit years ago -- and I can handle some dumb and sloppy plays, and even the ridiculous automatic runner in extra innings. When a baseball game has drama and excitement, and comes out the "right" way, there's nothing quite like it. The only thing missing was being at the ballpark, and having Palmer on the broadcast closes that gap.

John Angelos and Mike Elias don't seem to care about the magic of that experience, and in a way I feel sorry for them.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure beats being hyped up for the draft.

I think I'm not hyped for the draft because A) I'm expecting another underslot strategy, and B) I'm not expecting any draftees other than up the middle position players

4 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

I meant to post this thought in the game thread last night, not sure I did: The last couple of days have been a welcome reminder for me about how much I love baseball and why. For me, the Orioles don't have to be great -- a good thing, since otherwise I'd probably have quit years ago -- and I can handle some dumb and sloppy plays, and even the ridiculous automatic runner in extra innings. When a baseball game has drama and excitement, and comes out the "right" way, there's nothing quite like it. The only thing missing was being at the ballpark, and having Palmer on the broadcast closes that gap.

John Angelos and Mike Elias don't seem to care about the magic of that experience, and in a way I feel sorry for them.

Seems to me that you are only now beginning to see the dividends of a protracted and painful struggle to build an enduring franchise. A struggle undertaken by Elias, under the patronage of John Angelos. A struggle that employed a strategy of fasting and squirreling away resources. Forsaking today for the sake of tomorrow. Building. Always building.

You may have disagreed with their strategy, as did others. But it's a little unfair to say that Angelos and Elias don't care about the magic of baseball the right way. I'd argue that they persisted in this strategy precisely BECAUSE they care about the magic of baseball the right way.

And they have been pilloried for their trouble for most of the journey.

But soon... a good team will be contending on the field... and the caustic rhetoric will be directed elsewhere... and the critics will act as if they never had and unkind word.

Such is the way of the world.

• Upvote 3

On 5/21/2022 at 11:48 AM, catjuggler said:

Thursday....walk off homer  vs. Yanks

Friday.....walk of homer vs. Ray

Saturday....Adley arrives

Most excited i've been in years

Sunday .... walk off grounder with Adley scoring

The biggest thing is that the O's aren't doing it against lousy teams.  Not saying the O's are going to be good this year, but the loser attitude is gone.  The O's had 2 walkoff wins vs. the Rays, 1 more than they had all of last year vs. the Rays.

• Upvote 1

I thought I saw Elias down in the box seats for Adley's first at bat last night. Maybe getting a feel for the crowd, or cynical bunch could say a pat on the back. Either way I don't want a warm and fuzzy Gm, just win.