Maverick Handley 2022

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

After a couple of hot months, Handley has cooled off considerably in August, posting a .480 OPS for the month so far. Last night he was 0 for 4 with two K’s and a GIDP and looked pretty bad doing it.  

Defensively, in the first inning a runner attempted a steal and Handley’s throw got to 2B so quickly that the runner didn’t bother to slide.   He did allow two McDermott wild pitches to get past him and I thought to myself that Adley would have blocked at least one of them.  His framing seemed good but the umpire wasn’t giving much to McDermott. The grand slam he allowed was immediately after a 2-2 pitch that looked like strike three.

The theory is Handley is our future backup catcher. His defense is supposedly great. That's really important, but he'll need to hit at least a little bit to be able to get that job.

As it stands now, he may be hitting himself out of a 40-man roster spot this offseason. 

8 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think he's at least hitting himself out of being considered as the O's backup catcher next season.  Upgrading at backup catcher needs to be one of the O's offseason priorities.  

I have been wondering if this may be a logical place for some FA spending for the 2023 team. 

On 8/18/2022 at 10:53 AM, LookinUp said:

The theory is Handley is our future backup catcher. His defense is supposedly great. That's really important, but he'll need to hit at least a little bit to be able to get that job.

As it stands now, he may be hitting himself out of a 40-man roster spot this offseason. 

There was a lot of conversation about that after May and June for sure when he was playing and performing.  I wonder if the O's have had any conversation with Handley... either they have or they haven't.  For someone as smart as Handley, no conversations or plans is often detrimental as they need feedback. 

NOT COUNTING ADLEY...  I do find it VERY interesting that so far the ONLY noticeable promotion(s) for a catcher (above temp injury fill ins) in the O's system was Willems from FCL to Delmarva earlier this year.  Where he is hitting .176 AVG with an OPS of .519 and is throwing out 25% of runners (19 of 77).  I also don't count the 2022 draft picks that are both college picks a promotion from FCL to Low A. 

I wonder if Handley has figured out it would be better to 'tank' the remaining August/September and not be moved to AAA so another organization can grab him in Minor League rule 5?  Go back to Driveline where other teams hitting coordinators work and get picked up by one of those clubs?  That would be the 'smart' move 

On 8/18/2022 at 9:39 AM, Frobby said:

After a couple of hot months, Handley has cooled off considerably in August, posting a .480 OPS for the month so far. Last night he was 0 for 4 with two K’s and a GIDP and looked pretty bad doing it.  

Defensively, in the first inning a runner attempted a steal and Handley’s throw got to 2B so quickly that the runner didn’t bother to slide.   He did allow two McDermott wild pitches to get past him and I thought to myself that Adley would have blocked at least one of them.  His framing seemed good but the umpire wasn’t giving much to McDermott. The grand slam he allowed was immediately after a 2-2 pitch that looked like strike three.

I agree... August has been worse than July.  The problem I see is no one is doing much better?  Roberts has had two good games in August that boosted his number after a horrid July.  But Bemboom/Nottingham/Cumberland aren't much better than the .480.  A+ and A- catchers are all pretty close as well.  Almost like the Orioles staff has ignored every catcher since Adley was promoted.  Who would really want to be a catcher on the Orioles right now except for someone trying to extend their career?

I had to go back to the tape for Handley's defense.  I have seen a lot of weird stuff this year.  Knee down, splits, etc.  Fat is McDermott looked like ass all 3.2 innings.  6 walks?  Two were 4 ball walks.  That wild pitch in the 3rd I couldn't really tell because of the camera work but it looked like Handley's knee was down and pitch went to opposite side of where he was set up.  That WP didn't score as it was followed by a fly out and 2 Ks.  In the 4th, that Wild pitch hit in front of the batters box and Handley was knee down and doing the splits.  So gut feeling... not anywhere close to spot.    Not sure which of those Adley would have blocked. 

But... I have always been a Stanford fan and Pro-Handley commenter.  I am starting to think he is trying to get traded or set up to be an easy pick up in December.  Like when the O's got Hudgins from KC a couple years ago in MiLB rule 5.  

On 8/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, LookinUp said:

One bad month and you think they would expose him to the rule 5?

I doubt it.  While I agree he needs to hit, you don’t expose him with so many bad players on the 40 man.

As of today, he’s still the guy I want as the back up in 2023.  It won’t happen, at least not at the start, because he isn’t getting the time in AAA I was hoping he would get but they shouldn’t spend any money on that position in 2023.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The idea that he is deliberately underperforming because he wants to go to another organization is absurd to me.   I don't think any professional athlete thinks that way.  

I agree, that’s highly unlikely.  He decided to try hard in May, June and July and then tank in August?   Nah.

Hitters are streaky.  That’s just how it is.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CHIP said:

You are writing about Handley but showing a picture of Roberts?   Face is different and I have never seen Handley tape his wrists.

Thank you and my apologies. Been making a lot of dumb mistakes with my posts recently. Good to back off for awhile, but how about some drills before I go?

Not kidding, have really been screwing up a lot, so will be taking a break posting. It's rather humiliating 🥴

4 hours ago, justD said:

Thank you and my apologies. Been making a lot of dumb mistakes with my posts recently. Good to back off for awhile, but how about some drills before I go?

Not kidding, have really been screwing up a lot, so will be taking a break posting. It's rather humiliating 🥴

I always enjoy your content.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, justD said:

You are a stellar poster who I look forward to reading. I, for one, value your posts, perspective and dedication to the minor league affiliates. Nil carborundum illegitimi!

Imagine the challenge of slogging your way through the minors as a catcher. Bus rides, Motel 6s, shi**y food and a pitching staff that tax your athletic ability every night. Oh, and please squat for 9 innings. By the way, you need to hit, dude, or we won't promote you! You really gotta love the game. 

20 hours ago, justD said:

Doesn't seem to be stopping the rest of us from posting.   Don't sweat it!

• Upvote 1