Tony is about to be on 105.7 the Fan after 12:30 commercial break

Frobby

Pretty quick segment covering health status of Kjerstad (playing in FCL on Monday), what we’d look for in trades (pitching, duh), who of our prospects we might see in the majors soon (Hall needs more time, Stowers about ready but no real need for him yet), Mountcastle’s defense at 1B (decent except for arm).  Tony was very measured but basically said we have major holes in the rotation that will have to get covered by trades or free agents.   Hard to disagree.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Pretty quick segment covering health status of Kjerstad (playing in FCL on Monday), what we’d look for in trades (pitching, duh), who of our prospects we might see in the majors soon (Hall needs more time, Stowers about ready but no real need for him yet), Mountcastle’s defense at 1B (decent except for arm).  Tony was very measured but basically said we have major holes in the rotation that will have to get covered by trades or free agents.   Hard to disagree.

It's only like a 8-10 minute segment. Thanks for the recap. I was all prepared to talk Adley but never got asked.

As for him, he's gotten to two strikes in 67% of his PAs and most hitter don't hit well with two strikes. I saw this from Adley and really a lot of hitters in the Orioles minor league system. They are taught to look for pitches they can do damage on and limit the rest until you get to two strikes, which is why I think we see such low average on most players.

The problem is pitchers tend to make less and less mistakes as they go up the ladder and good major league pitchers limit their mistakes. This is going to make hitting in the major leagues with this philosophy hard IMHO. 

Same goes for Cowser, he was more aggressive last year from what I saw but now that he's on the Orioles developmental "only swing at pitches you can do damage on" plan, he's struggling because he's getting into two strike holes to often.

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's only like a 8-10 minute segment. Thanks for the recap. I was all prepared to talk Adley but never got asked.

As for him, he's gotten to two strikes in 67% of his PAs and most hitter don't hit well with two strikes. I saw this from Adley and really a lot of hitters in the Orioles minor league system. They are taught to look for pitches they can do damage on and limit the rest until you get to two strikes, which is why I think we see such low average on most players.

The problem is pitchers tend to make less and less mistakes as they go up the ladder and good major league pitchers limit their mistakes. This is going to make hitting in the major leagues with this philosophy hard IMHO. 

Same goes for Cowser, he was more aggressive last year from what I saw but now that he's on the Orioles developmental "only swing at pitches you can do damage on" plan, he's struggling because he's getting into two strike holes to often.

Yep, good segment Tony, and your point above is exactly the one I've made a few times over the years.  Will this approach of only swinging at pitches that you can do damage on work on the majors?  I have my doubts but we'll have to wait and see.

• Thanks 1

While I think Rutschman will need to vary his approach more in order to succeed long term, I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing that he’s seeing a ton of pitches early in his career.   You learn a lot about pitchers and their pitches that way.   That’s good information for when he sees these pitchers again.  

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Meoli had a good article about Cowser's struggles and how Cowser and the Orioles realize that they shouldn't neutralize his hit tool strength by having his approach be the same as some others.  Cowser apparently was just trying to do too much.  Hopefully he will start to see more positive results.  I do think thought that for many hitters given the relative importance of OBP vs. slugging, selectivity will be net positive more than a net negative for many at the major league level.  Complicated issue that hopefully the Orioles are correct about.  

• Upvote 1

They say a pitcher, even a good pitcher, makes maybe one mistake per AB.   Teaching hitters to look for that mistake seems like a reasonable approach.  Sure, all hitters are going to have poor to awful numbers behind in the count, but a lot of hitters, Oriole hitters, do that to themselves by swinging at pitches out of the zone.   It's when you take a first pitch fastball or curve waste thigh to waste high, that you as a hitter have made a mistake.   It's going to be interesting but I actually think most to the minor league hitters in our system are going to benefit from better umpiring in the majors.

Swinging at a knee high slider on the outside corner on the first pitch might keep you from falling behind in the count but the results are probably not going to be very good most of the time.   That's an over simplification but that's basically the point of look for pitches you can drive and taking the ones that are more difficult to drive.   Obviously, with two strikes you don't have that luxury.