Dean Kremer 2022

Spy Fox

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I don’t believe this is a viable strategy. It worked for Palmer, that’s true. But Kremer ain’t Palmer and this ain’t the 70s. 

You mean to tell me that Kremer would rather not strike guys out and leave things to chance? No way. 

One or two pitch outs key the pitch count low and allows our guys to pitch deeper in games. I’d like to see him with more strikeouts. But, all I really care about on a day like yesterday was the outcome.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Pitching to contact isn’t a skill I want my pitchers to have.

Even if it’s soft contact? As I mentioned it keeps the pitch count from getting elevated. I think Kremer admitted that he didn’t have all of his pitches throughout the start.

“A little bit of everything (was working) in different parts of the game. Didn’t really have my best changeup towards the end of the outing and curveball pretty much kept me in it, curveball and cutter pretty much kept me in it. And flashing the sinker and the four seam every once in a while.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/early-homers-kremer-s-gem-lead-o-s-past-houston

So let’s look at his body of work this year.  Kremer was called up on June 5.   15 starts, 83.1 IP, 3.24 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 6.7 K/9, 1.9 BB/9.   Not a bad half-season  .  I think he’s been a little lucky at times, but overall I see a pitcher who is learning his craft and gaining confidence in his stuff.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah, and if your aunt has balls she’d be your,…well you know. The spin rate, movement, location all effect the outcome. You have to acknowledge the advancements made by the statistics and the ability of player development. There is a lot to be said for pitching to the big part of the part.

What exactly am I acknowledging?  All I'm saying is he didn't look dominant and seemed to get fairly lucky especially while falling behind a lot of batters.  Not exactly a recipe for success if you ask me.  But maybe the player dev department wants the pitchers starting off with 3-0 & 3-1 counts just to get the batters off balance a little bit? 

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

What exactly am I acknowledging?  All I'm saying is he didn't look dominant and seemed to get fairly lucky especially while falling behind a lot of batters.  Not exactly a recipe for success if you ask me.  But maybe the player dev department wants the pitchers starting off with 3-0 & 3-1 counts just to get the batters off balance a little bit? 

He was at 85 pitches after 7 innings.  I don't think there were as many 3-0 and 3-1 counts as you think.  Who hit the ball hard off of him?  I'd love to know.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

What @RZNJ said ….didn’t happen a lot or the pitch count wouldn’t be 85. 12 pitches per inning is strong! And you have to add in the extra hitters that reached base via hit. He walked nobody!

Edited by Roll Tide

39 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He was at 85 pitches after 7 innings.  I don't think there were as many 3-0 and 3-1 counts as you think.  Who hit the ball hard off of him?  I'd love to know.

Looks like around 13 balls were hit with EV at league average or higher by the Astros off of Kremer last night.  

My goodness!  I’ll take Kremer’s performance last night whether he had 0 k’s or 20 K’s.  He’s learning how to “pitch” and did extremely well against the best team in the AL! Kremer flashes enough quality stuff to get K’s, but if you look at many 1st to 2nd year stats of young pitchers who eventually become dominant, their early K rate is low (Verlander 6k/9 his 1st full season; Garrit Cole 7.7/9 his rookie season).  When GRod makes it to the bigs, his K rate will likely be down as well.  

My biggest point is - just enjoy the QS and don’t read too much into the peripherals yet. Hopefully these young guys string several QS together!

Inning 1 - Fell behind Altuve 3-1, Walked Gurriel but got bailed out with a K by umpire...missed by 6 inches, 3 ball counts on first two hitters of game, Alvarez hard hit ground ball into shift

Inning 2 - Fell behind Bregman 3-1  then ball 4 outside but called a strike, Fell behind 3-2 count to Tucker, Fell behind 1-0 count to vasquez

Through two innings he got ahead of 1 batter.

Inning 3 - got ahead of Mancini & Hensley.  Fell behind 2-0 to Dubon

Inning 4- Fell behind to Altuve 2-0 then 3-1 and Atuve hit a laser up middle on full count. Got ahead of Gurriel and got a GIDP...then goes behind Alvarez 2-0

Through four inning he got ahead of 5 batters.

Inning 5 - Got ahead of Bregman, Fell behind Tucker 1-0, Got ahead of Vasquez

Inning 6 - Fell behind Mancini 1-0, Got ahead of Hensley, Got ahead of Dubon

Through six innings he got ahead of 9 batters

Inning 7 - Laser double on first pitch, Got ahead of Gurriel, Alvarez rbi single on 0-0, Fell behind Bregman 1-0 then he rolls into GIDP

Inning 8 - Fell behind Tucker 1-0, Got ahead of Vasquez, Got ahead of Mancini

Through 7 2/3 he got ahead of 12 batters he faced.  

Quickly rewatching game was interesting.  Odd game - a good bit of hard contact hit directly to players, a couple GIDP that were hit hard, a lot of deep counts, and a lot of outs on first pitch.  I don't think getting behind that many batters is a recipe for success.  He did make some phenomenal pitches when he had to, but that performance could have very easily gone the other way and looked pretty ugly.