Angelos Family Fued

Going Underground

12 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Construction is booming in Harbor Point with the T. Rowell Price Global Headquarters. Port Covington is finally starting to be built,but on a smaller scale. The crappy arena is getting rebuilt  with Kevin Durant's help. Paramount also under construction.  Rebuilding Lexington Market. I was told they are having trouble getting enough workers. The city really needs to get their act together on the crime and the dirt bike fiasco. Can you tell me what major projects in construction got cancelled? I know some where put on hold.

I am not sure about Baltimore.  I was talking more in general, not about the city itself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I am not sure about Baltimore.  I was talking more in general, not about the city itself.

I’m in Philly and I don’t see any signs of economic downturn when it comes to construction projects. I can’t find enough engineers and skilled laborers to get everything done. With the influx of infrastructure money I don’t see there being any recession in that industry. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not a trusts & estates lawyer, but generally, this is not correct.  Many people have revocable trusts they put their assets in.   Those trusts do not avoid estate taxes.   Trust me on this - my dad died three months ago, he had a revocable trust holding most of his assets, and I’ve hired an estate attorney who’s told me there will be significant local estate taxes to pay based on assets in the trust. (The federal threshold for estate tax is well beyond the size of my dad’s estate.)  So why have a trust like that if it’s not saving you taxes?   The simple reason is that the assets in the trust are not under supervision of the probate court.   You save a lot of time and bureaucracy because the trustee of the trust doesn’t have to await confirmation of his/her appointment by a court, or file paperwork accounting for disposition of assets, or await court approval to make distributions.

Now, there are some other kinds of trusts that may defer or avoid taxes.  Generally, these are irrevocable trusts.  I don’t know what Peter has but the complaint refers to a revocable trust, and that should operate the way I described.  

Lswyers who know more about this can feel free to correct me.   

Most people don't need   a trust with the federal  inheritance tax over $11 million dollars before any taxes. Most statas don't have an inheritance tax or it is tied to the federal amount.Maryland inheritance tax is lower. If you put most of your assets into TOD or POD ,you can avoid most of the probate court. One problem is if you end up in an assisting living or nursing home which can eat up your assets pretty quickly,unless you had long term care which if you get late in life Is very expensive. 

36 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That's the comfort I try to take: People have been predicting apocalypse for a couple thousand years now.  And they're only right some of the time.  So maybe I'm wrong.

People like to extrapolate current trends out forever. So India will one day have 75 billion people and Japan will have 12.  But things do change.  Inner city crime was worse in 1990 than today, then it got better.  The Orioles aren't going to win 38 games this year, it'll probably be more like 68.   Webbrick was wrong when he said the 2014 Orioles needed a firesale.  The pessimists don't get to win all the time.

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, interloper said:

Fair. I just think the amount of effort that has gone into a total overhaul of the organization goes against the simple theory that this is all just a ruse. To SGs point, it does help the value or perceived value of the franchise, but they could have achieved that with much less effort.

Elias' promises only go as far as ownership allows, so we'll see, but so far all his promises from that initial presser have come to pass, and more, I'd argue. The last remaining promise was spending, which he alluded to again as recent as this season. Ultimately it's not up to him though, so we'll see. Like others, I believe the time to spend is absolutely this off season. If there aren't clear attempts to improve the roster through free agency AND trade, then that's a big problem.

I wouldn't say it's a ruse.

Just that everything he's done to build up the franchise goes hand in hand with slashing payroll and building up the type of infrastructure a franchise is supposed to have.  If I were going to spend a billion on an asset I'd want it to at least be up to date in their processes.

Are the O's actually leading the industry in any of this?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wouldn't say it's a ruse.

Just that everything he's done to build up the franchise goes hand in hand with slashing payroll and building up the type of infrastructure a franchise is supposed to have.  If I were going to spend a billion on an asset I'd want it to at least be up to date in their processes.

Are the O's actually leading the industry in any of this?

Data Scientists?

Baseball Analytics

Director, Baseball Systems: Di Zou

Director, Baseball Strategy: Brendan Fournie

Senior Software Engineer: Peter Ash

Senior Software Engineer: Jim Daniels

Senior Data Scientist, Pro Player Evaluation: Ryan Hardin

Senior Data Scientist: James Martin III

Senior Data Scientist: Hugh McCreery

Senior Data Scientist: Michael Weis

Data Scientist: James Hull

Developer, Special Projects: Ryan Hallahan

Analytics Fellow: Julia Wapner

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So Peter Schmuck is doing some work for Baltimore Baseball. I guess after he took his Baltimore Sun buyout and when WBAL got the Orioles and the Orioles didn't want him to do the pre or post game calls in ,this is where he is.

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Data Scientists?

Baseball Analytics

Director, Baseball Systems: Di Zou

Director, Baseball Strategy: Brendan Fournie

Senior Software Engineer: Peter Ash

Senior Software Engineer: Jim Daniels

Senior Data Scientist, Pro Player Evaluation: Ryan Hardin

Senior Data Scientist: James Martin III

Senior Data Scientist: Hugh McCreery

Senior Data Scientist: Michael Weis

Data Scientist: James Hull

Developer, Special Projects: Ryan Hallahan

Analytics Fellow: Julia Wapner

I have no clue how to parse that data.

Do you?

Genuinely no guess here, what do you suppose even Elias' awareness of this situation was before yesterday?

How frequent are his interactions with John?    

I'm sure there's a budget process, and probably frameworks for 1, 3, 6 years, etc.   But every July GM's have the ritual of making recommendations to ownership about renting this player or that.   My overall understanding is October/November is when GM's get next year specifics from ownership teams.

This seems like it could be anywhere in four more months.    Whatever bandwidth John might have had to weigh in on whether Trey can be traded or not may have just evaporated some.

Also, as this is apt to become an inner circle HOF length thread, do we want to undo the FUED typo at some point?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Genuinely no guess here, what do you suppose even Elias' awareness of this situation was before yesterday?

How frequent are his interactions with John?    

I'm sure there's a budget process, and probably frameworks for 1, 3, 6 years, etc.   But every July GM's have the ritual of making recommendations to ownership about renting this player or that.   My overall understanding is October/November is when GM's get next year specifics from ownership teams.

This seems like it could be anywhere in four more months.    Whatever bandwidth John might have had to weigh in on whether Trey can be traded or not may have just evaporated some.

Also, as this is apt to become an inner circle HOF length thread, do we want to undo the FUED typo at some point?

I'd have to think he was very aware.

5 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

So Peter Schmuck is doing some work for Baltimore Baseball. I guess after he took his Baltimore Sun buyout and when WBAL got the Orioles and the Orioles didn't want him to do the pre or post game calls in ,this is where he is.

How much was Schmuck on WBAL? Was it just weekends?