Heston Kjerstad 2022

joelala

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

If they moved him to Aberdeen tomorrow, I would be more than happy.

But I’m also not concerned about getting him there this fast.  I would like to see him get 200ish at bats at Aberdeen.  That would mean if he is up in early July, he should get around that number.  So, for me, giving him another 2-3 weeks in Delmarva is fine.  If he is completely tearing it up in between now and then and you move him faster, so be it but that’s my timetable.

And no, I don’t feel the need for him to get tons of at bats at Delmarva.  I’m treating Delmarva as almost a rehab assignment/ST for him.  

He’s certainly looking capable of moving up quickly.   

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Funny to say about a guy hitting .423 but I don't think he's quite there yet.   Good to see him off to a good start. Can't wait until he starts driving the ball consistently. 

Honestly, I thought the same thing after the first two plate appearances I saw him live yesterday. He struck out and hit a weak grounder and I thought to myself he might struggle for a bit until he gets his timing back. But then his next nine plate appearances produced four singles, two doubles, an RBI sacrifice fly, a scorching line drive caught, and a ground out. So now I realize I'm an idiot for having those thoughts.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hutchead said:

Honestly, I thought the same thing after the first two plate appearances I saw him live yesterday. He struck out and hit a weak grounder and I thought to myself he might struggle for a bit until he gets his timing back. But then his next nine plate appearances produced four singles, two doubles, an RBI sacrifice fly, a scorching line drive caught, and a ground out. So now I realize I'm an idiot for having those thoughts.

I saw he had a line drive double off the wall.  Don't worry, the HR will come.  I would have been happy if he hit slightly above average at Delmarva and stayed healthy.  Everything he has done has been a bonus.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wild guess - 2 more weeks in low A after this one, then on to Aberdeen. 

If Kjerstad has a hot few more games I could see promoting him. From the 1st BP video I saw of him this year it was clear his swing was too advanced for Low A. He needs a new challenge. 

3 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

If Kjerstad has a hot few more games I could see promoting him. From the 1st BP video I saw of him this year it was clear his swing was too advanced for Low A. He needs a new challenge. 

His swing reminds me a lot of Adley's.  Lots of power and probably lots of walks too.  Adley, Stowers and Kjerstad are going to be impressive power bats I'm predicting.

Nice article on Kjerstad’s first homer:

"I never thought my first professional homer would be in 2022, but everybody has a little different journey,” Kjerstad said. “It’s unreal. Every every homer you hit is the best feeling you get playing the game, without a doubt. But without having had that feeling for a long time, and everything I've been through, it was electric. It got my blood pumping.”

https://www.mlb.com/news/heston-kjerstad-hits-first-professional-home-run?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

I like this quote too:

“My power always comes with the season getting longer, the more the more at-bats I get, the more comfortable. I start trying less hard … and stop trying to force things as the season gets longer. My dad reminded me after the first couple games. He said, 'Just keep doing your thing. It’s working. Your power always comes as the season gets longer.' And then it kinda starts to pour on after you break the ice and get a little more comfortable."

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

As I said previously, despite the .423 average, I don't think he's gotten into a groove yet.   This guy has huge pull side power.   He hasn't gotten hold of one yet so I don't think the timing is quite there yet but I certainly would have no problem advancing him to Aberdeen as he continues to search for that groove.