Comparing the 2020 and 2022 Orioles to date (both 25-35)

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s all in how the pitching holds up.   The offense could get a little better from here.   But the starting pitching is very dicey.   The bullpen has been great but I’m not sure it’s sustainable.  

The pitcher limit going from 14 to 13 on June 19th definitely affects us. Hall would be a big boost to the rotation. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We don’t know far off we are until these guys get up here and we see what they are.

People have a tendency of just plugging in names from the system, assuming they will be really good and say, we aren’t far off.

The truth is, the organization has a lot of talent and that talent, if it develops as we hope, will make us very good.

But between the unknown of that and the overall unknown of what ownership is going to be and what they will invest, it’s hard to know how far away we are.

We do not have the pitching to keep up with the big boys as of right now.

I think we have the lineup and bullpen to flirt with .500. The players names I plugged in our in AAA. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we have the lineup and bullpen to flirt with .500. The players names I plugged in our in AAA. 

See I think the BP isn’t close to being there.  I don’t trust a lot of these guys long term and I’m guessing that Elias won’t either.  

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think they will have to be a Top 5 AL offense the rest of the way to be able to play around .500.  I think our position player talent is coming together but I don’t think it will be that good quite yet. 

I remember Buck's psychobabble about situations where New Guys having some "riding to the rescue" context can be advantageous.    

I think SP-wise circumstances are aligning pretty favorably for DL Hall in this vein.    The team is just trying to get to 1450....he couldn't do worse than Zimmermann or Watkins (or Kremer or even Bradish, perhaps).    Just go execute your pitches 80-ish times, and the results are very likely to be some kind of helpful even if not outright good.

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

See I think the BP isn’t close to being there.  I don’t trust a lot of these guys long term and I’m guessing that Elias won’t either.  

On the broadcast yesterday, one of the MASN guys shared a Caleb Joseph observation the team has "four legitimate relievers".

I'm going to guess Caleb wasn't Canada-controlling for Keegan Akin, and meant Lopez-Tate-Bautista-Perez.

31 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

On the broadcast yesterday, one of the MASN guys shared a Caleb Joseph observation the team has "four legitimate relievers".

I'm going to guess Caleb wasn't Canada-controlling for Keegan Akin, and meant Lopez-Tate-Bautista-Perez.

Yea that’s wrong.  No way we have 4 legit long term relievers right now.  

Or, put another way, no way you can assume that right now.

Tate is a guy I feel is a must trade if the market is there for him..and it likely will be.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s very easy to overreact to a good 2-3 month spell from a bullpen.   The 2020 bullpen did very well in the 60 game season, then in 2021 those same pitchers were mostly terrible.   

That said, I do kind of like our BP mix.   There’s a pretty good variety of strengths and styles.   We’ve got several guys who can throw more than one inning.   I do think this pen is better than the 2020 pen.   They’re probably not as good as their YTD results though.   

As bad as the GR injury is, the performances by Gunnar and Westburg are offsetting it.

Of course we can doom and gloom, but I don’t think Elias can slow play Hall, Gunnar, and Westburg, all the way through a month into next season. If you’re not going to slow play then until that date, you might as well call them up. 

3 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Even good teams have relievers that aren't top notch.  The Mets just called up Freaking Tommy Hunter.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s time to call up Hall. What more is there to learn in AAA if you’re striking out 11 and teams are just taking pitches to raise your 80 pitch count?  

I agree.  I've been patient with the rebuild.  The time has come to try and win ML games.  Should Odor block Gunnar from playing?  Should McKenna block Stowers from playing?  Should Baker block Hall from playing?  I can understand delaying until the trade deadline, but there's no reason to keep playing players who will be long gone when this team is good.

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s time to call up Hall. What more is there to learn in AAA if you’re striking out 11 and teams are just taking pitches to raise your 80 pitch count?  

His AAA ERA is 3.82 and WHIP 1.34.   Not bad, but not overwhelming.  Maybe they’re taking pitches because they’re not strikes.  Strikeouts are nice but preventing base runners is important.  

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It wouldn't be a problem if the pitches they were taking were strikes.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It wouldn't be a problem if the pitches they were taking were strikes.

11/14 outs via K. Faced an extra Batter because of a K wild pitch. Hitters in AAA aren’t even putting the ball in play against him.  There’s only so many bullets in an arm. Those should be fired in the MLB.