Drew Hutchison?

wildcard

I don’t see how this team makes it through June and July much less the rest of the season without adding a starter or two that can eat some innings given the innings caps and lack of depth in the minors. At this point, we have one reliable starter in the rotation. 

I can see them signing someone like Hutchinson for sure. It’s probably necessary. We need bodies. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don’t see how this team makes it through June and July much less the rest of the season without adding a starter or two that can eat some innings given the innings caps and lack of depth in the minors. At this point, we have one reliable starter in the rotation. 

I can see them signing someone like Hutchinson for sure. It’s probably necessary. We need bodies. 

Very much agree.

38 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Wells  and Hall are  supposed to be on innings limits for the year.    That include  minor league innings.    By the time Grayson is ready in Sept (if that happens) Wells may be passed his pitch limit.  Plus the roster expands from 26 to 28 in Sept.  So the O's will probably add at least one pitcher in Sept.

Fair enough. Like I said, I'd prefer minor league contract. We still have options like Voth, Kevin Smith etc. I guess I'd rather go with an unproven young guy than a proven bad veteran. If we can stash him that would be OK. 

• Upvote 1

• wildcard changed the title to Drew Hutchison?

Elias has Vallimont fast approaching if he can put a few good starts together in Norfolk. He's in Bowie now though. I dont see anything that looks promising about Hutchison. He hasnt really even been average since 2014 when he was 23. 

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

Elias has Vallimont fast approaching if he can put a few good starts together in Norfolk. He's in Bowie now though. I dont see anything that looks promising about Hutchison. He hasnt really even been average since 2014 when he was 23. 

Vallimont was promoted to Norfolk today. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, owknows said:

I think we generally agree..  But I think there's less to work with at the moment.

But they've managed to squeeze some toothpaste out of the Lyles tube that everyone thought was empty...

Less to work with?  Sure.  

But if he’s so good, he should be able to do more with less.  That’s the point.

Btw, I think he’s doing fine but the idea that we can bring in broken pitcher X and he will fix them is absurd.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Less to work with?  Sure.  

But if he’s so good, he should be able to do more with less.  That’s the point.

Btw, I think he’s doing fine but the idea that we can bring in broken pitcher X and he will fix them is absurd.

Yeah... I don't think he's like "the junk starter whisperer" or anything....

But I do believe he is good. And does do more with less.

But also that there are degrees of less... and that improving a pitcher that seriously sucks... may only leave you with a pitcher that sucks.

Just now, owknows said:

Probably about as fair as to ask which reliever hasn't.

Yea but that’s an even smaller sample size and there are some noise in the stats that suggest regression.

Getting these guys to be better for one inning is a lot easier than 4-6 innings.