Jurrangelo Cjinte - novelty? legit prospect?

I definitely lean towards skepticism in terms of making that work long term against higher competition. Pat Venditte kinda scrapped together a MLB career for a bit trying to do this, but it just doesn't seem practical at the end of the day. But never say never, and props for the talent of this kid. I'm right handed and my left hand's main function is to make me look symmetrical on a daily basis. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I'm right handed and my left hand's main function is to make me look symmetrical on a daily basis. 

I'm a lefty and my right hand is every bit as functional!  Though I do manage to kick right-footed with my left foot being... well, a left foot.  

• Haha 1

I am skeptical until one of these guys succeeds. It isn’t impossible, but I think it is awfully difficult. The work that it takes for a pitcher to be really good with one arm, is amazing. To do the same work for both sides, nearly impossible. 

14 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I am skeptical until one of these guys succeeds. It isn’t impossible, but I think it is awfully difficult. The work that it takes for a pitcher to be really good with one arm, is amazing. To do the same work for both sides, nearly impossible. 

That's where I am too.  Ohtani broke a long-standing two-way barrier; I'm rooting for this guy to be an MLB contributor.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Does this count as success?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vendipa01.shtml

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

In some ways, sure. Anyone who makes it to the show, man, that is success. For a 20th round pick, sure. He debuted at age 29, and scrapped together a few years. I am aware of Pat Venditte. Heard all about him for years. All that hype, and really mediocre performance.

Cintje has more juice in his arms, for sure. It’s impressive that he can do what he has done. Maybe he is capable. But these guys put a lot of wear and tear on their bodies just working on one arm. Knees, hips, back and so on. It could be that working both sides is better for the body. But it’s a lot of work. Being skeptical doesn’t mean I’m not rooting for the guy. I root for all these young guys. I would be skeptical if the Orioles take him in the first few rounds, unless he agrees to pitch only on one side. 

• Like 1

I swear the Orioles had a minor leaguer with a very similar last name but I can't find it.   I believe his first name was Sherman.  Any old time nut job Oriole fans like me remember the name.   I was thinking maybe it was the father or relative of this kid.

Son of a gun.  His first name was Sherwin and I didn't get the last name right until I copy and pasted.  That's a tough last name.  Sherwin is 58 now.    How many Cijntjes could there be?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=cijntj001she

I used to be more of an Oriole nutjob than I am now as you can see.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I swear the Orioles had a minor leaguer with a very similar last name but I can't find it.   I believe his first name was Sherman.  Any old time nut job Oriole fans like me remember the name.   I was thinking maybe it was the father or relative of this kid.

Son of a gun.  His first name was Sherwin and I didn't get the last name right until I copy and pasted.  That's a tough last name.  Sherwin is 58 now.    How many Cijntjes could there be?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=cijntj001she

I used to be more of an Oriole nutjob than I am now as you can see.

Now that is damned impressive.  I bow to your knowledge of obscure Oriole minor leaguers from the 20th century!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1