Baumler scratched from his start today?

flaoriolesfan

19 hours ago, jabba72 said:

And the ones he does sign mostly get tiny bonuses. He's not even trying to sign good latin pitching.

Again, look at the Houston starting rotation.  They look pretty good.   They were all signed as 19 or 20 year old's which means they most likely were signed for peanuts.   So, you can say they aren't signing good Latin pitchers but I wouldn't be too hasty in saying that.

They obviously are following that blueprint here as many of our Latin pitches were signed after they were 16-17 year olds, which is when the big bonus guys are usually taken.   I have no idea how they do it but I'm sure there's a method.

3 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

Yeah, if he doesn’t go heavy on pitching in this year’s draft, we should be concerned. 

Well, I don't know if I would got that far. Elias has hit obvious thoughts that going with college bats is the best way to go in the draft. He'll sprinkle in a HS kid here and there but for the most part he's been very consistent. 

Now, do I think he should take some shots on high school pitching, yes, I'd like to see him take some shots on the high ceiling guys. Afterall, both GRod and Hall were not top ten guys and have turned out pretty darn good.

I'd personally like to see him mix it up and bit between college and high school now, but it will be interesting to see if he makes any adjustments.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Again, look at the Houston starting rotation.  They look pretty good.   They were all signed as 19 or 20 year old's which means they most likely were signed for peanuts.   So, you can say they aren't signing good Latin pitchers but I wouldn't be too hasty in saying that.

They obviously are following that blueprint here as many of our Latin pitches were signed after they were 16-17 year olds, which is when the big bonus guys are usually taken.   I have no idea how they do it but I'm sure there's a method.

Yes im sure theres a method to what he's doing, just hope it works out. Delmarva's pitching staff isnt too talented at the moment. 

29 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Yes im sure theres a method to what he's doing, just hope it works out. Delmarva's pitching staff isnt too talented at the moment. 

It's not?  Are you sure?   We have a bunch of 18-20 year old pitchers there including Deivy Cruz, Juan Delosantos, Chace, Edgar Portes, and Baumler among others.   Rangel has been on the IL for awhile but he's a talented pitcher.   Delosantos is a big kid who reportedly throws 93-96.  I don't know much about the others but I bet you don't either.   Not enough to say it isn't too talented.   There's a big difference between results and talent.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

It's not?  Are you sure?   We have a bunch of 18-20 year old pitchers there including Deivy Cruz, Juan Delosantos, Chace, Edgar Portes, and Baumler among others.   Rangel has been on the IL for awhile but he's a talented pitcher.   Delosantos is a big kid who reportedly throws 93-96.  I don't know much about the others but I bet you don't either.   Not enough to say it isn't too talented.   There's a big difference between results and talent.

Yes im aware of Rangel and De Los Santos, they are decent arms and De Los Santos K rate has been climbing. I think he is by far the best Latin pitching prospect in Delmarva this year. I dont think any of the other pitchers really are close to him there. Baumler is an exception when healthy. 

52 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Yes im aware of Rangel and De Los Santos, they are decent arms and De Los Santos K rate has been climbing. I think he is by far the best Latin pitching prospect in Delmarva this year. I dont think any of the other pitchers really are close to him there. Baumler is an exception when healthy. 

My point is, we don't really know do we?  Did anyone talk about Delosantos last year.  Do you know anything about Portes' stuff?  Alcantara?  I know I don't.  You mentioned talent. 

The Latin pitching prospects are usually always signed for cheap because they are so young when these guys sign and haven’t really matured at that early age.  This years class not 1 pitcher in the top 30.  In 2021 there was 1 pitcher in the top 30 and he was a 21 year old from Cuba.  No 2020 class because of pandemic. 2019 had 4 pitchers in top 30 1 of which was guy from Cuba who didn’t sign til next season.  2018 4 pitchers again in top 30.   For the most part all the high ranked Latin kids are outfielders, shortstops, and few catchers that are ranked high.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

My point is, we don't really know do we?  Did anyone talk about Delosantos last year.  Do you know anything about Portes' stuff?  Alcantara?  I know I don't.  You mentioned talent. 

For me talent means high k rates and low walk rates. No I dont know anything about those guys. Maybe when they have some success first I'll find out more about them.  

The K rate can be tricky metric, if the kid as a good fastball but can't get secondary stuff across he has a hard time getting strikeouts. But he could have a good curveball and average to below average fastball and rack up lots of strikeouts. In the long run you hope the pitcher with the big fastball gains command and turns into the better prospect.