20-15 since May 19th

Tony-OH

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think Elias is going to give Mancini and Santander away just to free up playing time and I'd imagine he's going to try and trade them for pitching. Mancini is one of the few guys on this current lineup that has a good OBP and he should have value to a contender. Santander probably doesn't have a ton of trade value.

It would be nice if Stowers got hot again in AAA. He would be the most likely replacement in the lineup for either one.

Santander may have value to a contending or hoping-to-contend team that needs, due to poor performance or injury, a real corner OFer. 

I would say the same thing about Trey, but the need has to be for a rental at 1B or DH. I think we tend to over-value Trey because of all the stuff we know about him. He also will cost about $2 million more than Santander for half a season.

When you take into account Trey's salary and upcoming free agency, I would say their trade value is pretty similar and depends in both cases on the right team(s) having the right need.

40 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Santander may have value to a contending or hoping-to-contend team that needs, due to poor performance or injury, a real corner OFer. 

I would say the same thing about Trey, but the need has to be for a rental at 1B or DH. I think we tend to over-value Trey because of all the stuff we know about him. He also will cost about $2 million more than Santander for half a season.

When you take into account Trey's salary and upcoming free agency, I would say their trade value is pretty similar and depends in both cases on the right team(s) having the right need.

I agree with the above.  I think value is similar and I also think the return for either would disappoint most here.  I think the only slim way to get an honest upside young SP would be to package either of the two with a controllable reliever.  IF Elias did something like that, I would be impressed.

August 2017, the last time we had the illusion that maybe the O’s were still a decent team.  That was the month Tim Beckham played like he was Alex Rodriguez in his prime.   Baseball can be pretty cruel.   Hopefully this winning month signals that we’re coming out the other side of a long, dark tunnel.   

Just looked it up.  We were in 4th in the WC race with a 71-68 record after a 7-6 w/o win against the MFY's on September 5th.  We were only 1.5 games behind the Angels and .5 game behind the Twins.  We then went 4-19.  Ouch!  Not as bad as 2002 when we finished 4-32 but not as much was expected of that team.  

Starting pitching will probably fall apart.... but if they were not in the AL East I would consider them a playoff contender.

If they thought of themselves as contenders they would do what contenders do, trade for starting pitching, and promote Gunner, Stowers, and Westy to the majors.

All hands on deck

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Starting pitching will probably fall apart.... but if they were not in the AL East I would consider them a playoff contender.

If they thought of themselves as contenders they would do what contenders do, trade for starting pitching, and promote Gunner, Stowers, and Westy to the majors.

All hands on deck

The best should be yet to come.  I'd take this past month as the sign that we should be preparing to "flip the switch" for next year, but I wouldn't be making any moves yet except those that boost our chances next season and beyond.

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

The O's are in the wild card race.  They are 6.5 games out. You never know what may happen. I'm rooting for them as contender.  

But with six teams ahead of them, they have to outplay a lot of teams to get there. Not saying it's impossible, just that this team is going to need a lot of things to go right and a lot of things to go bad for the other six teams.

And to think we were like 4 days away from a Grayson promotion. Gahhh.

I love watching this team, but I can't help feel like the starting pitching isn't sustainable. We're having this stretch on the backs of:

Wells, the Rule 5 ace
Lyles, innings guy
Kremer, who knows how long that lasts
Voth, the reckoning is coming at some point
Watkins, lucky to go 5 most nights

Obviously the bullpen is the difference. But this team neeeeeeds 2 starting pitchers. And Hall is not the answer, sadly. Not yet. Who else can we turn to? Well, basically Matt Harvey once he gets to Norfolk. No one else in Norfolk is an upgrade over Watkins, honestly. Which is a significant problem. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Elias trade for a middling SP, not because of any wild card race, but just to prop up this rotation that seems extremely tenuous right now.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But with six teams ahead of them, they have to outplay a lot of teams to get there. Not saying it's impossible, just that this team is going to need a lot of things to go right and a lot of things to go bad for the other six teams.

14-19 so far against the AL East (if I counted correctly). Gonna have to do much better than that the rest of way, eh?

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

And to think we were like 4 days away from a Grayson promotion. Gahhh.

I love watching this team, but I can't help feel like the starting pitching isn't sustainable. We're having this stretch on the backs of:

Wells, the Rule 5 ace
Lyles, innings guy
Kremer, who knows how long that lasts
Voth, the reckoning is coming at some point
Watkins, lucky to go 5 most nights

Obviously the bullpen is the difference. But this team neeeeeeds 2 starting pitchers. And Hall is not the answer, sadly. Not yet. Who else can we turn to? Well, basically Matt Harvey once he gets to Norfolk. No one else in Norfolk is an upgrade over Watkins, honestly. Which is a significant problem. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Elias trade for a middling SP, not because of any wild card race, but just to prop up this rotation that seems extremely tenuous right now.

Hall could be the answer.  Out of the bullpen.   

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Hall could be the answer.  Out of the bullpen.   

Maybe. He'd at least prop up someone like Voth who isn't fully stretched out. I'm all for that.

But let's say someone like Watkins gets injured. Who are you calling up to replace him? Basically all of Norfolk's starters have a 6-7 ERA right now. They've all just been really terrible. Now, they're not all top prospects or anything, but surely SOMEone could be posting a 4.50 ERA down there. It's really been a hot mess.