Ok, so now what?

Sports Guy

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good chance you won't see the Orioles doing much over the next week due to the holidays.

Not surprising. I expect MacPhail to make his moves in late January early Feb, right before pitchers and catchers report...

The Roberts trade will now be next, as rightfully he's probably told them to stick it. But I won't be waiting that one out with bated breath like the Bedard deal.

My enthusiasm for this organization and the offseason just took a huge hit today. It's going to be tough to get it back...

Think we'll beat this Marlins game from last season? lol

1379723371_60a1aa76fa.jpg

:eek: Is that really a regular season game?

Baltimore will always have a certain transient element of people that go to watch a game. Most of those people probably couldn't even tell you who is on the roster. Unless the economy gets REALLY bad......:(

Since we're the New Twins, or as I would say, the New Royals, we definitely need a complete fire sale of valuable property. Roberts? Gone. Nick? Gone. Huff? Gone. Guthrie? Heck, trade him too.

We can't afford all these guys. We have a farm system to build up, people. We can't do both things at once, putting a decent team on the field while building for tomorrow.

I'm being horribly sarcastic, but if AM is taking the "we can't afford any decent free agents" approach, we might as well jettison all of our valuable parts so that we have a huge mass of talented youngsters come up all at once, ala the Rays.

That's the only way to duplicate their "model," which is the only way AM thinks we can make it. I disagree with him, but I'm just an ignorant fan. My opinion matters not at all.

Oh I have no doubt MacPhail will jettison Roberts, something he's wanted to do since he got here.

With the crap offers we got last year and thinking his value is lower now. I think the O's might have to consider the draft picks more valuable. We will see if AM can get any takers to give anything of value up for him.

Since we're the New Twins, or as I would say, the New Royals, we definitely need a complete fire sale of valuable property. Roberts? Gone. Nick? Gone. Huff? Gone. Guthrie? Heck, trade him too.

We can't afford all these guys. We have a farm system to build up, people. We can't do both things at once, putting a decent team on the field while building for tomorrow.

I'm being horribly sarcastic, but if AM is taking the "we can't afford any decent free agents" approach, we might as well jettison all of our valuable parts so that we have a huge mass of talented youngsters come up all at once, ala the Rays.

That's the only way to duplicate their "model," which is the only way AM thinks we can make it. I disagree with him, but I'm just an ignorant fan. My opinion matters not at all.

I agree, unless he can get more value than I think he can for Huff, Roberts, and Scott.

First off, I know I don't post here too often, so my opinion doesn't carry much relevancy. But know that I am an avid reader and keep up with everything.

With that being said, I agree with JTRea. Blow. It. Up. But I'm talking, full scale rebuilding.

1. Roberts, good as gone. Wouldn't even bother trying to extend him. By the time we try to compete, he's a bad contract (ok, that may be pushing it considering 2b's like Kent seem to stick around for a while). Either way, get what we can for him.

3. Extend Markakis. I DO NOT CARE WHAT IT TAKES. OVERPAY FOR THE NEXT FIFTEEN YEARS. LOCK UP THE ONLY TRUE HOPE WE HAVE.

2. Flat out release Mora, Baez, and Walker, if they cannot be traded. Yea, I know it may not be that simple. But if we were willing to give Tex 20 mil a year, we can sure eat the money for the season.

3. Trade Guts. Yes, Trade Jeremy Guthrie. Now, I know Guthrie is no Bedard, but he's a two or three on another team. Get what we can for him. The O's have the cellar as good as locked up. Really, is the team winning 10 more games going to impact anyones viewpoint? No. Year 12 is Year 12.

4. Trade Huff for whatever we can. A bag of bricks. Hang on to him if we can't trade him. He is not going to have the year he had last year. NO CHANCE. Sell him while the value is high.

5. Trade Scott. Pretty self explanatory.

6. Trade Sherrill. Pretty self explanatory

7. Wieters, Jones, Kakes, off-limits. Listen for offers on anyone else. ANYONE, including the Big 3. Granted, it would take a TREMENDOUS OFFER for any one of them; I wouldn't sell them for nothing. But listen for offers.

8. If Wieters impresses, sign him to a Longoria-type extension

I can tell you what the Orioles win 66 games this year. They say they are right on schedule with what they are trying to accomplish. They say we are interested in a few big name FA's and we watch them sign elsewhere and do this all over again.

It is the same old song and dance with this franchise.

You've still got 140M you thought was going to be spent on Tex. If you give 70M to Nick you lock him in while leaving yourself money, to play with, for Wieters when he arrives.

Personally, I think you have a great idea. My question is do you really think Markakis wants to play 7 more years with this team?

You've still got 140M you thought was going to be spent on Tex. If you give 70M to Nick you lock him in while leaving yourself money, to play with, for Wieters when he arrives.

We can't forget about Jonesy either. He still could be a hell of a player.

Archived