Ok, so now what?

Sports Guy

IMO, MacPhail and Angelos know they have to do something at least a little dramatic to attempt appeasing a now very disgruntled fan base. They may make a play for Dunn, but I doubt it. And an appealing offer to Ben Sheets would definitely stir some souls. But I think we are going to see a couple of trades that will likely raise as much furor and it does hope.

If they wouldn't spend a 2nd round pick on Teixiera, I doubt they'd do it for Sheets. Just my opinion.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What makes you bring up Atlanta?

I agree that trading Markakis should be explored now. If he can bring back 3-4 potential studs he should be let go. Maybe this is why AM was looking at Pie?

We really have no choice now but to linger in mediocrity or make wholesale changes akin to the marlins of the past.

His favorite team growing up, and in need of a stud RF/#3 hitter. Perfect fit, and I think Nick signs below market to stay with ATL long term.

I don't understand the desire to force a decision on Markakis. We have him for three more years. If he doesn't want to extend now, that doesn't mean you have to trade him...hopefully the O's future will look brighter a year from now than it does now, with Weiters established as a star and with Matusz, Arietta and Tillman knocking on the door. Maybe he'll be more willing to extend next offseason. If not, we can always trade him then and still get an impressive return.

I do think Roberts has to be available for the right price. My brother is a Cubs fan and sportswriter; he thinks that Hendry would still love to get Roberts and might give up Vitters and Sean Marshall if the O's were willing to pay some of Roberts' salary. I'd make that trade.

I think the O's do need to sign a couple of veteran starters to eat up some innings. We saw what happened down the stretch when the O's were in "sink or swim" mode with their pitching staff, and I don't think it would help the O's in the short run or the long run to rush guys like Hernandez or to keep running Liz out there in the rotation when he could actually help the team in the bullpen. The key is not to make any significant financial or time committment to any of these bargain basement guys. I'd rather have someone crummy like Hendrickson or Redding for one year than someone a little better like Kawakami or Looper for two or three years. All of these guys are just placeholders at best, who will be redundant as soon as Arietta, Tillman and Matusz are ready.

Sign Zaun...trade Luke Scott...trade Huff if anyone is willing to offer a real prospect for him.

Needless to say, the O's are destined for another last place, 90 loss season, but if they add to the base of young talent things might be looking up a year from now.

IMO, MacPhail and Angelos know they have to do something at least a little dramatic to attempt appeasing a now very disgruntled fan base. They may make a play for Dunn, but I doubt it. And an appealing offer to Ben Sheets would definitely stir some souls. But I think we are going to see a couple of trades that will likely raise as much furor and it does hope.

Extending Markakis, will help a great amount.

I just don't see us even making an offer to any more big named free agents this winter ( Sheets, Dunn, Lowe ).

I don't understand the desire to force a decision on Markakis. We have him for three more years. If he doesn't want to extend now, that doesn't mean you have to trade him...hopefully the O's future will look brighter a year from now than it does now, with Weiters established as a star and with Matusz, Arietta and Tillman knocking on the door. Maybe he'll be more willing to extend next offseason. If not, we can always trade him then and still get an impressive return.

I do think Roberts has to be available for the right price. My brother is a Cubs fan and sportswriter; he thinks that Hendry would still love to get Roberts and might give up Vitters and Sean Marshall if the O's were willing to pay some of Roberts' salary. I'd make that trade.

I think the O's do need to sign a couple of veteran starters to eat up some innings. We saw what happened down the stretch when the O's were in "sink or swim" mode with their pitching staff, and I don't think it would help the O's in the short run or the long run to rush guys like Hernandez or to keep running Liz out there in the rotation when he could actually help the team in the bullpen. The key is not to make any significant financial or time committment to any of these bargain basement guys. I'd rather have someone crummy like Hendrickson or Redding for one year than someone a little better like Kawakami or Looper for two or three years. All of these guys are just placeholders at best, who will be redundant as soon as Arietta, Tillman and Matusz are ready.

Sign Zaun...trade Luke Scott...trade Huff if anyone is willing to offer a real prospect for him.

Needless to say, the O's are destined for another last place, 90 loss season, but if they add to the base of young talent things might be looking up a year from now.

I agree 100% dont trade Markakis until it is very clear we have no chance to sign him, And the future is indeed still bright for us if we make some good deals for some of our vets.

You extend Nick...6/65-7/85...Whatever in that range.

How about this happens though...AM DOESN'T TAKE 2 MONTHS TO GET STUFF DONE!

BRob should be dealt...AM needs to get moving on this...He should try and trade Scott, Sherrill, Mora, Huff, etc.....

You have just announced to MLB that you will never be seriously involved in a top flight FA, so you need to go cheap and build with young talent, extend your own and then let them walk when they are FAs.

You have just announced to MLB that you will never be seriously involved in a top flight FA, so you need to go cheap and build with young talent, extend your own and then let them walk when they are FAs.

I'm not saying they will or won't be, but how on earth do you come to that conclusion from this? Seems like an illogical conclusion to me.

Trade Roberts

Attempt to sign Markakis and if thats a no go then trade him too. I think if he won't sign now then the writing is on the wall.

Sign three pitchers, two for the short term and one for the long term. It is such a weak market right now that the Orioles need to exploit it and sign some pitchers cheap.

Thats what the Orioles need to do now. This is not the end of the world, in fact the biggest losers today are the Brewers and Blue Jays.

You extend Nick...6/65-7/85...Whatever in that range.

How about this happens though...AM DOESN'T TAKE 2 MONTHS TO GET STUFF DONE!

BRob should be dealt...AM needs to get moving on this...He should try and trade Scott, Sherrill, Mora, Huff, etc.....

Yep, he needs be working the phones during the Christmas holidays. No holiday for him. Work AM, work! Seriously though, now let's see what direction we go in now that Tex is gone.:(

Thanks, I didn't know that. What do you think we could reasonably expect in return? I think we need to explore it.

Oh, I don't know. I'd think you could reasonable get (assuming Heyward/Hanson are off limits -- which I'm not sure they would be for Markakis) Rohrbough, Hernandez, Hicks, Morton. To be honest, I think you could get two of these and one of Hanson/Heyward. Maybe Hanson/Hicks/Hernandez. I jump on that. Also, I shift Reimold to RF where his arm easily plays.

Trade Roberts

Attempt to sign Markakis and if thats a no go then trade him too. I think if he won't sign now then the writing is on the wall.

Sign three pitchers, two for the short term and one for the long term. It is such a weak market right now that the Orioles need to exploit it and sign some pitchers cheap.

Thats what the Orioles need to do now. This is not the end of the world, in fact the biggest losers today are the Brewers and Blue Jays.

I would add the Red Sox to that list. They just feel to third place today with a huge questionmark at third base. Can you say Jake Peavey???:)

Oh, I don't know. I'd think you could reasonable get (assuming Heyward/Hanson are off limits -- which I'm not sure they would be for Markakis) Rohrbough, Hernandez, Hicks, Morton. To be honest, I think you could get two of these and one of Hanson/Heyward. Maybe Hanson/Hicks/Hernandez. I jump on that. Also, I shift Reimold to RF where his arm easily plays.

This is where the Orioles should go. I hate to say this, but we need to finish near last place next year to further restock. I know no fan wants to think about that but, honestly, the best thing that could happen to us next year is to lose 100 games or more.

If we can get worse for next year and in turn improve the future with 3-4 guys from Atlanta AND a top 3 draft pick for 2010 draft we have to do it. The mediocrity/middle class in baseball just got bigger and nobody can win from there. You have to stockpile and hope for a banner couple of years to come together.

Our top pitchers will not be able to bring us to contention in the next two years at which point what is the point of still having Markakis around?

We have to gamble and hope it pans out.

I'm not saying they will or won't be, but how on earth do you come to that conclusion from this? Seems like an illogical conclusion to me.

I agree with what SG is saying. If we're not going after the hometown boy, who will we target?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we never signed a Type A free agent under MacPhail's tenure.

Archived