Halfway to 74 wins?

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Please keep your political leanings to yourself.   

Has nothing to do with politics.  Pick a media outlet.  They all lie. CNN was just the first to jump in my head.  Don’t need to be offended because I picked YOUR media outlet.  :)

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol.  Ok.  It’s just impossible to discuss this with someone who clearly doesn’t read the board or if you do, you are just not comprehending the thoughts or lying about what you are reading.

Either way, don’t lie about what I said.  I know it’s your favorite pastime to run to Tony and cry because you feewings got hurt about something but lying makes you way worse.

Dude you just mischaracterized the position of everyone other than the "few" and then accuse me of lying. I already admitted I slightly misread your post. Please name three people who have said we shouldn't be trying to compete by 2023. I would be surprised if you can find one 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Dude you just mischaracterized the position of everyone other than the "few" and then accuse me of lying. I already admitted I slightly misread your post. Please name three people who have said we shouldn't be trying to compete by 2023. I would be surprised if you can find one 

You are moving the goal posts, which is fairly typical.

I never said people didn’t say we should start trying to compete in 2023.

Trying to compete and being able to contend are 2 completely different things.  I never said people want the team to sit on their hands heading into 2023.

But most people saw 2024 as the first year they could contend for a playoff spot.  Most looked at 2023 as a year to be 500.

I was one of the few (yes one of the few) who believed they could contend for a playoff spot in 2023.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

...The reality is that most of you have no idea of tone or you are too sensitive or you just don’t like people saying they are right, you are wrong, etc…people hate the truth. It’s the nature of the person to hate being told the truth because the truth hurts. ...

I am sorry I hurt you.

The truth is you contradict yourself so frequently there are not many things that you can claim.  

The rebuild is over.  The O's can contend in 2023.  Only draft "elite" talent.  None of that is earth shattering, or in proper context, debatable.  Sign, Stroman, sign Bryant...but we also get, this team isn't even trying to win.  Elias' effort is pathetic, and if he does not draft Jones, he should be fired. 

For you being wrong means you are speaking about something that "most of you cannot" grasp, or what you need to understand or better yet, you're stupid, dense, a bootlicker or some other "tone" to clarify.  That is unfortunate because expressing an opinion doesn't have to prove right or wrong to have value or to provide entertainment.

As I have said, I enjoy the many iterations that you propose regardless of whether I think they could or even should happen.  My previous post was not about right or wrong.  It focused on your claiming that the the 2022 team was designed to lose, was pathetic and intentionally trying to lose ballgames, but somehow you wanted "credit" for saying the '23 O's would contend.  That simply is a not the truth.  You have continuously stated this "trying to lose" nonsense and did it again yesterday in the draft thread.  Your post above is gibberish as was your post claiming to be one of the first to see the Orioles as set up to contend in 23.  

It's not the truth.  YOU would have had the Orioles in contention in 23.  Elias was still rebuilding after the rebuild was over....last year.  He was pathetically trying to lose in 2022. 

Edited by foxfield
edit cannot to can

23 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I am sorry I hurt you.

The truth is you contradict yourself so frequently there are not many things that you can claim.  

The rebuild is over.  The O's can contend in 2023.  Only draft "elite" talent.  None of that is earth shattering, or in proper context, debatable.  Sign, Stroman, sign Bryant...but we also get, this team isn't even trying to win.  Elias' effort is pathetic, and if he does not draft Jones, he should be fired. 

For you being wrong means you are speaking about something that "most of you cannot" grasp, or what you need to understand or better yet, you're stupid, dense, a bootlicker or some other "tone" to clarify.  That is unfortunate because expressing an opinion doesn't have to prove right or wrong to have value or to provide entertainment.

As I have said, I enjoy the many iterations that you propose regardless of whether I think they could or even should happen.  My previous post was not about right or wrong.  It focused on your claiming that the the 2022 team was designed to lose, was pathetic and intentionally trying to lose ballgames, but somehow you wanted "credit" for saying the '23 O's would contend.  That simply is a not the truth.  You have continuously stated this "trying to lose" nonsense and did it again yesterday in the draft thread.  Your post above is gibberish as was your post claiming to be one of the first to see the Orioles as set up to contend in 23.  

It's not the truth.  YOU would have had the Orioles in contention in 23.  Elias was still rebuilding after the rebuild was over....last year.  He was pathetically trying to lose in 2022. 

So many lies and misrepresentations of what I say that you aren’t worth the time to continue to talk to.  

Dang Y’all.  All this after the best win of the year?  I guess the positive take away is that there are still a bunch of passionate Os fans out there.   Play nice peeps - all your contributions keep the board entertaining and informative.  Go O’s!

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Dang Y’all.  All this after the best win of the year?  I guess the positive take away is that there are still a bunch of passionate Os fans out there.   Play nice peeps - all your contributions keep the board entertaining and informative.  Go O’s!

Don't stop em! This is almost as good as "Who's On First"!😀

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Has nothing to do with politics.  Pick a media outlet.  They all lie. CNN was just the first to jump in my head.  Don’t need to be offended because I picked YOUR media outlet.  :)

They’re actually not my main media outlet, to the extent I even have one.  

Just bringing this back to objective reality, in the preseason OH poll (which SG actually started), fewer than 8% of posters predicted the team would win more than 70 games.   So, if the O’s accomplish that, they will have exceeded almost everybody’s expectations.   The strong majority of posters (over 65%) thought we’d win 65 or fewer.   

Obviously, it is easier to envision the 2023 Orioles as potential contenders if they win 70+ this year than if they win 65 or fewer.  There’s simply less ground to make up.  And, they only win 70+ If there have been several positive developments that were far from certain when the year began (e.g., Wells developing into a reliable starter).

I think another factor impacting the view of next year is the speed with which Henderson and Westburg have made it to AAA, and their success there to date, and particularly Henderson’s ascension from being a top 100 prospect to a top 5-25 prospect (depending on your source).   Those are very important factors in how next year is viewed.   It wasn’t obvious when this year started that those two might be ready for the majors next Opening Day or even before.

There’s still a lot that can happen between now and then end of this season that could color one’s view of whether the O’s can contend next year.  But the picture is undoubtedly brighter now than it was last offseason.

• Upvote 1