Elias Draft Recap for HS Pitchers

In the ten years the Elias has run the draft (Astros & O’s), he has drafted only 5 HS pitchers in the first 5 rounds (see below).  With that info and success history, no way do the O’s going over slot for a HS arm  with 33, 42, 67, 81 or 107.   I could see overslot option for college rehab pitchers or HS position players/sophomores.  My idea is taking Lee/Johnson/Collier at 1 for 2 mil discount and take Whisehunt at 33 for 4.3 mil - overslot who would have been a top pick 15 sans the suspension. 

12.  McCullers at 41

14. Aikens at 1 and Nix at 136

16. Whitley at 17

18. Schroeder at 61

1 minute ago, WI O’s Fan said:

In the ten years the Elias has run the draft (Astros & O’s), he has drafted only 5 HS pitchers in the first 5 rounds (see below).  With that info and success history, no way do the O’s going over slot for a HS arm  with 33, 42, 67, 81 or 107.   I could see overslot option for college rehab pitchers or HS position players/sophomores.  My idea is taking Lee/Johnson/Collier at 1 for 2 mil discount and take Whisehunt at 33 for 4.3 mil - overslot who would have been a top pick 15 sans the suspension. 

12.  McCullers at 41

16. Whitley at 17

18. Schroeder at 61

Whisenhunt was suspended for PED's.   Might mean nothing but why not take someone else without that red flag?      

11 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Whisenhunt took an over the counter supplement .  The others are recovering from injury or are rated lower.  If the background checks out, I like that choice.

Big ECU fan, big Whisenhunt fan, would love to take him with our 2nd or 3rd pick. Highly doubt he is returning to school so I don’t think you have to go much over slot. I also don’t buy the over the counter story but am not concerned about it he has some filthy stuff. 

31 minutes ago, WI O’s Fan said:

Whisenhunt took an over the counter supplement .  The others are recovering from injury or are rated lower.  If the background checks out, I like that choice.

That's what they all say.  Count me skeptical but .....

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, RZNJ said:

That's what they all say.  Count me skeptical but .....

I await the day when someone suspended for doping does not claim it was due to an over the counter supplement. 

Insert picture of cadaver on a bench here. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2022 at 11:24 AM, WI O’s Fan said:

12.  McCullers at 41

16. Whitley at 17

18. Schroeder at 61

Wasn't Carter Baumler a 5th rd pick when the draft was only 5 rounds?