Here is where Elias’ job gets hard

Frobby

I don't think it's too difficult yet.  For me, guys on one or two year deals are up, anyone signed as a flier over the past two years who are doing well, arbitration eligible players.  I don't think we are transitioning to the "win now" phase.  I think there's another round of gathering prospects and trying to sell off some players like Mancini who maybe aren't part of the long-term plan of the team.  As fun as they've been to watch, I think Elias is still in build and acquire mode than trying to make moves to maybe get a Wildcard.  But he has to be pleased with what the team is doing right now.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Reportedly Miami wouldn't do Mullins for Meyer in the preseason. Why would they do Meyer now plus more guys, particularly after Mullins has shown some regression? 

Tate has three-plus years of control. I don't see the rush to trade him unless you believe this season is a fluke and he actually sucks. I see a guy who is coming into his own as a solid middle innings guy with the upside of a 7th-8th inning guy. 

At this point, I think my game plan would be to basically stand pat, improve from within, and see what happens. We're not getting much for Mancini rental, so let him finish out the season with the guys he has helped get to this spot, then let him walk at the end of the season. 

I would move Santander, ideally for a piece that can help us now. If we can get a starter like Snell in a salary dump that would be perfect. Then replace Santander with Stowers, bring up Westburg to help the infield. 

Call up Hall for the bullpen. Use Wells as a 1-2 inning opener and stretch out Akin a bit more to pick up his innings along with Hall. 

Maybe see if anyone would be interested in a replacement level starter for Yusniel Diaz. 

I really like this plan, this is pretty much how I am looking at it.  I think we need to try and find a way to get Diaz major league at bats before trading him.  I think he could be one of those guys who just flips a switch when you put him in a major league stadium and goes off.  I mean he probably wont stay healthy, but I would at least like to see before trading him for a bag of balls.

21 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Reportedly Miami wouldn't do Mullins for Meyer in the preseason. Why would they do Meyer now plus more guys, particularly after Mullins has shown some regression? 

Tate has three-plus years of control. I don't see the rush to trade him unless you believe this season is a fluke and he actually sucks. I see a guy who is coming into his own as a solid middle innings guy with the upside of a 7th-8th inning guy. 

At this point, I think my game plan would be to basically stand pat, improve from within, and see what happens. We're not getting much for Mancini rental, so let him finish out the season with the guys he has helped get to this spot, then let him walk at the end of the season. 

I would move Santander, ideally for a piece that can help us now. If we can get a starter like Snell in a salary dump that would be perfect. Then replace Santander with Stowers, bring up Westburg to help the infield. 

Call up Hall for the bullpen. Use Wells as a 1-2 inning opener and stretch out Akin a bit more to pick up his innings along with Hall. 

Maybe see if anyone would be interested in a replacement level starter for Yusniel Diaz. 

1) Where was the report about Meyer and Mullins?  Btw, Mullins is still on pace for a 4+ WAR season.

2)  I don’t think Tate is as good as he is showing.  Maybe he is maturing and will be better going forward but I’m done believing in him.  Have been burned in the past and I just think he’s a run of the mill reliever capable of very good seasons and very mediocre seasons.  I would rather cash in on him now.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

1) Where was the report about Meyer and Mullins?  Btw, Mullins is still on pace for a 4+ WAR season.

2)  I don’t think Tate is as good as he is showing.  Maybe he is maturing and will be better going forward but I’m done believing in him.  Have been burned in the past and I just think he’s a run of the mill reliever capable of very good seasons and very mediocre seasons.  I would rather cash in on him now.

To be honest, I thought I saw that somewhere but can't find it. Either way, I would think both teams' interest in this deal would be somewhat lower than in March, and it didn't happen then. 

On Tate, I would just assume his overall body of work is representative of his potential production. That said, feel free to speculate otherwise. Even so, "run of the mill" is not a bad outcome relative to his cost. I guess I would take a wow offer but I'm not shopping him for bags of balls. 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

To be honest, I thought I saw that somewhere but can't find it. Either way, I would think both teams' interest in this deal would be somewhat lower than in March, and it didn't happen then. 

On Tate, I would just assume his overall body of work is representative of his potential production. That said, feel free to speculate otherwise. Even so, "run of the mill" is not a bad outcome relative to his cost. I guess I would take a wow offer but I'm not shopping him for bags of balls. 

Well good since I didn’t suggest we trade him for a bag of balls.

20 hours ago, LookinUp said:

The only guy I’d sell for not above market is Santander and that’s because his replacement may be better.

Otherwise, you don’t have to deal. Not even Mancini, though I’d be fine with trading him or Santander depending on who brings the most back.

Get Westburg, Stowers, Henderson, Hall and Vavra up around 8-1 and let them play. Hopefully Rodriguez is ready on 9-1. 

Figure out a SP acquisition in the off-season.

Seems like it would be malpractice to bring all these guys up this season and have all of them (and Adley) hit free agency at the same time.

Edited by casadeozo
spelling

Somehow I can't imagine the headline "Santander traded for Snell".    Santander is average ML RF.   Snell is a former Cy Young pitcher, 29 year old, currently at his career norms in K's (11.8/9).   Who means more to a contender, Santander or Snell?

I don't think Santander gets you Snell in this universe.   But I guess you never know.

Snell's last two starts.  11 IP. 7 hits, 2 runs, 6 walks. 23 K's.    I don't think he's going anywhere.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Seems like it would be malpractice to bring all these guys up this season and have all of them (and Adley) hit free agency at the same time.

It certainly isn't ideal to have a core all hit FA at the same time, but they'll all hit within a year of each other anyway, so I'm not sure what else you do, particularly when it's time to bring these guys up anyway.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Somehow I can't imagine the headline "Santander traded for Snell".    Santander is average ML RF.   Snell is a former Cy Young pitcher, 29 year old, currently at his career norms in K's (11.8/9).   Who means more to a contender, Santander or Snell?

I don't think Santander gets you Snell in this universe.   But I guess you never know.

He certainly shouldn't get you Snell.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Snell's last two starts.  11 IP. 7 hits, 2 runs, 6 walks. 23 K's.    I don't think he's going anywhere.

i agree it's not likely to happen but the speculation is that the Padres need shed some salary to stay under the luxury tax and Santander would fill a need. 

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

i agree it's not likely to happen but the speculation is that the Padres need shed some salary to stay under the luxury tax and Santander would fill a need. 

If a team is selling "low" on Snell, the market will respond and the price will not be as low anymore.

It takes more than Santander.

If we're still within a couple/few games of the wild card by the end of the month, I do think it makes Elias' job harder. 

On the one hand, it pushes guys to the majors. That's not that hard.

On the other hand, it makes him deviate from the dump for prospects plan that he has in place. 

It would be hard to watch this team trade Mancini if the replacement is essentially Stowers/Santander.

43 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It certainly isn't ideal to have a core all hit FA at the same time, but they'll all hit within a year of each other anyway, so I'm not sure what else you do, particularly when it's time to bring these guys up anyway.

Hopefully, they'll extend a few but the biggest hope is that you have another wave of prospects coming along.  Of course, we hope not to have the top 5 type picks anymore and that will make it tougher but perhaps that gets balanced out by a Latin program that is now at full steam ahead.   If we are lucky enough to have a Westburg, Henderson, Vavra infield for the next 5 years, what do you do with Norby, Prieto, Hernaiz, etc. if they turn out to be top prospects as well?   Trade them for other prospects or pieces.

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

If we're still within a couple/few games of the wild card by the end of the month, I do think it makes Elias' job harder. 

On the one hand, it pushes guys to the majors. That's not that hard.

On the other hand, it makes him deviate from the dump for prospects plan that he has in place. 

It would be hard to watch this team trade Mancini if the replacement is essentially Stowers/Santander.

Would you have a problem with Stowers straight up replacing Santander?    I don't and I think that is more likely.