Is it Sustainable?

Yossarian

Is the recent success of this team sustainable?  When you look at the team offensive numbers and league rankings, the Orioles offense is performing below average, in general, and well below average in several categories. 

Pitching is obviously carrying this team so far, but can it be sustained as the season gets into the dig days and pitcher's arms start to wear?  

Will Mancini, Hays, Santander, and Mountcastle start hitting more HRs to give the pitchers a little more room for error?

Will Mullins get some of his long ball power from last year back?

Will Mateo end up with more HRs on the season than Mancini?

Will we get any production out of the bottom of the order?

So many questions regarding this offense going forward.  I don't think the pitching success can hold up  -  need some offense.

I don't want to seem like a downer, but I think it will be difficult for this team to sustain this.  

This streak seems like the perfect storm, where the teams the O's are playing are not very good or just cold at the moment.   They have taken advantage of this easy part of the schedule, but the next couple of weeks with games versus the Yanks/Rays could easily turn this train around. 

When I look at this rotation, I feel like they are overachieving and I'm not sure they can sustain the pace.  

Just to be clear, I'm hoping that they don't lose another game this season.  :)  I think if things stay as they are, they can probably be close to a .500 team this year.   

• Upvote 2

I just don't see how you maintain > .500 with a rotation of Lyles/Kremer/Voth/Watkins and Wells on an innings limit. If Holt and Hyde can get 81 wins out of these guys they are geniuses. It's possible some combination of Vavra, Westburg and Hall give us some help but that will mostly offset the loss of Wells. 

Don't believe we can sustain this. Trades, schedule, injuries, pitching all can and will have an impact. I want to believe, but....... One thing though - if we play at least 400 ball the rest of the way we end up at least a 74 - 88 record. Not many on here including me thought this at the start!  Great leap from last few years and intro to 2023 and beyond!

• Upvote 1

Can they sustain winning every game? No.   Can they win 85?  I think so.

Hall and Harvey are both ready. Harvey was not supported by the kind of catching pen, and defense that the team has now.  I look for the coaches to help Bradish get some movement on his fastball.  That makes the starting 8 deep.   I think the pen can continue to do well especially with the starters going deeper.

If the O's keep playing well I could see Westburg, Gunnar and Vavra  joining the team in the 2nd half.  Stowers is ready now and Vavra will be ready in about a week.  

I think there is a good chance this is a playoff team if Elias doesn't sell off key player(s) at the deadline.

It’s sustainable. Reasons why,

- The Adley effect

- Any trades we make

- Healthy Urias

- 28 man roster in September 

- GR healthy

- Using Bradish, Zimmerman, and Matt Harvey to supplement the rotation

- Stowers

- Do we call up any of Hall, Gunnar, Westburg, and Vavra  

We have staying power. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s sustainable. Reasons why,

- The Adley effect

- Any trades we make

- Healthy Urias

- 28 man roster in September 

- GR healthy

- Using Bradish, Zimmerman, and Matt Harvey to supplement the rotation

- Stowers

- Do we call up any of Hall, Gunnar, Westburg, and Vavra  

We have staying power. 

Is there anything out there saying GR will be back this year? I had heard he was improving but no time tables