We are up. Who do you want for pick 81, and who do you think they will take?

Just now, RZNJ said:

There's almost always a reason why players drop.   Either they have a strong commitment to go to college or return to college or there are injury concerns or they have a price tag that teams don't want to pay at where they think the player should be picked.

It wasn't by pure chance that Porter dropped out of the 1st round.   You're not that dumb.   Wait ..........

I

I never said it was by pure chance, did I? 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Why do you think he dropped?   Not even a guess?

Who knows..could have had something medical pop up.  Could be his violent delivery.  Could be his demands once he fell out of the first round.  Maybe he has some undisclosed off field issue.  Maybe teams didn’t value his upside the way Mayo and Callis did, especially for his signing bonus demands.

There are lots of reasons.  One of those reasons wasn’t that he was only going to sign with one team and was fine with waiting until R4 to do it.  

I do think it’s likely that as day 2 started, that he talked to teams and told them his demands and he knew only a few teams could meet those demands and Boras knew Texas would meet it. That I’m sure happened.  

But that’s far different than saying they worked it out pre draft and Texas knew he would be there in R4.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Who knows..could have had something medical pop up.  Could be his violent delivery.  Could be his demands once he fell out of the first round.  Maybe he has some undisclosed off field issue.  Maybe teams didn’t value his upside the way Mayo and Callis did, especially for his signing bonus demands.

There are lots of reasons.  One of those reasons wasn’t that he was only going to sign with one team and was fine with waiting until R4 to do it.  

Do you believe Porter had a number and wasn't signing unless he got that number?

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I do think it’s likely that as day 2 started, that he talked to teams and told them his demands and he knew only a few teams could meet those demands and Boras knew Texas would meet it. That I’m sure happened.  

But that’s far different than saying they worked it out pre draft and Texas knew he would be there in R4.

Obviously Texas couldn't know. 

That's asinine.

Just now, RZNJ said:

Do you believe Porter had a number and wasn't signing unless he got that number?

I believe he had a ballpark that he required to sign or else he would go to school.

Texas gave him 3.9M I believe.  Do I think he goes to college if another team drafted him and paid him 3.5M?  No, I think he still signs.  But 2.5-3M?  Yea I could see him not sign at that.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Obviously Texas couldn't know. 

That's asinine.

But that’s my whole point.  People are saying it was a pre draft deal.  You said since it was the same agent, it’s likely that occurred.  

That’s all I’m pushing back against..that the Rangers did this pre draft and knew it was going to happen this way.  

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But that’s my whole point.  People are saying it was a pre draft deal.  You said since it was the same agent, it’s likely that occurred.  

That’s all I’m pushing back against..that the Rangers did this pre draft and knew it was going to happen this way.  

And I'm pushing back on you saying that Texas knew.

Do I think this was the plan?

Yes, but plans sometimes fail.  It was certainly possible that Porter wouldn't be there until the fourth.  I'm sure there is a reason the Rangers didn't wait later to select him.  If they were 100% certain he wouldn't get selected they would have waited longer.

Here is a question.

If this wasn't the plan where do you think the Rangers were going to spend the excess cap money?  What big overslots were sitting there if they didn't go Porter?  How does picking Rocker that early make sense if you don't follow it up with a Porter?

It was a package deal orchestrated by Boras. 

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I believe he had a ballpark that he required to sign or else he would go to school.

Texas gave him 3.9M I believe.  Do I think he goes to college if another team drafted him and paid him 3.5M?  No, I think he still signs.  But 2.5-3M?  Yea I could see him not sign at that.

So it seems to me that he told teams he wouldn't sign for less than 3.9M or whatever.   Once he got past pick 15 (slot around 4M) it would required teams calling his bluff.   No one did.     So, I don't think Texas knew 100% he was going to be there in the 4th but I think they had a good idea that there was a chance.   Now it could even be more than that, depending on what Boras may have told teams.    Did Boras know that he had the safety net of the Texas Rangers at 3.9M?   100%%%%%%%%%%%

To add to that.  I think Boras knew he had a safety net before the draft began.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And I'm pushing back on you saying that Texas knew.

Do I think this was the plan?

Yes, but everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.  It was certainly possible that Porter wouldn't be there until the fourth.  I'm sure there is a reason the Rangers didn't wait later to select him.  If they were 100% certain he wouldn't get selected they would have waited longer.

Here is a question.

If this wasn't the plan where do you think the Rangers were going to spend the excess cap money?  What big overslots were sitting there if they didn't go Porter?  How does picking Rocker that early make sense if you don't follow it up with a Porter?

It was a package deal orchestrated by Boras. 

FFS, I’m not saying Texas knew.  I’m saying the opposite of that.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

So it seems to me that he told teams he wouldn't sign for less than 3.9M or whatever.   Once he got past pick 15 (slot around 4M) it would required teams calling his bluff.   No one did.     So, I don't think Texas knew 100% he was going to be there in the 4th but I think they had a good idea that there was a chance.   Now it could even be more than that, depending on what Boras may have told teams.    Did Boras know that he had the safety net of the Texas Rangers at 3.9M?   100%%%%%%%%%%%

Agree with all of this.