Rutschman vs Witt

Filmstudy

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Here is what is 100% true.  When a lot of money and/or power is at stake, people do whatever they can to cut corners to achieve those things.

I don’t care what industry it is.

The players are doing something. Maybe it’s legal, maybe it’s not but they are doing something.

Maybe I am naive but my eye test says whatever PED's they are using are not as impactful as whatever the Bonds generation was taking. I agree the athletes are likely a step ahead of the authorities but at least they have normal sized heads now. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

Maybe I am naive but my eye test says whatever PED's they are using are not as impactful as whatever the Bonds generation was taking. I agree the athletes are likely a step ahead of the authorities but at least they have normal sized heads now. 

So are you one of those folks that think cheating isn't as bad if it isn't as impactful?

A little cheating is OK but not if it helps too much?  (whatever too much is)

Kinda like how using bullfrog and rosin was fine but spidertack was too much?

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not just speculation.

You got folks testing balls every season.

We know, for instance, that MLB was giving Judge hot balls when he was gunning for the HR record.  Folks acquired balls from those games and tested them.

Oh, “folks”, okay. Can’t get more reliable than that! Though I can definitely see MLB doing that for St. Judge. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How about 538?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/juiced-baseballs/

Other links are within that link.

Just a nit as the links included do show that baseballs are being studied.  But all of these links predate the record season of Babe Ruth, I mean Aaron Judge and therefore make no such claim that he was fed "special" baseballs during his record setting season.

Here is a link that makes a direct claim that MLB puts it's finger on the scale....

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2022/12/7/23498096/mlb-different-baseballs-2022-juiced-yankees-aaron-judge

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How about 538?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/juiced-baseballs/

Other links are within that link.

I didn’t see anything about Judge in that article. Even searched his name on the page and came up with nothing. 

If you want to claim the ball is juiced/not juiced by season, I won’t argue with that. But it sounded like you were saying they were giving Judge, and only Judge, juiced balls. 

However, even the best league-wide offensive seasons the past decade plus don’t compare to the ‘90s/early ‘00s. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Every draft is only going to have one "best player" at the end of the day. From 2019, we may end up having that one guy on our roster when its all said and done in Gunnar Henderson. Is it fun to say "what if" and look at Witt and how amazing he is sometimes? Sure. But as long as Adley is a productive every day catcher for this organization it was a good pick. There are first picks who have been far worse. Witt looks generational for sure, and Adley may only be a good player at a premium position, but you can do this about just about every pick in every draft.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I remember being told not that long ago that i was crazy for wanting Witt over Adley. 

You may be crazy, but on this you are right. Glad we don't have Witt at SS and Gunnar at 3B. That would not be fun to watch.

It’s not even close who the better player is. Witt is going to be getting MVP votes for 10 years and Rutschman is Weiters 2.0. Adley has been a huge disappointment in my eyes. He was supposed to be the guy. Hes far From that.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I remember being told not that long ago that i was crazy for wanting Witt over Adley. 

If folks recall and correct me if I'm wrong I believe Witt was the consensus perceived #1 pick going into that season and Adley just exploded that season. Man wouldn't Witt look mighty good in orange and black right now sigh. 

4 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

It’s not even close who the better player is. Witt is going to be getting MVP votes for 10 years and Rutschman is Weiters 2.0. Adley has been a huge disappointment in my eyes. He was supposed to be the guy. Hes far From that.

While I more or less share this sentiment, Adley has a 12.4 WAR in his first 1665 PAs...Wieters had 9.2 in his first 1438 and 13.3 in his first 2031. Adley is the superior player so far, let's see how he evolves. 

• Upvote 1