Signature Moments

Filmstudy

I really loved the whole 2012 season (this current team gives me those vibes), but the Wild Card Game, the 1st Wild Card Game ever, was awesome. Joe Saunders out duels Yu Darvis, Nate McClouth with a big hit, Matusz K'ing Hamilton. That whole year was nuts

Dave Johnson's emergency  start in 1989 ("why not" year), game 161 against the Blue Jay's. Threw 7 innings and left with O`s up 3 to 1. If I remember,  Greg Olson came in and blew the game, eliminating the O`s from winning the AL east.

1 hour ago, Chelsea_Phil said:

1971 and 1979 have been erased from my memory banks, for obvious reasons.

Those were the years that the WS was canceled, IIRC. Also 1969 wasn't played -- I think that one had something to do with events at Woodstock a couple of months earlier.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whammer said:

Dave Johnson's emergency  start in 1989 ("why not" year), game 161 against the Blue Jay's. Threw 7 innings and left with O`s up 3 to 1. If I remember,  Greg Olson came in and blew the game, eliminating the O`s from winning the AL east.

I think Mark Williamson blew the save

So many things, but a few that I saw in person:

Earl Weaver getting mad at the ump, going into the dugout and returning with his rule book, and tearing out the pages right in front of the ump.

The grounds crew dumping the water from the tarp onto the field, making the field unplayable so that a Yankee comeback in the top of the inning was erased and the Orioles won by the score reverting back to the previous inning.  

Mark Belanger hitting a walk-off homer that barely cleared the LF wall and hit the foul pole.  

The ‘83 O’s coming back from a 7-0 deficit and beating the Brewers in extra innings on a John Stefero walk-off hit.  

The post-game ceremony at Memorial Stadium after the final game there.  

Devo’s catch in a 1-0 win against the Blue Jays.

Cal 2131.

“don’t throw it away — don’t throw it at all!”

Beating the Yankees on a Hangout Night the time Roy Firestone came, on a 9th inning bases loaded walk, I think.  

Edited by Frobby

16 minutes ago, Whammer said:

You're mixing up the Friday night and Saturday games in Toronto. The Orioles were ahead in both and lost both. On Friday, Jeff Ballard left with a 1-0 lead. Olson blew the save, and the Jays won in 11 innings, 2-1. I was there, and got to see some of Toronto while walking around aimlessly after the game. Pete Harnisch was supposed to start on Saturday, but stepped on a nail after Friday's game, leading to Johnson's start. The Orioles led 3-1 after seven, but Williamson blew the save, and the Orioles lost, 4-3. And that was that. IMO, those games don't belong on this list any more than Zack Britton's night of rest in Toronto 27 years later. 

How about

1. Thanks Brooks Day in September 1977

2. Frank's HR off Don Drysdale to put the Orioles ahead to stay in game 4 of the 1966 World Series

3. Eddie's two homers against the Phillies in game 5 of the 1983 World Series

4. Dave Criscione's walk-off homer against the Brewers in 1977

5. Hardy's slide and Cruz's somersault, while the stands swayed like a ride at Great Adventure

5. Sweeping the first three games of the season-ending series against Milwaukee in 1982, going from three games back to a tie with the Brewers with one game left

The Manny fake throw game was also the same game Mclouth walked it off and Chris Davis put him on his shoulders. 

That game the Cal Ripken Statue game and Chris Davis pitching game were some of the best games that season. 

In 2014 they played the Cardinals for 30th anniversary of the world series I think, and they hit a ton of homeruns. 

Sep- October 1982. Fall of my senior year in HS - height of teenage fandom. Ripken’s rookie season.  Weaver who had decided Ripken should play SS was in his last season having announced he was retiring. No wildcard.  Os trailed Brewers by 3 games for an end of the season 4 game series at Memorial Stadium.  Just a few days earlier in Milwaukee the Os took 2 of 3 in a series that featured recently called up rookie John Shelby’s throw from CF that nailed Bob Skube at the home.  Os won the first of the 3 games including a DH sweep.  Sunday Palmer was pitching and a win meant an AL East title. 100% the Os would win - of course they lost 10-2. Next year’s team which included Cal’s MVP run won the WS.

Edited by Pat Kelly