Jorge Lopez traded to Twins for pitching prospects (edit)

interloper

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The past can't be changed, but to say that trading Lopez away didn't effect bullpen strategy, roles, and usage, would just be untrue.  Khriebiel, and Reed, were in some higher than ideal leverage situations last Aug/Sept.  

Bullpen roles matter.  We all saw that when Brach had to be the "closer" that year, and Donnie Hart was asked to do more than be a LOOGY.  Domino effect.  

Arguably, promoting Bautista to closer won us a bunch of ballgames that Jorge might have blown. We just don't know and shouldn't assume anything either way. 

If you want to be extremely charitable, you could assume Jorge would have maintained his level of production before being traded. He had 1.9 WAR at the time for us, so lets say he puts up another 1.0 WAR the rest of the way. We finished 3 games out, but lost tiebreakers to SEA and TB, so really needed to make up 4 games. (Krehbiel gave up a run in a win vs TB and had a shutout inning in a loss vs TB, so he did not cost us the tiebreaker; we didn't play SEA after the trade). Even if you assume slight negative WAR for Krehbiel I don't think you're going to get to 4 wins.  

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not so funny when we probably missed the playoffs because we relied more heavily on Krhiebel and Baker.  Then we tried filling the empty spot in the pen with Jake Reed.  Real funny.  

Highly doubtful that trading Lopez caused us to miss the playoffs.  

• Upvote 2

lts funny to me that Elias trades us a reliever that nets us a reliever that appears to be at least equally as good (the sample size frankly isn't THAT much smaller than Lopez' own as a late inning guy), a pitching prospect that has turned a few heads in AA so far this year, AND two lottery tickets, and STILL can get lambasted by some posters on here, almost a year later.

Some people just won't be happy, ever.  They just won't. 

If that trade was for Cano straight up, at this point it would STILL look like a good trade - though roasting it last summer would have been much more appropriate.  But it was for him and three other guys.  Its called building and contending simultaneously.  I trust Elias can do that, and there's starting to be evidence to support that.  Do I agree with every ounce of roster management?  No of course not - burying Westburg and Cowser so far, the third catcher thing, etc. But is there anyone else around baseball who can do an overall better job for the Os?  Probably not.

I'm happy we have Elias, and I'm happy he had the balls to make this trade and the Mancini trade.

51 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Man, can you imagine the OH still talking about the Glenn Davis trade a year later?  What would this place be like if we were around for the Eddie Murray trade?

I was thinking the Milt Pappas trade.  "You gave up a 26 year young SP, a still young reliever AND an outfield prospect for a 30 year old has been!!!!" I am sure some would say...."Sure Frank Robinson helped us win a couple of WS, and yes flags fly forever....but we could have been a dynasty!!!!" 

7 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I was thinking the Milt Pappas trade.  "You gave up a 26 year young SP, a still young reliever AND an outfield prospect for a 30 year old has been!!!!" I am sure some would say...."Sure Frank Robinson helped us win a couple of WS, and yes flags fly forever....but we could have been a dynasty!!!!" 

Yeah, Milt Pappas.  I was just going back to trades that were made that I remember.  Have a faint memory of running Eddie Murray out of town and vivid memories of how bad Glenn Davis was while the trio we parted with went on to great careers.

I've just always felt that the 1990s look way different if Eddie's here and the Davis trade didn't happen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

“Mr. 99 mph sinker” AKA Jorge Lopez came in with a 9-4 lead to start the 9th, retired none of the 4 hitters he faced and was taken out.

He now has a 3.68 ERA and seems to be in the kind of funk where he will not get as many high leverage spots.  Today certainly wasn’t one.

Last 15 games.  13 innings. 6.08 ERA, 1.73 WHIP, 7 walks, 11 strikeouts.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In 50 total appearances for the Twins, these are Jorge’s cumulative stats.

46.2 IP

45 hits

24 walks

8 HBP

7 home runs 

39 strikeouts 

There still could have been to know exactly when he would regress and trade him at peak value to fleece the Twins even more than we did /s

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

In 50 total appearances for the Twins, these are Jorge’s cumulative stats.

46.2 IP

45 hits

24 walks

8 HBP

7 home runs 

39 strikeouts 

1.31 ERA in his first 21 appearances this year, 24.30 over the last 6.   Ah, the life of a reliever!   Jorge is a class act and I hope he regains his footing.   

• Upvote 3