Orioles get Brett Phillips

RVAOsFan

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Phillips. He’s pretty much David Lough. We just already have Mullins. Phillips is probably a better MLB piece than Vavra. It’s debatable at least. 

It's hard for me to harmonize those first two sentences. David Lough was one of my bigger misses. A friend who's a Pirate fan told me what an exciting offensive player and defensive whiz he was, and I was not shy about repeating that he'd be a real plus.  

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

It's hard for me to harmonize those first two sentences. David Lough was one of my bigger misses. A friend who's a Pirate fan told me what an exciting offensive player and defensive whiz he was, and I was not shy about repeating that he'd be a real plus.  

David Lough never played for the Pirates. He came from the Royals. 

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

If some team with a really solid offense but a hole in CF had just stuck Lough there for 500 PAs he'd have been a good 2-win player, maybe better.  I'd love to have OAA numbers for him because he was a +13 fielder by DRS per 162 games, and that was playing sporadically and splitting time at all the OF positions.  He might have been a Kiermaier-level defender if someone had just gotten over his mediocre hitting.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If some team with a really solid offense but a hole in CF had just stuck Lough there for 500 PAs he'd have been a good 2-win player, maybe better.  I'd love to have OAA numbers for him because he was a +13 fielder by DRS per 162 games, and that was playing sporadically and splitting time at all the OF positions.  He might have been a Kiermaier-level defender if someone had just gotten over his mediocre hitting.

The Mateo of Centerfield, if you will

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

He was a real plus in 2014.   Not a good offensive player but an excellent defender.   We had Cruz in the outfield most games so we needed a good defensive replacement and Lough filled the bill nicely.  In 2015 we didn’t have Cruz or Markakis and Lough was not the answer to that.  

What drove me crazy about Lough was his approach at the plate.  He was lightning fast but was forever hitting lazy fly balls to medium depth OF.  He should have been going for grounders and low line drives.   

11 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Phillips would have been better off in a different era. He was perfect for the 80’s when teams didn’t carry so many pitchers. Teams could still carry him now as their last bench player.  Just depends on the fit.  

If you're only going to carry 8-9 pitchers like it was 1980, that makes a 25-man roster the equivalent of a nearly 30-man roster today. I'm sure many of you know this, but teams had so much space the A's carried an Olympic sprinter (Herb Washington) who couldn't even play baseball for two years just to pinch run.  In today's terms those teams were in September roster expansion and then some the whole year.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What drove me crazy about Lough was his approach at the plate.  He was lightning fast but was forever hitting lazy fly balls to medium depth OF.  He should have been going for grounders and low line drives.  

Are you sure he was trying to do that?  I think he'd have been more than happy to be Ichiro!, if only he had those skills.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

• 1 year later...