Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?

interloper

Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?  

139 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the O's will call up Henderson this season?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/22 at 17:26

Before the comments ME made on the Texas trip, I didn't believe Henderson would be called up this year. But I'm more than a little shocked at the definite public statements. That leads me to believe there's a good chance he is called up this year solely to help in his development and recognizing he's going to be up very early next year, if not opening day.

But I don't think the decision would be based on chasing a wild card this year. 

Sounds like I'm in the minority, but I say yes. When I look at his progression last year, he played:

A - 35 games (promoted to A+ around 6/20)

A+ - 65 games (promoted to AA around 9/13)

AA - 5 games 

This year, he's played:

AA - 47 games (promoted to AAA around 6/6)

AAA - 43 games

I could see a similar progression where he plays ~20 more games in AAA and gets a callup around 9/1. Gives him a month in the majors, rewards him for a good year, and gets him a head start on 2023 (like they did for him in AA last year).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

I'm saying no, but more because of the 40 man issue, and that I don't think Elias is planning to push for the playoffs this year. I think he's on the OD roster next year, so the service time issue is moot (as long as they wait until after mid-august). That said, if the club is still in the thick of it on Sept 1, I wouldn't be totally surprised if it happened. 

I also think Henderson probably wouldn't make as much of a difference to this years team as some of you probably hope. Counting on a prospect offensively off the bat tends to lead to disappointment, and Urias is playing a good def 3b (and I'm not sure how good he'll be at 2b)

Machado made quite a difference in 2012. I think subbing Henderson into the lineup for Odor would make a big difference

• Upvote 1

If this team is in the hunt still in a few weeks, the. Elias will view it as this team is in the hunt. Not Gunnar. I say 99% no. 

I do see us solving the Odor issue by benching Odor mostly, mostly playing Vavra at 2B, then calling up Stowers to be a mostly everyday OF. 

That solves both problems and Stowers probably would out OPS Gunnar the rest of the season anyway. Again, but…

I voted No.  It looks like we are at the point of having a 40 man roster crunch and I think they are going to try and preserve as many assets as possible.  With that said, if we keep winning and have a realistic shot at the playoffs they have to take into consideration the additional playoff revenue generated, additional 2023 ticket sales revenue, team branding as a playoff team, and benefits of selling that playoff team to future Free Agents.   

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Simple question.

In a couple weeks, if the O's are still hunting a wild card spot Elias could feel obligated to give the team some kind of reinforcement. After all, playoff push = more fans = more money. The most obvious positional need is 3B. 

However, I could also see him sticking firmly to his promotion timeline regardless of the wild card hunt. 

I voted no based on the headline. 

But your comment frames it as still in the wild card hunt.  If they are still in the hunt on 8/31 (I think that's the playoff roster cutoff) then I vote yes.

I voted no. Elias has no intention of making any kind of decision based on whether or not the Orioles get a wild card. If they do, he’ll cheer them on but nothing he has done leads me to believe he wants to push for it. Hyde or Elias or whoever influences the lineup every day obviously has a thing for Odor and Henderson would push Urias to 2B, meaning Odor is on the bench. I can’t tell you why this is a thing, but it’s very clear they want Odor in the lineup. 

I voted no before I read Frobby’s post about the 40 man roster manipulation during the off-season and that cemented my suspicions that Henderson stays at AAA. I don’t necessarily think that means he won’t be on the OD roster, as ST will likely be what decides that but I think it’s valuable for Elias to have some open 40 man spots for waiver claims and protecting guys that need to added.

I voted yes while knowing that it's probably wrong.  If we are still in a race at the end of August, I could see Gunnar being added to the 40 man and the active roster.  Otherwise not.  They could always keep him in AAA at the start of the '23 season after that if they want to manipulate his service time, although that would be a pretty contentious move.

It is so interesting that 99 percent of the decision is not because he isn’t ready or that he is not better than what we currently have but instead it is the byzantine and inherently dumb rules of promotion, arbitration, roster size etc 

which is really what draws in the majority of fans… how well Elias can manage a slick delay off the 40 man to keep this clock from starting or ticking or something  

Call it wishful thinking but I think we'll see him by Sep 1.

• I'm not convinced Elias is going to play the service time game the same way now that contention is nearer. 
  • I think Elias sees '23 as a contending season and will want Grayson & Gunnar on the OD roster. 
  • The 40 man roster crunch is real, but not severe enough to overrule other decision criteria IMO. 
  • I think there's a decent chance we're still around .500 in late August. 
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Call it wishful thinking but I think we'll see him by Sep 1.

• I'm not convinced Elias is going to play the service time game the same way now that contention is nearer. 
  • I think Elias sees '23 as a contending season and will want Grayson & Gunnar on the OD roster. 
  • The 40 man roster crunch is real, but not severe enough to overrule other decision criteria IMO. 
  • I think there's a decent chance we're still around .500 in late August. 

This is basically my exact take on everything. Hope it happens man... would be super exciting.