Jackson Holliday 2022

Tony-OH

His SS/2B defensive innings ratios have been 46/8 in the FCL and 64/26 at Delmarva so far.

I guess by next year we'll get a view of if the shift is outlawed, which might have consequences for infielders roving around.

My bet would be Delmarva again next April, but hopeful he opens strong enough to make even 2022 Darell Hernaiz's "I'm too good to repeat this league" month look not as great.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

"But at the same stage of their careers, Jackson Holliday is better than Gunnar Henderson. So, if that continues, think how exciting that would be. Gunnar didn’t really manage the strike zone like that until this year."

"I think I mentioned to you on draft day, Jackson Holliday, all five tools got better this spring. That does not happen very often. It would not shock me if he was in the big leagues in 2024. Like I think he could just tear up the minors this year and get there in 2024.”

Wow! That is rather amazing to hear. Can't wait to hear what Tony says about him. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The middle infield talent on this team is preposterous.  

I assume that even though Holliday got his feet wet at Delmarva last year, he’ll start there again this year.   But I don’t think he’ll stay there long if he performs as expected.  

He seems like the type of HS draftee that you could skip levels with.

I know this is one man's opinion (Callis), but if he's right and the front office feels similarly about him having a short timeline to the Majors, I think that certainly opens the door to moving someone (or a couple someones) from the group of Westburg, Ortiz, Norby, Vavra, and even Mayo (and definitely Mateo and Urias). It also probably minimizes the already slim possibility of going after a Correa or one of the other FA SS options. 

Given the plethora of infield options and if the team does feel Holliday could be ready by mid-year 2024, that would leave just one infield (two if you count 1B) open in a year and a half and while depth is always great, we are probably at a point where that depth would be best used in a deal to improve elsewhere on the team (namely pitching). 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He seems like the type of HS draftee that you could skip levels with.

He does.   With the talent in the upper minors, the O’s can afford to be patient, though.  By “patient,” I’m envisioning a year like Gunnar in 2021 where he finishes at Bowie.  But, he might get a little more time at Bowie than Gunnar did that year, if he adjusts to HiA faster than Gunnar.   

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m good with him starting in Aberdeen. He certainly may get 100-200 at bats in Delmarva but I don’t see that it’s really needed.

I’m good either way. It might depend on what the want to do with Carter Young, and whether the O’s want them both playing SS every day, as opposed to doing the Henderson/Westburg shuttle.  

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m good either way. It might depend on what the want to do with Carter Young, and whether the O’s want them both playing SS every day, as opposed to doing the Henderson/Westburg shuttle.  

Right. And Bencosme who is the least likely to stay at SS.    My guess.  Aberdeen. Wagner at 3B exclusively.   Bencosme and Young sharing 2B/SS.   You could certainly make a case for Holliday starting in Aberdeen next year though.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Right. And Bencosme who is the least likely to stay at SS.    My guess.  Aberdeen. Wagner at 3B exclusively.   Bencosme and Young sharing 2B/SS.   You could certainly make a case for Holliday starting in Aberdeen next year though.

I heard a podcast recently where the PBP announcer for Delmarva was pretty adamant that Bencosme will never be a major league quality SS.  I don’t think he’ll stand in the way of either Holliday or Young.  

Just now, Hank Scorpio said:

It's so satisfying to see such a deep minor league system... something a lot of us have pined for since I joined this site back in 2004 or 2005 or whenever it was. 

Yes.  We briefly had a decent system in 2008.  Then we graduated 9 players to the majors the next year and there was very little talent below that upper level.   This is a way deeper system, and hopefully can stay that way.