Jackson Holliday 2022

Tony-OH

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am beginning to think of Jackson as the O's next CFer after Mullins.   He runs like the wind and has a strong arm.  The O's have other SSs like Mateo, Gunnar  and Ortiz.  But I don't know if there is a CFer in the O's system that has the range and offensive ability of Mullins.  Jackson may fit there in a few years.

The Os didn’t draft him to play CF.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I mean, plans can change, no doubt.

However, if they wanted and valued a CFer, they would have taken Jones.

They have said several times that Holliday is a SS.  

Cowser, Fabian, Beavers are all long term possibilities for CF.  Fabian is reportedly the best defensively.

Short term replacements could be McKenna and Phillips but those are two HUGE gambles.   I have noticed that Phillips had 10 walks and 8 K's and a .956 OPS at Norfolk so far.   Maybe they think they can fix him.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Cowser, Fabian, Beavers are all long term possibilities for CF.  Fabian is reportedly the best defensively.

Short term replacements could be McKenna and Phillips but those are two HUGE gambles.   I have noticed that Phillips had 10 walks and 8 K's and a .956 OPS at Norfolk so far.   Maybe they think they can fix him.

I’m ok with going into next season with a Phillips/McKenna platoon in CF if it means dealing Mullins for a nice haul.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m ok with going into next season with a Phillips/McKenna platoon in CF if it means dealing Mullins for a nice haul.

I'm sure you are but that has the potential for getting pretty ugly, offensively.  I am intrigued by Phillips though.   

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm sure you are but that has the potential for getting pretty ugly, offensively.  I am intrigued by Phillips though.   

Yes it does but not likely much uglier than what we have at second and SS this year.  

And it’s not necessarily permanent for the whole season.  Just what we can go with to start.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I think this season has shown that we can improve the offense in about 5 spots. You could debate more or less than that, but the "stars" on this team, after Gunnar and Adley, aren't really offensive stars. They're just the guys we have. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

We can't afford to do that.  We're already two bats short.  

I agree which is why I said that would be a huge gamble.   If McKenna/Phillips could somehow match Mullins offense this year, that's one thing but the odds seem way against that.    Making a trade that fills one hole and creates another makes little sense.   The real depth this team has right now is on the infield.  Mateo, Urias, Ortiz, and Westburg are redundant.   You have to decide which players are the best bets moving forward and deal one or two of the others.   Henderson is a no-brainer for SS or 3B.  That leaves 2 spots and 4 players, with Norby and Hernaiz not far behind and not even mentioning Vavra.

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We can't afford to do that.  We're already two bats short.  

Well that’s why you do other things.

There’s also the question of do you want to pay Mullins long term?  He’s rapidly approaching getting expensive.  He’s worth the money for now but how much longer does that last?  

He is an asset for sure.  The question is how to best use that asset for the long term.  I think trading him for something we don’t have..very good cost controlled starting pitching is the best way to use that asset.