Saturday, August 13: DL Hall Makes his Debut vs Shane-o-mac

justD

Just now, Gurgi said:

It was a real unimpressive showing.  Except for the second inning and the three straight strikeouts.  He was rather shockingly wild.  Ball going all over the place.  Big leaguers will figure you out and not swing at your garbage.  

There was nothing shocking about it if you've been paying the least bit of attention.

Also he had the second string catcher going and the defense gave him no help.

The end result could have been a lot better.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Just now, Gurgi said:

It was a real unimpressive showing.  Except for the second inning and the three straight strikeouts.  He was rather shockingly wild.  Ball going all over the place.  Big leaguers will figure you out and not swing at your garbage.  

I think being all over the place was a criticism this year in the minors. They called on him to be more consistent and he wasn’t in the last few starts but they called him up anyway. #DumbdecisionElias

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

There was nothing shocking about it if you've been paying the least bit of attention.

Also he had the second string catcher going and the defense gave him no help.

The end result could have been a lot better.

So why is everybody acting like it's just no big deal that he started today and the completely expected bad outing and likely team loss is no big deal. Like we as fans should just eat that in the playoff hunt.

It's interesting seeing the back and forth comments throughout the game.  After the 2nd inning people were practically enshrining him in the HOF, now suddenly he's not a MLB caliber pitcher.

Hall clearly has elite stuff, but also clearly needs refinement.  I think the best thing for his development is to stay on the big league roster and have the opportunity to work directly with Chris Holt...who has an incredible track record of improving command and consistency (Lopez, Bautista, Voth, Cionel are prime examples)

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Oriole1940 said:

It did surprize me than he had to make his ML debut on the road, in the Trop, rather than at home.  Very curious to rush his start in a low possible win situation.  Very unusual.

This is the part I don't get. It's like Hall was part of this throwaway effort today that included Adley not catching, a lineup with McKenna/Chirinos and no Vavra/Mullins, a day/road game, and an all star starting pitcher and good lineup on the other side. Set a guy up for success more than that.

1 minute ago, winning said:

So why is everybody acting like it's just no big deal that he started today and the completely expected bad outing and likely team loss is no big deal. Like we as fans should just eat that in the playoff hunt.

You must not have been a fan of this team long 

1 minute ago, winning said:

It’s entirely possible they wanted to give Watkins a mini break and we’re planning on bringing up Hall to be a pen arm anyway. 

I have to say this board is absolutely miserable to watch a game with when we are losing. Based on this thread our defense is terrible, Hall is a reliever at best (but at least he’s OFF THE MOUND now), and Elias screwed up by bringing up Hall in the first place. 

if we lose this game, we are a half game out of the WC. It’s far from the end of the world. 

Anyway. Enjoy the rest of the game, everyone who isn’t an irrational whining baby. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

It did surprise me than he had to make his ML debut on the road, in the Trop, rather than at home.  Very curious to rush his start in a low possible win situation.  Very unusual.

From @yark14:

I think the best thing for his development is to stay on the big league roster and have the opportunity to work directly with Chris Holt...who has an incredible track record of improving command and consistency (Lopez, Bautista, Voth, Cionel are prime examples)

This is what I was thinking too. 

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

I have to say this board is absolutely miserable to watch a game with when we are losing. Based on this thread our defense is terrible, Hall is a reliever at best (but at least he’s OFF THE MOUND now), and Elias screwed up by bringing up Hall in the first place. 

if we lose this game, we are a half game out of the WC. It’s far from the end of the world. 

Anyway. Enjoy the rest of the game, everyone who isn’t an irrational whining baby. 

You spelled winning wrong 😉

• Haha 1