Saturday, August 13: DL Hall Makes his Debut vs Shane-o-mac

justD

3 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

While I agree in general.. pitching the kid today tells me very little about hom for 2023 .. or even for the rest of 2022 except he still has some road bumps to straighten out if he is going to be a ML starter.  

And the “plan” while driving most everything and one I strongly agree with.. it occasionally can and must be tweaked to give way to the 49 games of this season yet to be played.   And that it won’t harm one iota of any rebuild by doing that occasionally. 

Sure. I don't think they necessarily trotted him out today to see what he has as a big league starter at the expense of winning now. It feels reasonable to me that the O's think he has plateaued in the minors, but also that he isn't ready for MLB starts on a consistent basis (in addition to the innings cap). So in a game that they weren't putting their best out there for anyway for the purpose of sustaining success down the stretch, they let Hall wet the beak in a one-off start before moving him to the pen.

I personally would have rather they moved him straight to the pen or gave him a better shot to succeed in his one start.

4 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Sure. I don't think they necessarily trotted him out today to see what he has as a big league starter at the expense of winning now. It feels reasonable to me that the O's think he has plateaued in the minors, but also that he isn't ready for MLB starts on a consistent basis (in addition to the innings cap). So in a game that they weren't putting their best out there for anyway for the purpose of sustaining success down the stretch, they let Hall wet the beak in a one-off start before moving him to the pen.

I personally would have rather they moved him straight to the pen or gave him a better shot to succeed in his one start.

It would not have been my choice .. and I am not sure I even want him in the pen in 2022 except in mopup roles as he has never been a reliever. 
No I might have let DL come to spring training without a start this year.  He still has major flaws that will get in his way unless corrected.