DL Hall to be optioned to AAA and turned into a reliever for the rest of season?

Gurgi

4 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Another former player expressing confusing as to why Adley wouldn't have caught the game. And why they chose this particular game for Hall.

I'm sure others will think this is the big leagues and you have to roll with the punches, but I personally hope the guys who get called up over the course of the next few years are treated with a bit more consideration.

I don't get it either even if the plan was to send Hall down after the game no matter the results. The Orioles knew in advance Hall would pitch Saturday and could have let Chirinos catch Friday night.

Considering the Saturday game was a 4pm start let Adley catch Saturday and then rest on Sunday. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

I openly questioned why Adley wasn’t catching Hall, but let’s not make too big a deal of it.  Hall was all over the place on Saturday and it doesn’t matter who your catcher is when you’re missing the strike zone or your spot by 18 inches on a regular basis.   I’d like to think that Hall isn’t so mentally weak that the difference between throwing to a 15-year veteran vs. a young guy he knows is the difference between pitching poorly and pitching well.   He just wasn’t on his game, and hasn’t been over the last few weeks. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't get it either even if the plan was to send Hall down after the game no matter the results. The Orioles knew in advance Hall would pitch Saturday and could have let Chirinos catch Friday night.

Considering the Saturday game was a 4pm start let Adley catch Saturday and then rest on Sunday. 

Because you had a tough lefty LH starter and Adley is weaker from the right side while Chirinos is a RHB. It was a good game for Chirinos to start and he is a very capable backup catcher. In fact Chirinos got two base hits which is a huge win for him. I see the case for starting Adley but I don't think it's a terrible decision and I don't think any amount of framing rescues that horrible performance by Hall. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Because you had a tough lefty LH starter and Adley is weaker from the right side while Chirinos is a RHB. It was a good game for Chirinos to start and he is a very capable backup catcher. In fact Chirinos got two base hits which is a huge win for him. I see the case for starting Adley but I don't think it's a terrible decision and I don't think any amount of framing rescues that horrible performance by Hall. 

I don't think Hall should have started to begin with and I've been a supporter of bringing him up to be a bullpen arm which is now exactly what the organization is doing.

I’m not going to say we outright punted the game on Saturday, but it was a game we were big underdogs. Starting Hall allowed us to push back the rotation and get everyone an extra days rest. Also, we were able to DH Adley and not run him into the ground. 

It was a big game but they are all big games going forward. Hopefully, we will have a motivated Hall for our stretch run as a reliever. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not going to say we outright punted the game on Saturday, but it was a game we were big underdogs. Starting Hall allowed us to push back the rotation and get everyone an extra days rest. Also, we were able to DH Adley and not run him into the ground. 

It was a big game but they are all big games going forward. Hopefully, we will have a motivated Hall for our stretch run as a reliever. 

I'm fine with accepting a lower chance to win in one game to increase the chances in a multitude of games to follow.

I'm just not a big fan of taking a rookie pitcher making his debut and not putting him into the best possible situation.  I don't understand while Adley couldn't have caught Hall and been the DH or sat the following game.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with accepting a lower chance to win in one game to increase the chances in a multitude of games to follow.

I'm just not a big fan of taking a rookie pitcher making his debut and not putting him into the best possible situation.  I don't understand while Adley couldn't have caught Hall and been the DH or sat the following game.

Agreed …it was just a bad decision where I think they were hoping for the best. I don’t see how he’s going to be an asset at call up time. I think they should work on his control/mechanics  and get him ready for next season.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe we were trying to catch lightning in a bottle, set up the rotation for the Toronto series, give the starters an extra days rest, rest AR as DH…. 

My best guess is we were big dogs, and with game one in hand, we “experimented”. I think it was one of the first bold moves we’ve seen Elias take at the MLB level to try and “win”. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe we were trying to catch lightning in a bottle, set up the rotation for the Toronto series, give the starters an extra days rest, rest AR as DH…. 

My best guess is we were big dogs, and with game one in hand, we “experimented”. I think it was one of the first bold moves we’ve seen Elias take at the MLB level to try and “win”. 

But, the cost was huge in regards to the season matchup with Rays. And there was reason to believe the final game would be tough as that pitcher was nasty in his previous start as well. Even with Lyles starting.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

But, the cost was huge in regards to the season matchup with Rays. And there was reason to believe the final game would be tough as that pitcher was nasty in his previous start as well. Even with Lyles starting.

It's still one of 162.

One of almost 20 with the Rays.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's still one of 162.

One of almost 20 with the Rays.

Yes but an important one where the SP matchup could’ve favored us rather than the Rays. Obviously it’s not a big deal unless we tie the Rays. It just was a stupid time for an experiment with such a low probability of success. 

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes but an important one where the SP matchup could’ve favored us rather than the Rays. Obviously it’s not a big deal unless we tie the Rays. It just was a stupid time for an experiment with such a low probability of success. 

There’s just so much that we don’t know. I’m not saying I don’t agree with your point of view, just pointing out there could be other reasons. Just like is Hays banged up but fighting through it?  Maybe one of the SP had a injury concern and we needed to buy ourselves a day?  

Now it’s time to see what comes from this Hall move. How many AAA appearances will he need?  What will he look like as a reliever?  Somewhere between Perez and Vespi/Akin is what we need. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s just so much that we don’t know. I’m not saying I don’t agree with your point of view, just pointing out there could be other reasons. Just like is Hays banged up but fighting through it?  Maybe one of the SP had a injury concern and we needed to buy ourselves a day?  

Now it’s time to see what comes from this Hall move. How many AAA appearances will he need?  What will he look like as a reliever?  Somewhere between Perez and Vespi/Akin is what we need. 

Possible but unlikely as Watkins also pitched in mop up instead of starting. They should’ve done the start at home and against a starter that we’d expect to get plenty of runs off of. I know there may be something else. But, I’ll stand by my position that his minor league numbers where saying he’s not ready in regards to innings (has trouble completing 5),walks (8 in his two previous games), and too many runs