Pathetic.

Moose Milligan

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Partially, but that’s not all I wrote. But if you’re cool with Vavra on the bench that’s fine. 

I’m not the lineup lately reminds me of little league where everyone has to play. Lineups with Phillip, Nevin, Odor (most days), and Chrinos is doomed.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I’m not the lineup lately reminds me of little league where everyone has to play. Lineups with Phillip, Nevin, Odor (most days), and Chrinos is doomed.

It's not good.  And I think you can hide those guys a little bit when Hays and Mountcastle are swinging well, but that's the problem, both of them have been pretty terrible for awhile now.  

36 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

This is what is frustrating.  After all this losing we actually seem to have a shot at the wildcard and Elias is making us play with our hands tied behind our backs.  Say what you will about Duquette and his bad trades and not doing anything to make our minor leagues any better you have to admit if he ran this club they would bring up any prospects that look likely to upgrade our present talent.   You dont have to look further than bringing up a 19 year old Machado to play third.   Duquette would not force us to play with Phillips and Odor and Nevin.   If he thought they might of improved us they would be here.

That is behind all the angst now.   We as fans can see how a couple of moves might make us more competitive but Elias just wont make them.    And if he waits till rosters expand our little window this season might be closed by then.   

In some ways Duquette had it easy, becuase outside of Machado he was never faced with decisions like with Hall and Gunnar and Cowser. Because there were no impact prospects ready to go in the minors.  He did call up Gausman after 35 innings in Norfolk, who pitched badly and had to be returned to AAA the following season.

But remember the constant (and pretty legitimate) criticisms of Duquette - he always operated like he wouldn't be here in a few years. A lot of his decisions were win now at the expense of the future.  Trading prospects for modest MLB upgrades, calling up guys like Gausman and Schoop and Machado with limited success in the high minors, treating allocation money and comp picks like the $5 your aunt gave you for your birthday that you blew on Twizzlers and Big League Chew.  Elias is nearly 180 out on all of this, doing what much of the board wanted throughout last decade.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

In some ways Duquette had it easy, becuase outside of Machado he was never faced with decisions like with Hall and Gunnar and Cowser. Because there were no impact prospects ready to go in the minors.  He did call up Gausman after 35 innings in Norfolk, who pitched badly and had to be returned to AAA the following season.

But remember the constant (and pretty legitimate) criticisms of Duquette - he always operated like he wouldn't be here in a few years. A lot of his decisions were win now at the expense of the future.  Trading prospects for modest MLB upgrades, calling up guys like Gausman and Schoop and Machado with limited success in the high minors, treating allocation money and comp picks like the $5 your aunt gave you for your birthday that you blew on Twizzlers and Big League Chew.  Elias is nearly 180 out on all of this, doing what much of the board wanted throughout last decade.

I think Buck had a lot more to do with those decisions than Duq did.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Buck had a lot more to do with those decisions than Duq did.

Whichever it was, the end result is the same.  And Elias has Costanza'd the process, so @hoosiers, @Can_of_corn etc should be thrilled.  It's all about stockpiling value for the future and building a sustainable pipeline. A fleeting, quixotic attempt at a wildcard isn't going to change that.

Edited by DrungoHazewood
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The question is, was a 180 in order or a 150?

You can go too far in another direction.

I find it odd that at the same time he's declaring this team a playoff contender he's done essentially nothing to strengthen its chances for success this season.

Edit- Dan also called up Bundy to pitch a couple times in relief.

Edited by Can_of_corn

19 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Whichever it was, the end result is the same.  And Elias has Costanza'd the process, so @hoosiers, @Can_of_corn etc should be thrilled.  It's all about stockpiling value for the future and building a sustainable pipeline. A fleeting, quixotic attempt at a wildcard isn't going to change that.

Who is saying for them to stop stockpiling for the future.  People are asking that they bring up players they already have.

edit:  I guess you could be referring to those who didn’t want to see Trey or Lopez dealt w/r/t the above post.

Edited by Sports Guy

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's not good.  And I think you can hide those guys a little bit when Hays and Mountcastle are swinging well, but that's the problem, both of them have been pretty terrible for awhile now.  

Yes …. My lineup most days would be this

Mullins

Vavra

Rutschman

Santander

Mateo

Mountcastle

Hays

Urias

Odor

28 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Edit- Dan also called up Bundy to pitch a couple times in relief.

Two appearances in 2012, one with a leverage index of 0.79, the other 0.13. Two appearances totaling 1 2/3rds innings in games they were losing.  Would be like calling up Grayson in late September to face six batters.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Mullins

Vavra

Rutschman

Santander

Mateo

Mountcastle

Hays

Urias

Odor

I like it. Just might switch Mateo and Urias.  Mateo is on a hot streak and comfortable in the back of the lineup. I’m not making him my five hitter based on a hot month.

Hays and Mountcastle have been cold long enough that I agree with moving them down. 

Just now, ChuckS said:

I like it. Just might switch Mateo and Urias.  Mateo is on a hot streak and comfortable in the back of the lineup. I’m not making him my five hitter based on a hot month.

Hays and Mountcastle have been cold long enough that I agree with moving them down. 

I agree …if you believe he is on a hot streak. I feel that the Orioles believe Mateo has made an adjustment. Plus Urias is also hot and cold it seems, so you could move those two to elevate the hot hand. BTW, I think this lineup will get Adley more pitches to hit. As there is a higher likelihood that someone will be on base

8 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Mullins

Vavra

Rutschman

Santander

Mateo

Mountcastle

Hays

Urias

Odor

Not:

Mullins CF
Vavra/Westburg platoon 2B
Rutschman C
Santander DH
Henderson 3B
Mountcastle 1B
Stowers RF
Hays LF
Mateo SS

with one of the 2B and Urias as bats off the bench?