Dylan Beavers 2022

ShoelesJoe

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean I guess he could.  That’s why I said likely.

But the age difference is huge here and if Mayo goes back to AA (which he will) and doesn’t tear it up, that will be disappointing.

If he does and he gets to AAA by June or so and continues a big ascent, Beavers won’t be passing him.   

Realistically, Beavers passes Mayo because Mayo hasn’t taken the next step.

Beavers is 4 months older than Mayo.  Mayo starts next year at Bowie.  Beavers starts at Aberdeen.  I could see Mayo break out but Beavers still pass him.  Mayo has the edge in power but Beavers, theoretically could have the edge in speed, defense, and plate discipline.   If Beavers advances well I could see if ranked ahead of Mayo even if Mayo has the huge power breakout.   

2 hours ago, baltfan said:

Will be our #2 prospect by end of next year 

Assumes:

Henderson, Rodriguez, Hall, Cowser, Westburg and Stowers have graduated.

Holliday is #1

Means he's above...

Our 1st round pick next year
Mayo
Norby
Ortiz (who could also graduate)
Fabian
Povich
Basallo
Kjerstad
Hernaiz
Some other International guy like Estrada or Bencosme hitting the snot out of the ball throughout full season ball next year.

Definitely not out of the realm of possibility, but a lot of that "he's above" section could easily end up the #2 guy even with Beavers having a big year.

This is a fun org to have as our favorite right now. We've paid our dues though. We deserve this!

• Upvote 2

"Entering this summer’s MLB draft, Dylan Beavers’ swing was the only thing that kept a skillset that features impressive raw power, elite plate discipline and tremendous athleticism out of the first round — and he knew it."

This statement by Meoli, the comments by the Shorebird hitting coach on his swing adjustments and the opposition scout rating make me wonder if Beavers could be Gunnar 2.0??? Is he a 5 tool prospect?

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean I guess he could.  That’s why I said likely.

But the age difference is huge here and if Mayo goes back to AA (which he will) and doesn’t tear it up, that will be disappointing.

If he does and he gets to AAA by June or so and continues a big ascent, Beavers won’t be passing him.   

Realistically, Beavers passes Mayo because Mayo hasn’t taken the next step.

Not necessarily.   I could see scenarios where Mayo is considered a top 40-50 guy but Beavers is considered top 25.   That would require quite a season from Beavers.  I liked the quotes about him in the Meoli article but I’m not going to get too hyped up about him unless I see some other publications starting to tout him.   And of course, Tony’s careful postseason report. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Frobby said:

Not necessarily.   I could see scenarios where Mayo is considered a top 40-50 guy but Beavers is considered top 25.   That would require quite a season from Beavers.  I liked the quotes about him in the Meoli article but I’m not going to get too hyped up about him unless I see some other publications starting to tout him.   And of course, Tony’s careful postseason report. 

I think the scenarios exist. I just don't think its the likely outcome in this particular conversation.  Mayo already has the leg up as he is on or bordering on most top 100 lists.  Whether we think thats dumb or not, that does matter.

5 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

"Entering this summer’s MLB draft, Dylan Beavers’ swing was the only thing that kept a skillset that features impressive raw power, elite plate discipline and tremendous athleticism out of the first round — and he knew it."

This statement by Meoli, the comments by the Shorebird hitting coach on his swing adjustments and the opposition scout rating make me wonder if Beavers could be Gunnar 2.0??? Is he a 5 tool prospect?

I’m far from a professional hitting coach, but I was the game last night and his swing looks a little unorthodox. Not the setup, or the finish, but more so something with his hands/wrists mid bat path. Like a little hitch. Hard to explain. He’s been super successful so perhaps it doesn’t reduce the amount of time his bat is in the zone. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Master Guns said:

I’m far from a professional hitting coach, but I was the game last night and his swing looks a little unorthodox. Not the setup, or the finish, but more so something with his hands/wrists mid bat path. Like a little hitch. Hard to explain. He’s been super successful so perhaps it doesn’t reduce the amount of time his bat is in the zone. 

Sure. Instead of keeping his hands in position and dropping the bat head, he sometimes drops his hands and has a very low swing path which is not normal or at least not common.  I'm not sure if it's a bad thing though.

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Sure. Instead of keeping his hands in position and dropping the bat head, he sometimes drops his hands and has a very low swing path which is not normal or at least not common.  I'm not sure if it's a bad thing though.

Yeah didn’t intend for it to read as it should be fixed, rather more that it looks unusual. It’s obviously working 

13 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Assumes:

Henderson, Rodriguez, Hall, Cowser, Westburg and Stowers have graduated.

Holliday is #1

Means he's above...

Our 1st round pick next year
Mayo
Norby
Ortiz (who could also graduate)
Fabian
Povich
Basallo
Kjerstad
Hernaiz
Some other International guy like Estrada or Bencosme hitting the snot out of the ball throughout full season ball next year.

Definitely not out of the realm of possibility, but a lot of that "he's above" section could easily end up the #2 guy even with Beavers having a big year.

This is a fun org to have as our favorite right now. We've paid our dues though. We deserve this!

Stowers and Westburg wouldn’t be ahead regardless of if they graduated.  Cowser is the only one that I think might make him #3.  Holliday will be #1. GROD and Gunnar graduated.  I like beavers toolset and think he will make a rapid rise. 

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I think the scenarios exist. I just don't think its the likely outcome in this particular conversation.  Mayo already has the leg up as he is on or bordering on most top 100 lists.  Whether we think thats dumb or not, that does matter.

When I said it, I meant to convey how much I believe in Beavers and the skill set.  It wasn’t a knock on anyone else by any means.  Think more Gunnar type rising vs others not succeeding. 

• Upvote 1

Relative to "Gunnar type rising" for Beavers, when I look at Gunnar today the word that comes to mind is chiseled. When I look at Dylan I see lanky. If they can fix his hit tool and put some lean muscle on that frame I believe Gunnar type rising is possible. He seems to have all the other tools. Is the level of play at low A that much below what he saw at Cal? 

18 hours ago, Master Guns said:

Definitely a lot of wrist movement. Totally different swings, but Rafael Palmeiro comes to mind as a lefty hitter with an unusual amount of wrist in his swing. Was a great fit for Camden Yards. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Relative to "Gunnar type rising" for Beavers, when I look at Gunnar today the word that comes to mind is chiseled. When I look at Dylan I see lanky. If they can fix his hit tool and put some lean muscle on that frame I believe Gunnar type rising is possible. He seems to have all the other tools. Is the level of play at low A that much below what he saw at Cal? 

I would say on the whole, it's higher.    Looks at most college hitters.  Hodo is struggling.   Wagner is doing okay.    Most Division I college players don't even get drafted.   Is the Friday night starter better than your average Low A starter.   Probably.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I would say on the whole, it's higher.    Looks at most college hitters.  Hodo is struggling.   Wagner is doing okay.    Most Division I college players don't even get drafted.   Is the Friday night starter better than your average Low A starter.   Probably.

Good info to gauge against. Both Fabian and Beavers are hitting and not striking out (0.9 and 1.3 BB/K respectively) and are bracketed around Kjerstead for OPS. They were both reputed to have hit tool issues but not exposed so far. Fabian has 12 XBH in 44 AB which seems ridiculous, Beavers has 9 in 56 but no HRs yet after leading Cal. Wagner and Young are OK. I never paid much attention to Low A before but these 2 may bear watching along with Holiday. Fun times.