Kyle Stowers called up

RVAOsFan

26 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Who is a ML comp for Stowers?

My crude guess last year was a Ryan Braun type but maybe thats way too generous?

Braun won an MVP and has a career WAR over 40. Way too generous. Stowers isn't a top 100 prospect.

I might get flack for this, but I could see him having similar type of offensive numbers as Steve Pearce when he was in Baltimore. That's a fairly small sample size, but Pearce slashed .255/.337/.473 in 999 plate appearances with Baltimore. I think Stowers can put up those type of numbers.

Edited by dzorange

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Ehh... Scott struck out in 20.7% of PAs, and less than 20% in AAA.  Stowers was at 25.5% in AAA this year.  So, Luke Scott minus 20 points of BA?

He was also playing in AAA at ages 27 and 28...but yes maybe a slightly lower BA.  Scott had 17 points of BA on Stowers in the minors (again, while being very old for each level). 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

He was also playing in AAA at ages 27 and 28...but yes maybe a slightly lower BA.  Scott had 17 points of BA on Stowers in the minors (again, while being very old for each level). 

When you factor in the increase in strikeouts over time it's probably pretty close to what Scott did.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

When you factor in the increase in strikeouts over time it's probably pretty close to what Scott did.

You also need to factor in that the league hits 15 or 20 points less than it did in Scott's career.  Context-adjusted maybe they're the same, but Stowers is still likely to hit 20 points lower.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You also need to factor in that the league hits 15 or 20 points less than it did in Scott's career.  Context-adjusted maybe they're the same, but Stowers is still likely to hit 20 points lower.

Sure, not disputing that.  Was just saying that at the same point in time they would be more likely to have performed similarly. 

11 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

I am not comping him, but with how hard he swings at the ball sometimes reminds me of Thome.

Some guys step forward and push with the back foot and shift a lot of weight to their front foot when they swing.   Stowers leans back and puts most of his weight on his back foot.  They used to say, maybe they still do, he swings from his heels.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Some guys step forward and push with the back foot and shift a lot of weight to their front foot when they swing.   Stowers leans back and puts most of his weight on his back foot.  They used to say, maybe they still do, he swings from his heels.

He definitely does, yes. And I completely see similarities between his swing & Thome's. 

Thome was a bigger guy, but it's a similar move. 

• Upvote 1

I don't know if it's been said yet, but...

I find it insane, unfathomable, ridiculous that they would throw Kyle Stowers anything resembling a strike with an 0-2 count and 2 outs. The guy had JUST swung through a high fastball that was clearly a ball. Your next pitch is a backdoor slider? What on earth were they thinking? I'm throwing Kyle Stowers 3 absolutely garbage waste pitches in that spot. It's nearly guaranteed he will swing through one of them in a pressure spot like that, and if he doesn't good for him but... Just awful pitch calling. I'd have been so pissed as a Sox fan. I'm almost pissed for them! Such a cute pitch call, they deserve the L for it. 

Edited by interloper

Just now, interloper said:

I find it insane, unfathomable, ridiculous that they would throw Kyle Stowers anything resembling a strike with an 0-2 count and 2 outs. The guy had JUST swung through a high fastball that was clearly a ball. Your next pitch is a backdoor slider? What on earth were they thinking? I'm throwing Kyle Stowers 3 absolutely garbage waste pitches in that spot. It's nearly guaranteed he will swing through one of them. Just awful pitch calling. 

You're right but we also don't know what the location of that pitch was supposed to be.   Just because it was thigh high or waist high doesn't mean that's where he intended it to be.    I do agree that Stowers probably chases a high fastball or a low breaking pitch there.   The frustration was growing in Stowers.   You could see it on his face.  And then ...... redemption!

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I find it insane, unfathomable, ridiculous that they would throw Kyle Stowers anything resembling a strike with an 0-2 count and 2 outs. The guy had JUST swung through a high fastball that was clearly a ball. Your next pitch is a backdoor slider? What on earth were they thinking? I'm throwing Kyle Stowers 3 absolutely garbage waste pitches in that spot. It's nearly guaranteed he will swing through one of them. Just awful pitch calling. 

I'm guessing he missed.  It looks like the Catcher was setting up a bit lower than where the ball ended up.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You're right but we also don't know what the location of that pitch was supposed to be.   Just because it was thigh high or waist high doesn't mean that's where he intended it to be.    I do agree that Stowers probably chases a high fastball or a low breaking pitch there.   The frustration was growing in Stowers.   You could see it on his face.  And then ...... redemption!

It really made it extra special, because we were all expecting the K in that spot. And it would be understandable. And then, somehow, it was not the case. Lol. 

In a vacuum it was a pretty good backdoor slider. It wasn't a meatball or anything. Maybe he meant for it to dip under the zone more, but you have to read the batter. He was late AF on the heater, throw another one! Wild... how many times have we heard Palmer's "speed up the bat" line. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

Just now, interloper said:

It really made it extra special, because we were all expecting the K in that spot. And it would be understandable. And then, somehow, it was not the case. Lol. 

In a vacuum it was a pretty good backdoor slider. It wasn't a meatball or anything. Maybe he meant for it to dip under the zone more, but you have to read the batter. He was late AF on the heater, throw another one! Wild... 

As they say its a cat and mouse game.   Palmer will say all of the time when the pitcher throws 2 fastballs by a hitter and the next pitch is a slider and the hitter gets a hit, "Why do you speed the bat up there?".    He never says anything when the hitter swings and misses that pitch.   At least he doesn't question the pitch.    Also, sometimes the pitcher throws two fastballs by a hitter and he throws one more and it gets hit for a homerun.   It happens.    

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

As they say its a cat and mouse game.   Palmer will say all of the time when the pitcher throws 2 fastballs by a hitter and the next pitch is a slider and the hitter gets a hit, "Why do you speed the bat up there?".    He never says anything when the hitter swings and misses that pitch.   At least he doesn't question the pitch.    Also, sometimes the pitcher throws two fastballs by a hitter and he throws one more and it gets hit for a homerun.   It happens.    

Sure. I just think for me, I'm going with the safest pitches first. Another fastball high and out of the zone. If that doesn't work, maybe a fastball away or in. If that doesn't work, sure, toss a slider up there. Even if he meant for it to be out of the zone, it's not the safest pitch he can throw. At least if he beats you on the fastball somehow, you can say well he was late as hell a pitch before tip your cap to him. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure. I just think for me, I'm going with the safest pitches first. Another fastball high and out of the zone. If that doesn't work, maybe a fastball away or in. If that doesn't work, sure, toss a slider up there. Even if he meant for it to be out of the zone, it's not the safest pitch he can throw. At least if he beats you on the fastball somehow, you can say well he was late as hell a pitch before tip your cap to him. 

I agree.   Stowers probably chases a high fastball.   Of course, you can miss location with a fastball too.