Wild Card Contenders remaining schedules

eddie83

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I did notice yesterday Tampa finished its home schedule and finishes with a roadtrip to CLE-HOU-BOS.     The playoff opponents are probably locked into their seedings though, so just tuning up.

The Trop has been its usual strong help to them this year.

Our half-game separation from Seattle won't clear until the day of Game 161 - it was new to me recently they have a scheduled double header on the next to last day of the season, Tuesday October 4th.    

The Yanks won last night. Magic number is 2. If they win in TOR tonight they win the division. 

With TB like you said their opponents are locked in. CLE will be 3 seed with HOU the 1. NYY would have to lose every game for CLE to catch them for 2 seed. 

Of course you never know how teams will play in “meaningless” games. The teams going into postseason don’t want to get complacent but there is also letdown that can happen. The 2014 Orioles went 4-6 in their last 10. The Yankees series will be more about Judge. That said playing care free has its advantages. 

In general I will be very curious how HOU/NYY/ LAD/ CLE/STL will handle their pitching the rest of the way. I’m sure we will see some off days for regulars mixed in. HOU/NYY/LAD all will be getting byes. I can’t see BAL facing Manoah the last series. He will be set up to be the Game 1 starter of playoffs. 

The NYM/ATL race will be fun. Series next weekend in ATL. Those two will battle it out and then one has to play right away in playoffs. 

Just want the ORIOLES to finish this off as best as possible. 

Edited by eddie83

2 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

We can still do it, but this is a real test here.  They can't drop any more like the last couple.  Seattle staying in meltdown mode is probably our best chance, but we're still gonna need to 7-3 or better.  Gonna be tough, but they've shown all year they have the mettle; so let's go O's!

Here's the bottom line.   The best you can realistically hope for from us is 8-2.   If we could pull that off, which is unlikely:

-- to pass Seattle, they would have to go 3-7 (Tex/Oak/Det4)
   -- to pass Tampa, they would have to go 2-7 or worse (@Cle/@Hou/@Bos)

That's pretty tough.   As for Toronto, say we go 5-2 vs Boston and New York.   To be within 3 games of them to make next week's 3 game series meaningful, we would need them to go 1-5 (NYY/Bos).   That would put us in a 1982-type position where we would make the playoffs if we could sweep them.

Awfully tough.   Very unlikely.   But I'll be rooting for it!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Notices that every time we need the Yankees to win, their offense takes the night off. 

Yeah, it’s pretty amazing.   Before July, they were 9-4 against Toronto and 7-3 against Tampa.  Since we got into the race, they’re been 0-4 against Toronto and 4-5 against Tampa.  Also 2-4 against Seattle, all in the second half.  

Still, we can’t expect to make the playoffs playing .523 baseball.   This team just hasn’t been quite good enough.  The fact that we’re anywhere close still feels like an unexpected pleasure for 2022 and sets the team up to try to take the next step in 2023.  

• Upvote 1

With TOR winning last night, catching them has sailed.

Still think TB is the best slim option as they have a brutal schedule to finish starting tonight in CLE (unless CLE decides to rest players). SEA has been a dumpster fire (plus losing JRod) lately but they finish w/ 10 at home against OAK, TEX, and DET. OAK seems to play them tough but they should blow by TEX and DET.

Thru early games 9/27
     Elimination number for BAL by team

TOR 87-68                   2 

TB 85-69                       3 

SEA 83-69* playing now  (5) 

———————————

BAL 80-74      

HOU up big tonight. Assuming win magic  number for one seed is 1. 

NYY and CLE will be locked into 2 and 3 seeds. 

SEA 3-7 in last 10. 

They really did open the door.