Henderson coming up this week?

Roll Tide

2 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

They can still call him up after the game as long as it’s before midnight. 

LOL that would almost make less sense than not calling him up at all.  What are they waiting for if they intend to do it before 9/1?  I think the writing is on the wall here and has been for longer than people wanted to admit.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's true.  He last played August 21st which looks like he came in the 9th as a defensive replacement if I'm reading this correctly.  He only played in August 6 times overall.  I don't understand why he's here if he's not playing.  

Nevin has all of 11 at bats for the month of August, it's almost like he's a Rule 5 player the Orioles are trying to stash and want to accrue service time over playing time. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

LOL that would almost make less sense than not calling him up at all.  What are they waiting for if they intend to do it before 9/1?  I think the writing is on the wall here and has been for longer than people wanted to admit.

Pretty sure that’s hou they announced Manny or Wieters. 

1 minute ago, Snutchy said:

Pretty sure that’s hou they announced Manny or Wieters. 

Why do you mean, right after a game?  That was a long time and different regime OK. I can’t recall anyone recently being called up in that manner. 

32 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

The funny thing about Nevin is... he NEVER plays.  There is literally no reason for him to be on the roster now, let alone for the bulk of the season. 

Nevin is like Arauz who also rarely played when he was on the major league roster.

Edited by rm5678

2 minutes ago, nevadaO said:

You always have to be on the 40 man to be called up.

I thought so but was looking for some possible explanation as to why he would wait.  I haven't taken a good look at the 40 man crunch, but that might be a very real concern for Elias.  I still would err on the side of trying to win though.  

24 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Comparing it to one of the worst in-game tactical decisions any of us has ever seen is a little more than 'we're unhappy with'.  That was my point.  Additionally I just feel like the topic is old.  He'll be here when he gets here, time to move on and root for what has been a very fun team to watch instead of constantly moaning and groaning about Gunnar not being here.

A topic that is potentially impacting wins and losses in a playoff chase happening right now doesn't seem old to me. I'm unhappy that Elias is taking such a nonchalant approach to the first possible playoff berth of his tenure. These opportunities should be seized, not allowed to pass by due to a rigid adherence to a blueprint. I'm not saying he should have done anything rash, like trading prospects for an impending free agent, but if there are moves he could make that might generate small advantages right now, he should be making them (such as replacing Nevin with Henderson). Elias says he thinks this team can win a wild card spot, but his actions say he doesn't really care if they do or not. I don't think these opportunities should be dismissed so easily. Fun teams are fine, fun teams that make the post-season are better.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Why do you mean, right after a game?  That was a long time and different regime OK. I can’t recall anyone recently being called up in that manner. 

There have been times where the manager's postgame press conference has been used to announce moves the next day.   Most often when a starting pitcher is coming up to the team to start.

1 hour ago, dtk9119 said:

The fact that Henderson is still not up and someone like Nevin sent down is pure malpractice by this FO. No one is saying he would SOLVE the offensive problems but he certainly wouldn't hurt at this point. I see no logical reasons why he's not up yet. What else does he have to do? He'd be an instant upgrade over Nevin and possibly Odor.

I agree he should be up, and Nevin would be a likely guy to go.   But he isn't really a replacement for Nevin, exactly.   He wouldn't come up and take Nevin's at bats (which are negligible).   He's not going to come up and sit like Nevin.

He'd be taking at bats from Urias or Odor (and I know, we all would like to see Odor bat less, so that makes sense to ALL of us).   Bu t complaining that Nevin is here and Henderson is kind of silly because they don't fill the same role, even if Gunnar would take Nevin's roster spot.

Now if you want to complain that Odor is getting at bats that could be going to Henderson, that's obviously a valid complaint.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

There have been times where the manager's postgame press conference has been used to announce moves the next day.   Most often when a starting pitcher is coming up to the team to start.

True. Probably not for the teams #1 prospect who’s not a pitcher though  

We know for a fact they have to call up one position player on Thursday. No reason he will be called up tomorrow. If it doesn’t happen Thursday then who knows. You would have to burn someone for 10 days if you send someone down. Though he never plays they must want Nevin on the roster. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

We know for a fact they have to call up one position player on Thursday. No reason he will be called up tomorrow. If it doesn’t happen Thursday then who knows. You would have to burn someone for 10 days if you send someone down. Though he never plays they must want Nevin on the roster. 

I'm expecting a third catcher.

• Haha 1